04-21-2016, 05:15 PM
  • Chaddy
  • North Carolina
User Info
What causes this? I can use anything from a 34c,H1,ikon tech,R41,both Cobras,mongoose. I still get 6-16 weepers everytime. Can any one help me out? My hair grows from middle of my neck straight to my ears on both sides of my neck if that makes a difference. Thanks

5 527
 04-21-2016, 05:18 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
Look closely at the quality of your lather. I have similar problems some times, and usually I can trace it back to lather that is too dry and/or non-slick. And honestly, this happened to me for many years without me realizing it. It wasn't until someone else on this forum pointed it out to me that I was able to notice it, and when I correct it, the problem goes away.

Pay it forward, brother! :-D

22 824
 04-21-2016, 05:31 PM
User Info
I agree with above and I also get less weepers ATG depending on what blade I use and even what razor I use.

I've lately been using a voshkod blade in an old type head that is just phenomenal XTG and ATG, not as good WTG. So even if my WTG pass is not quite as clean as my wolfman OC, my 2nd which is straight to ATG finishes me off nicely. I also have a very coarse and thick hair/stubble. Pressure is big too

1)Lather
2)Pressure
3)Blade choice
4)razor

26 763
 04-21-2016, 05:32 PM
User Info
+1 on checking your lather. I also sometimes get irritation when my lather is too watery, so check that as well. I like mine nice and thick.

If the irritation is on your neck, watch your angle and pressure very carefully. The neck is just a tough area to shave. I still have to go pretty slow on my neck, and in one small place on the right side, I skip ATG altogether. I do XTG from the other direction instead. It's not BBS there, but at least I don't get ingrowns there anymore.

0 1,055
 04-21-2016, 05:35 PM
User Info
+1 on the angle too!

26 763
 04-21-2016, 06:27 PM
User Info
How early are you trying to go ATG? 
I generally go WTG, XTG east, XTG west, and then ATG (if I'm doing a fourth pass at all).

26 992
 04-21-2016, 06:39 PM
  • Viking
  • Artisan - Soap & Cosmetics
  • Ames, Iowa
User Info
+100 to all the lather comments.

I never paid a ton of attention to the lather in the past and always had issues with the ATG pass. I have really sensitive skin, and only recently (within the last few months) have I realized the importance of good soap and good lather in terms of getting a smooth shave. I only have a few areas that I go ATG with and those areas are definitely easier to go ATG with good lather.

10 231
 04-22-2016, 03:47 AM
User Info
For some people, their skin cannot tolerate ATG passes, regardless of how right they get every aspect of their shave.

48 5,737
 04-22-2016, 07:14 AM
User Info
I haven't gone against the grain in years.  I can achieve the same quality of shave without it.

61 3,796
 04-22-2016, 08:45 AM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
Not me, man. If I don't go ATG, it feels like I didn't shave. No amount of buffing, scraping or hacking can smooth my stubble if I'm not going ATG.

22 824
 04-22-2016, 09:47 AM
User Info
What prep are you doing and what preshave products? Also what soap/cream? I'm somewhat of a newbie but I have always had a sensitive neck and I've discovered a few things about it - maybe they'd help. Here tis for what it's worth. Shy First, I have to wash my face multiple times (at least twice). I use Cetaphil for men face wash- it doesn't dry and contains nothing that irritates. I wash once thoroughly and rinse then I use a hot towel and hold it against my neck for about half a minute. I then rewash my face and leave the Cetaphil on for long enough to work up my lather. I then rinse my face with warm water and reapply the hot towel just prior to applying the lather. I make sure to put the later on thicker on my neck because I always shave both sides of the face before my neck. I wonder if you might be either not getting the lather right (see above) or might be letting it get a bit dry? I have also found that I have to take short strokes on the neck and be really careful to keep the skin tight (I'm 61 so that's not so easy any more). Rolleyes This is true for me even back in the cartridge days- My neck hair tends to grow the same as yours but I find that shaving fully WTG doesn't work and causes irritation- I have already found a direction, not quite WTG or across that works and doesn't lead to irritation. Blade makes a huge difference (Astras SP work best for me) and a light technique are helpful. Maybe there is an idea in there that will help.

0 8
 04-22-2016, 10:07 AM
User Info
Same thing happens to me when ATG especially around my jaw line, when I use a pre shave oil it's not that bad, Or I skip ATG all together.

2 102
 04-22-2016, 11:16 AM
User Info
I never go ATG.  Only WTG for two passes.  Rather look smooth with a shadow than be BBS with redness and razor bumps.

5 160
 04-22-2016, 12:27 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Well, if your lather is good and your angle and no pressure on the razor is correct and you still get irritation then going ATG may not be for you. 

Bob

0 1,694
 04-22-2016, 01:22 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Chaddy, all the advice above is spot on. No pressure with a sharp blade at the correct angle are key. How often do you change your blade? As Bob and Ricardo pointed out above maybe you should avoid ATG passes. Maybe try a second XTG pass instead. Also consider this; cold water shaving (there've been threads about this). This has helped tremendously with reducing irritation, redness, etc. I still wash my face with the hottest water I can tolerate. After washing and rinsing with hot water to soften the whiskers, I then rinse extensively with cold water, and also use a potassium based alum which is wonderful, btw). This "cryo-treatment" reduces the amount of blood that's drawn to the surface of my skin making it less prone to nicks. Don't forget to rinse your razor with cold water. Try it for a week Wink

4 1,948
 04-22-2016, 04:02 PM
  • Chaddy
  • North Carolina
User Info
I'll try the cold water shave tonight. I've been at this for about 10 months but I still think my lather is to dry 99% of the time.

5 527
 04-22-2016, 05:37 PM
  • UnCL3
  • Dallas, TexUS
User Info
I do an ATG pass after WTG and XTG passes. Prep is key.

I always shave after a shower. I use Stirling bath soaps exclusively now (they are really good, with lots of scents that their shave soaps come in), and vigorously wash my beard with it.
I use conditioner in my hair after shampooing, and I really notice a huge difference in my shaves if I put conditioner on my beard for a couple minutes while I wash up the rest of my bod.

Before adding conditioner to my beard, that 3rd ATG pass was a bit dicey.

DEFINITELY agree with everyone else that the main things are a good lather (and enough of it) and a sharp blade are important factors. Some blades don't work as well for me on that 3rd pass (Voskhods would be included in that group). Perhaps experimenting with a few different blades than what you've used might be something to try.

3 61
 04-23-2016, 01:13 AM
User Info
(04-22-2016, 07:14 AM)hrfdez Wrote: I haven't gone against the grain in years.  I can achieve the same quality of shave without it.

How? Care to share your routine?

11 1,149
 04-25-2016, 09:13 PM
User Info
Im able to make 1with 1across and 2 against the grain passes with no irratation. I like getting real close shaves, lucky for me my skin can handle it.

4 84
 05-16-2016, 08:27 PM
User Info
I can go ATG on most of my neck, jaw and chin without lasting irritation but it's taken a year of practice.  If I go ATG on my cheeks I get razor bumps.  So I don't do it anymore.

11 968