04-21-2016, 08:53 PM
User Info
This thread is for us Pre Shave product guys. If you don't like to use a pre shave product, then just skip this thread - it's not for you  Wink

I used to, and still do, enjoy the 3 Proraso pre shave creams.

My problem with them is that they are thick and you need to ony use a little, so I find it difficult to apply it all over my face, without adding too mch of the cream. I subsequently then have to add water to my face to thin the pre shave cream out and spread it over my beard area.
Once I get it right, the Proraso pre shave creams works very well for me and always add extra quality and protection to my shave.

But I have found, what I think could end up being my preferred pre shave products, that for me works better than the Proraso pre shave creams.

* Myrsol Emulsion. This cream is very thin and liquid like. Distributes very easily all over the beard area. Protects and adds glide during the shave. Mixes great with the lather. I own the 180 ml glass bottle version of this, but also own the 200 ml plastic bottle, which is perfect for travelling.

* Geo F. Trumper Skin Food. This stuff is amazing. The glycerine and very thin oily substance makes it work perfectly as a pre shave produt. Mixes great with the lather, adds that little extra protection and improves the glide of the razor. And you have 3 great scents to choose from. I just bought all 3 scents, Coral (Rose), Lime and Sandalwood in the 200 ml plastic bottles. Great stuff. Only use 2 drops, not more than this.

What is your favourite pre shave product ?

24 5,965
 04-22-2016, 02:39 AM
User Info
Hi Claus,

I'm a user of preshave products and whilst I enjoy using the Proraso preshave red and trumpers lime, I prefer the Water soluble preshave oil by Executive shaving. It's lime and patchouli scented its pleasant to use whilst being light and easy to apply & wash off from the hands. The price is reasonable too.

The products that I would like to try are Castle Forbes pre shave and Truefitt and Hill preshave oil..haven't got around to buying them yet.

1 213
 04-22-2016, 05:54 AM
User Info
I like the Proraso white pres-have but lately I have been using Noxzema in the blue tub.  Seems to work as well as the Proraso but at 1/4 the price.  I don't care for it's scent though.

0 9
 04-22-2016, 06:57 AM
User Info
(04-21-2016, 08:53 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: This thread is for us Pre Shave product guys. If you don't like to use a pre shave product, then just skip this thread - it's not for you  Wink

My problem with them is that they are thick and you need to ony use a little, so I find it difficult to apply it all over my face, without adding too mch of the cream. I subsequently then have to add water to my face to thin the pre shave cream out and spread it over my beard area.
Once I get it right, the Proraso pre shave creams works very well for me and always add extra quality and protection to my shave.

But I have found, what I think could end up being my preferred pre shave products, that for me works better than the Proraso pre shave creams.

* Myrsol Emulsion. This cream is very thin and liquid like. Distributes very easily all over the beard area. Protects and adds glide during the shave. Mixes great with the lather. I own the 180 ml glass bottle version of this, but also own the 200 ml plastic bottle, which is perfect for travelling.

* Geo F. Trumper Skin Food. This stuff is amazing. The glycerine and very thin oily substance makes it work perfectly as a pre shave produt. Mixes great with the lather, adds that little extra protection and improves the glide of the razor. And you have 3 great scents to choose from. I just bought all 3 scents, Coral (Rose), Lime and Sandalwood in the 200 ml plastic bottles. Great stuff. Only use 2 drops, not more than this.

I use Proraso green pre shave. I pat the face with a soft towel after my bath so that little moisture is still there on the face. Now, when I am applying pre shave, I know how much is good enough for me. 

You are right, too much of it will grease the face and might make the shaving difficult.

I am also using Castle Forbes - water soluble pre shave.

Other products that I have used in the past and were quiet effective were pre shave oils by Dermalogica and Clarins. Very light in texture and soothing fragrance.

1 796
 04-22-2016, 06:58 AM
User Info
(04-21-2016, 08:53 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: This thread is for us Pre Shave product guys. If you don't like to use a pre shave product, then just skip this thread - it's not for you  Wink

I use Proraso green pre shave. I pat the face with a soft towel after my bath so that little moisture is still there on the face. Now, when I am applying pre shave, I know how much is good enough for me. 

You are right, too much of it will grease the face and might make the shaving difficult.

Other products that I have used in the past and were quiet effective were pre shave oils by Dermalogica and Clarins. Very light in texture and soothing fragrance.

1 796
 04-22-2016, 07:00 AM
User Info
(04-22-2016, 06:58 AM)Jags009 Wrote:

Sorry for the duplicate post. I don't know how to delete it...sorry again.

1 796
 04-22-2016, 07:20 AM
User Info
I have two that standout above the crowd for me:

Mickey Lee's Pre Shave Butter

And

Maggards Pre Shave Oil

Both perform exceptionally well, both have great scent choices, you can custom both by adding your own scent of choice and they don't make a mess of the sink!

