04-22-2016, 06:40 AM
User Info
Friends,

I've been using cheap brushes for a while now and I'm ready to upgrade a bit to a nicer Badger...

I'd like to keep the cost in the $75 range, but am a bit flexible if needed.

I've read that the Simpson Colonel X2L is the best bang for the buck in this price range, but would really welcome other opinions as well.

Thanks all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

27 278
 04-22-2016, 06:52 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Stubble Daddy,
One of the best brushes in that price range I have tried is the Simpson Commodore X3 in best badger. This is somewhat similar to the Duke 3 best badger, like the poor cousin. Good stuff the Commodore X3. Semogue also has several badger brushes in that range — I forget the model numbers.

150 3,034
 04-22-2016, 06:54 AM
User Info
Take a look at a Simpsons, Colonel X2L.  It is only made in best.  I have had mine for a couple of years and it still is a great brush.  BullGoose sells it for $77.

0 253
 04-22-2016, 07:07 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Phil has some very nice Edwin Jaggers in your price range. Your other option is to double down and invest in a premium brush. If you have a small rotation it is likely you will eventually have more than one badger anyway. Think of FILSONS clothing logo " Might as well have the best" and consider PALADIN or Vie-Long if they make another run of badger. Both have exemplary reputations and actually talk to their customers.

2 3,171
 04-22-2016, 07:15 AM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
The Colonel X2 or Commodore X3 would be my recommendation in that price range.

2 1,683
 04-22-2016, 07:18 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Look at Semogue 2015HD, Semogue 2040HD, Simpson's Duke 3, or the aforementioned Colonel and Commodore models.

7 2,148
 04-22-2016, 09:42 AM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
If you could jump to the $90 range, Duke 2 is excellent.

1 795
 04-22-2016, 10:05 AM
User Info
I think that if your experience so far has been cheap floppy starter badger brushes you really cannot go wrong with any of the Simpsons Best brushes the quality of the hair and the handle is like night and day to the cheapie stuff and they will last a lifetime if cared for.

5 139
 04-22-2016, 10:10 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(04-22-2016, 10:05 AM)Azpatriot66 Wrote: I think that if your experience so far has been cheap floppy starter badger brushes you really cannot go wrong with any of the Simpsons Best brushes the quality of the hair and the handle is like night and day to the cheapie stuff and they will last a lifetime if cared for.

Sisi Yes.

7 2,148
 04-22-2016, 10:14 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I agree with the Colonel being excellent value.  As an alternative, however, you should consider a shavemac brush with a finest badger knot.  Through the Expert section on the shavemac website you can build your own brush: choice of knot diameter, loft and shape; choice of handle style and colour (note that the prices shown include 19% VAT and is deducted at checkout if shipped out of the EU).  I think shavemac's finest badger is the equal of Simpson's best badger.

7 909
 04-22-2016, 10:38 AM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
(04-22-2016, 06:52 AM)Obie Wrote: Stubble Daddy,
One of the best brushes in that price range I have tried is the Simpson Commodore X3 in best badger. This is somewhat similar to the Duke 3 best badger, like the poor cousin. Good stuff the Commodore X3. Semogue also has several badger brushes in that range — I forget the model numbers.

I agree with this!  Commodore x3 is a great buy for the money!

Eric

48 976
 04-22-2016, 11:08 AM
User Info
I'm seriously eyeing the Commodore X3 and Colonel X2L at the moment... they seem pretty similar... thoughts?

How does the Duke 2 compare to the Commodore and Colonel?

27 278
 04-22-2016, 01:17 PM
User Info
Saw the Duke 2 selling for around 60-65 bucks the other day on Amazon. Might still be there man.

11 1,169
 04-22-2016, 01:18 PM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
I have the two mentioned Simpson brushes, the commodore and colonel. I prefer the commodore although the colonel handle is very nice. 

I have also used several silver tips from Frank Shaving. These, in my opinion are  superior in softness and quality to the entry level Simpson. They do not hold the resale value a Simpson will however.

7 450
 04-22-2016, 01:20 PM
User Info
(04-22-2016, 01:18 PM)jtmke Wrote: I have the two mentioned Simpson brushes, the commodore and colonel. I prefer the commodore although the colonel handle is very nice. 

I have also used several silver tips from Frank Shaving. These, in my opinion are  superior in softness and quality to the entry level Simpson. They do not hold the resale value a Simpson will however.

Actually as you say this...it is pretty darn hard to go wrong with a Whipped Dog Silvertip. 

Larry does nice work, his knots are good and the price is very very reasonable.

5 139
 04-22-2016, 01:41 PM
  • srgjazz
  • Santa Monica
User Info
Henri et Victoria Luxury. Cannot beat this for the price. Much nicer than my Chubby 1 and Duke 2 in Best.

48 679
 04-22-2016, 03:00 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(04-22-2016, 06:40 AM)Stubble Daddy Wrote: Friends,

I've been using cheap brushes for a while now and I'm ready to upgrade a bit to a nicer Badger...

I'd like to keep the cost in the $75 range, but am a bit flexible if needed.

I've read that the Simpson Colonel X2L is the best bang for the buck in this price range, but would really welcome other opinions as well.

I have found that in many areas of life automobile analogies are well-understood, and so I shall use one here.

The equivalent of a loaded Honda Accord among badger shaving brushes is THIS  ONE (link).  That very model has been made by one of the most prolific and experienced makers of badger brushes in the Western world for a very long time, and it is that makers best seller in North America — and has been a best seller for a long time — decades.  You cannot go wrong with it; it is durable and reliable; and it is a solid performer.   I used one myself for about 25 years, to the exclusion of other brushes, and I never witnessed it losing a hair over that time. 

Continuing the automobile analogy, it is not a Tesla, but it is not priced commensurate with a Tesla, either.  (The Simpsons brand now is owned by Vulfix, and both Vulfix and Simpsons brushes are made on the Isle of Man.)

1 1,089
 04-22-2016, 06:20 PM
User Info
At this price range for new badger brushes there's still a risk of getting something less than desirable.  I agree that a Simpson colonel or commodore x3 is the safe choice.  But Stephen's recommendation, the Henri et Victoria, seems intriguing.   Looks like a bargain priced 2-band bulb to me, and a lot of brush for the money!

Or you could wait and find a Duke 3 or Shavemac/Savile Row for sale on the BST.

11 973
 04-22-2016, 09:48 PM
User Info
For 75, you can go custom with a quality knot. I just worked with Scott at L&L Grooming on a custom handle

https://www.landlgrooming.com/pages/custom-brushes

2 107
 04-22-2016, 11:11 PM
User Info
Another option would be a Vie-Long 2-band - a variety of the small and medium ones are available in your price range...

I personally have a large Vie-Long Epsilon and the knot is IMO far superior to a Simpson in Best

7 904