04-21-2016, 10:44 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
We are benefiting from a renaissance  in shaving. Razors ,brushes, soaps and scents see more high quality, innovation and access that a short time past was unimagined. So it's ironic the one central item remains largely stagnant. BLADES. We all have favorites and are served well. But I have used a few precious Wilkinsons from the days of T.V. ads proclaiming " Balaclava, and a Wilkinson sword was there". I don't think it mere nostalgia or the phenomenon of  the very experimenter's influence on the experiment. But those few shaves were WOW. Those were days of
market competition and no little concern for quality and innovation. When the market was destroyed with all the multiblade, disposable JUNK somehow that quality largely left the surviving
makers. I love my Polsilvers and Kais, Feathers and others have loyal users. But I look at the overall quality of blades marketed and either men have lower expectations or just don't know how
much better it can be.
I can only hope the renaissance continues to the point some maker will say 'We can do better'.

2 3,171
 04-22-2016, 10:23 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(04-21-2016, 10:44 AM)kav Wrote: We are benefiting from a renaissance  in shaving. Razors ,brushes, soaps and scents see more high quality, innovation and access that a short time past was unimagined. So it's ironic the one central item remains largely stagnant. BLADES. We all have favorites and are served well. But I have used a few precious Wilkinsons from the days of T.V. ads proclaiming " Balaclava, and a Wilkinson sword was there". I don't think it mere nostalgia or the phenomenon of  the very experimenter's influence on the experiment. But those few shaves were WOW. Those were days of market competition and no little concern for quality and innovation. When the market was destroyed with all the multiblade, disposable JUNK somehow that quality largely left the surviving makers. I love my Polsilvers and Kais, Feathers and others have loyal users. But I look at the overall quality of blades marketed and either men have lower expectations or just don't know how
much better it can be.

I can only hope the renaissance continues to the point some maker will say 'We can do better'.

Good points. That would be me. I'm only in for a couple of years, and have never used a vintage blade. I enjoy using double and single edge blades and injectors, too. My frame of reference is the better shaves relative to carts and despisables, not current vs. vintage blade production. I'm always leery of buying vintage blades for fear of poor long-term storage conditions.

7 2,140
 04-22-2016, 11:19 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I wouldn't go near vintage either. If they haven't degraded people ask collector prices and I'm no collector. I was gifted 5 vintage Wilkinsons
some years ago . They had been bought in bulk new and carefully stored. Somebody saw what was coming- or going away!
It wasn't wishful thinking or any other influence of the experimenter on experiment. The shaves were superb, straight razor quality.

2 3,171
 04-23-2016, 04:00 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Kav, I believe what has happened is the market of today can't afford the quality of blade from days gone by if they were to be made today. I'm giving third party evidence here but one member of one of the forums I visit said he did the math and blades were more expensive, in relation to income, back in the day. With the USA and western Europe largely out of the consumer role,todays market is vastly third world men who couldn't afford that.
I use vintage exclusively. Ive been patient with pricing, and collected a store of blades that give me anywhere from two weeks to over a months worth of smooth , close shaves that I rarely if ever got from current models.

7 2,327