4 642
 04-22-2016, 07:56 AM
User Info
I have used trumpers skin food as a pre-shave in the past, but these days just wash my face with a glycerine based bar soap ($1 at whole foods) beforehand.

28 1,084
 04-22-2016, 09:59 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(04-21-2016, 08:53 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: What is your favourite pre shave product ?

There are two, and I use both every day.

In the shower, I apply a drop of hair conditioner (Burt’s Bees More Moisture with Baobab or OGX Argan Oil of Morocco) — after washing my face — to the beard area the first thing when I enter the shower, and rinse it off at the end of the shower.

After the shower, while filling the mug and sink with hot water, I apply a very thin layer of Noxzema Classic Clean Original to my beard area, and then I lather right over the Noxzema.

Atari mae. (あたり まえ)

1 1,087
 04-22-2016, 10:02 AM
User Info
I have tried several pre-shave products

Proraso 
Phoenix Cactus Glycerin Bar
Razorock Lime Oil
Razorock Gel
Chiseled Face Gel
Homemade concoction of various oils/eo's

I have come to the conclusion that I am more of a gel person when it comes to pre-shave; I am especially liking the new Chiseled Face product.

5 139
 04-22-2016, 10:28 AM
User Info
+1 on the Trumpers skin food. Lime is my favorite but the coral is great (I may actually change my mind on this one as I've been using lime longer). Smile I use the Cetaphil for men daily face wash (it's glycerine based) for cleansing then apply the skin food.

0 8
 04-22-2016, 11:05 AM
User Info
I always use Nancy Boy pre-shave oil and I normally use GFT Skin Food (Coral) after I shave.  Thanks for the tip, Claus, now I'll try the Skin Food as pre-shave.  I agree it is very slick so I can see the benefit.

0 173
 04-22-2016, 11:51 AM
  • RobinK
  • I like things that work.
  • Munich, Germany
User Info
An interesting question. Over the years, I have tried quite a few. Two stood out, one remained.

The one that stood out was Castle Forbes' "The Pre Shave". I would highly recommend it to DE users, of which I am not one.

The one that remained was Meißner Tremonia "Gentle Menthol". Now, I do realise that it is not available in the US yet. Consider it "Mint Ice Menthol"'s less rogue brother. 

Why did the latter stay, and the other not? 

The answer depends on what you expect your pre shave product to achieve. If you are looking for additional glide or "cushion", you are looking in the wrong place anyway. Your shaving soap (or cream) should provide that. If they do not, get a better, less pedestrian, product. 

If you are looking for something that will de-grease your bristles, both Castle Forbes and Meißner Tremonia are safe bets.

For me, Meißner Tremonia's pre shave soaps combine performance with outstanding packaging, and scent. Instant win.

0 197
 04-22-2016, 05:45 PM
User Info
I just started using pre-shave as a test run for a few weeks.  I'm currently using pre-shave butter from Chantillon Lux Co.  Very nice with a great mild Lavender scent.  It definitely helps on a two day growth, which is the only time I would use any type of pre-shave.

61 3,796
 04-24-2016, 04:47 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
After trying several pre-shave products over the years I've gone back to basics: warm/hot tap water; works like a charm every time.

7 909
 04-24-2016, 02:17 PM
User Info
Nivea Creme

1 297
 04-24-2016, 04:54 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
I use a pre-shave every day. For the past 15 months or so, I've used Myrsol Emulsion 99% of the time. The only other one I've used during that period is Alt Innsbruck pre-/post-shave, but I always go back to Emulsion the next day. Before that period, I tried a bunch, including Proraso, Crown, Skin Food, TOBS oil, Village Barber and others that I've forgotten. 

Aside from my trusty Georgetown scuttle, Emulsion is the only product I use (almost) every day, and in about a month (or two--it seems to last forever!), it will become the first shaving software product that I will have used up completely. I only use a small dab, and I never use it post-shave. 

Great choice, Claus!

6 349
 04-25-2016, 02:31 PM
User Info
I enjoy the three Proraso preshave creams and Noxema Classic.  I alternate among the four depending on the soap I am planning to use. In the past I used a homemade preshave oil, but after I discovered the creams I haven't used the PS oil.

0 43
 04-27-2016, 06:51 AM
User Info
My two favorites are Myrsol Emulsion and Antisol but I find myself using the Antisol more so I would have to go with that.

3 920
 04-27-2016, 02:26 PM
User Info
I've tried a number of preshave products (preshave oil, skinfood, glycerine soaps) and the only one that I've noticed any improvement in my shave is Myrsol Emulsion. Of course, this is in addition to my usual hot shower before shaving.

3 92