04-22-2016, 01:16 PM
User Info
I have been wet shaving for 2 years now...started off on Amazon with a tweezerman, some Arko and a bag of blade samples no clue as to what I was doing. Fast forward and now there is something like 16-20 brushes, 1/2 dozen razors and 75+ soaps/AS. It's all well and good but I look now and somewhere after about a month of wet shaving I got lazy.

I realized this as I watched some of the YouTube pro's making lather and I asked myself why my face lather consistency seems to be so hit/miss.

The truth is I improved to a point in my lathering, blade selection and technique was probably adequate from where i started and then I just quit trying to improve.

My hit list for improvement in no specific order:

Continue to improve my lathering making...it is getting better (not enough water and too much product or too much water/not enough product before)

Re-visit blades...I used so many different types but I did not pay attention or do it methodically to be able remember. (I just know Astras don't hurt me and Derby's do)

Review and share more items (it really is great to read reviews) and do some PIF's (as many helped me out when I first started)

Learn to trade & stop buying new soaps/AS when I can try something different and others can too. 

So if you could improve your shave what would it be?

5 139
 04-22-2016, 01:25 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Post shave cleanup. I rinse my brush and razor but sometimes the counter looks like Mickey Mouse in THE SORCEROR'S APPRENTICE until I return from errands to rearrange the countertop in accordance with a metaphysical book on Feng Shuiving- pucks arranged with lettering facing the same way, razors on a magnetic compass bearing towards BULLGOOSE, splashes angled to catch the light like diamonds.

2 3,171
 04-22-2016, 02:37 PM
User Info
Every soap is unique and you have to learn to tame the beast!

24 698
 04-22-2016, 04:14 PM
User Info
Stop buying shaving brushes for my photos. Biggrin

82 21,056
 04-22-2016, 04:18 PM
User Info
Need to get more lather out of my badger brushes. Not sure what it is, but even with a big brush, I have a hard time getting 3 passes out of it when I should have enough to shave a bear.

0 517
 04-22-2016, 06:07 PM
User Info
(04-22-2016, 04:18 PM)DamnitGoose Wrote: Need to get more lather out of my badger brushes. Not sure what it is, but even with a big brush, I have a hard time getting 3 passes out of it when I should have enough to shave a bear.

Lad, load, load partner Biggrin

61 3,796
 04-22-2016, 06:08 PM
User Info
Not much right now.  I feel pretty good about my technique, hardware, and software.

61 3,796
 04-22-2016, 06:10 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
My pocketbook.

38 5,034
 04-23-2016, 04:03 PM
User Info
I'm actually at a really good place in terms of technique and gear. I use a single, aggressive razor with a few brushes (trending towards more scrub & backbone). I have the most variety in software, and have settled on just a few blade choices. 

I'm at the point where I enjoy each shave and revel in a nice variety of soaps and aftershaves.

26 986
 04-26-2016, 05:14 PM
User Info
I have been at it now for about a year and a half.  

I went through the "acquisition and trying things out" phase.  During this time, I learned some things about gear, and my shaves improved to the point that on good days I could get DFS/BBS in 2-3 passes and finally could get almost BBS on my neck without significant razor burn/irritation.  But the quality of my shaves went up and down within a certain range.  Some good, some just ok.  And every now and then, a bad shave -- lots of irritation.

In the last few months I have settled on using one or two different razors at a time, rather than a different one every shave.  Michael Ham can do this an get a BBS in total comfort every time, but he's been wetshaving for 30 years.

By limiting the variables, my shaves got more consistent.  Now I use 1-2 razors most of the time and I'm thinking of selling most of my others.

I've settled on Feathers, GSBs and Gillette Platinums as my go-to blades and I'm likely to sell or trade the others.  I also don't use any blade more than 3 times.

Soaps are a different story.  I have now learned how to recognize when my lather is properly thick and hydrated, which is achieved differently with different products.

My advice to you is:

Limit your variables: one or two razors max, one or two blades max.

Focus on making great lather.  My two visual/feel criteria are: shiny lather with no visible bubbles, and "falling" peaks.  Take some lather in one hand, use your other to pull the lather into a peak and then release: if the lather remains in a stiff, meringue-like peak then it's not hydrated enough.  If it falls over into a curl like a breaking wave, you're there.  Another version is how the lather behaves on your face -- if it almost sloughs off/slides down your face as you shave, then it's right.

11 967
 04-27-2016, 03:19 AM
User Info
Pressure specially when I am feeling tired from a long day, I usually shave at night.

10 1,141
 04-27-2016, 06:00 AM
User Info
My saving money.

I thought switching to wetshaving was supposed to do that.....

82 2,179
 04-27-2016, 06:06 AM
User Info
After 3 years of wet shaving the concept I struggle with daily is less pressure/lighter touch.  Using a Feather AC and IBC shavette helped me learn and implement the mandatory light touch for successfully using shavettes, but for some reason when I go back to SE or DE the concept eludes me.  Today irritation issues are always related to me going after my face with the razor like chopping wood with an axe.  Then I remember, lighten the touch for some BBS goodness, get a great shave, and forget the concept the next day lol

It seems to be like golf.  Think about what makes sense, then do the opposite : )  If you want the ball to go farther, don't swing so hard.  If you want a BBS irritation free shave, lighten up.

6 223
 04-28-2016, 09:22 AM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
shaving I think I am ok

my back swing kick and jump roundhouse,  they need a lot of work.

7 445
 04-28-2016, 09:45 AM
User Info
Maintaining a constant and correct blade angle the ENTIRE time the razor is touching my face.

The correct blade angle is within a VERY narrow range. Unless I focus at all times keeping within that small tolerance, I'm either riding the top of the razor a little bit and not shaving close, or I'm scraping my face instead of cutting clean. 

I find it all too easy to get sloppy with the razor handle, whipping it around a bit in a casual manner and not keeping to that perfect angle of blade to face.

20 162
 04-28-2016, 09:54 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(04-27-2016, 06:00 AM)Skinny Rogers Wrote: My saving money.

I thought switching to wetshaving was supposed to do that.....

+1  Signs011

49 1,940
 04-28-2016, 11:58 AM
  • Viking
  • Artisan - Soap & Cosmetics
  • Ames, Iowa
User Info
I see a lot of myself in the OPs comments. I got lazy as heck about the whole process. I found a process that was 'getting me by' with a nice shave, but things always to be improved on. Lately have been focusing a lot of effort on lathering, that was by far my most deficient area. Like the old adage, "I used more product and it worked!" seems to be ringing especially true for me currently.

10 231
 04-29-2016, 05:43 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
The growth of my whiskers. Once a day seven days a week isn't enough.

7 2,281
 04-30-2016, 08:32 PM
  • DJL813
  • Darien, CT
User Info
Have always been a bowl latherer...well recently I purchased a few boar hair brushes (Semogue and Omega) to begin the journey of face lathering and must say I find it quite enjoyable. Need to keep working on my technique until I can get the same consistency I achieve from the bowl.

123 533
 05-02-2016, 08:59 PM
User Info
(04-30-2016, 08:32 PM)DJL813 Wrote: Have always been a bowl latherer...well recently I purchased a few boar hair brushes (Semogue and Omega) to begin the journey of face lathering and must say I find it quite enjoyable. Need to keep working on my technique until I can get the same consistency I achieve from the bowl.

Synthetic brushes make face lathering a breeze...!

11 967