04-22-2016, 10:15 PM
User Info
My stainless steel Wolfman WR1 head arrived on Monday.   I had ordered it on June 25, 2015 and got on the list at the old CDN 125 price.  It was shipped on April 6, so it took about 2 weeks to make it to NorCal.  Actually, James contacted me at the end of February to say he was ready to make mine, but somehow communications went awry, and I lost a little over a month before my order got finalized. Wisely, I went ahead and had James send me a WRH2 handle last June rather than wait on that too.  I've been enjoying using that with my various ATT head combinations all this time.

It was a long time in coming, but the Wolfman lives up to its reputation both in terms of its aesthetics and its function.  I got the polished SB head and it is indeed a work of art.,, a little gem. While I love the brilliant finish and it goes so nicely with the handle, it does get cloudy with soap so you need to keep buffing it, so perhaps the brushed might have been a better fit to my temperament.  However, the PH is a visual contrast with my ATT heads, and that is what I wanted.

I had trouble deciding on the head specs.  My original order was for the combination open/SB head with the standard gap  (standard was really standard back when I placed the order). When James first said he was ready to make it, I switched to the SB head and the more aggressive .74mm gap. This was based on my reading of all the Wolfman posts, and James' recommendation after I told him that my favorite ATT head was the R1.  However, with more reading and more thought, I felt that I might like something even smoother that the .74 and asked James to make mine with a compromise, .67mm gap, which he did.

Anyway,  I've used it for 3 days and love it.  It didn't take any time to adapt to it from the ATT.  The gap choice seems perfect. My standard 3+ passes yield BBS with no irritation or weepers.  I used the R1 this morning for comparison and feel that are booth very similar.  Maybe a little more "lighting up" today with the post shave splash (but after all, it was Clubman Friday), and I might be imagining, but is the BBS not as long-lasting tonight?  Anyway, it's hard to say that the 10 month wait was worth it... but I guess it was.

4 100
 04-22-2016, 10:44 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
So you finally can enjoy the great shaves these razors give. I ordered a .67mm gap for a sick friend of mine in the Netherlands and he is also very pleased with it, I did try it out before sending it to him and I liked it (but for me the .74 is still the prefered one).

28 1,442
 04-23-2016, 01:56 AM
User Info
Hi everyone.

These long wait times are coming to an end.

The purpose was to serve customers, not to annoy them.   It takes much longer to keep a list and contact each customer individually than to just make items and randomly put them on a website.   Either scenario (long waits vs checking a website for stock) can be frustrating.

I don't accept deposits, so it doesn't actually cost anything to wait.   Waiting is free, so technically it should be 'worth it', having costed nothing, and having no obligation.  Because of the long time period, my first communication begins with "If you are still interested..."

Sometimes it takes weeks just to finalize an order.   I reach out to several people at once, and get different responses at different times.   After many months, things have sometimes changed with the customer, and also the options and designs that are available.   The idea that another long wait might be inevitable, customers want to be sure about their decision.   I don't like to rush them to decide.

Sometimes I get distracted, and need to go through emails just to see if I've missed anyone.   This has happened, and I have been making improvements to avoid repeating this.

This system is going to change, and for good reason.    I would like to continue to contact each customer and serve them individually.    But I will need to take short lists instead.   I'm also considering making things available on the website as well, if I can.

I'll have details coming in a newsletter but I wanted to respond to this post because of the title and apparent disappointment over waiting.   I don't expect any solution to be perfect but I do have good intentions, and I expect things to improve.

James

0 19
 04-23-2016, 02:59 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
I would be very surprised if people where disappointed in their razor once they received them, no matter how long the wait was. Everyone wants everything yesterday ;-)

Sounds to me like you need a secretary to handle all the emails so you can keep the machines turning. Looking forward to all things new in the future and I can only hope I'll be able to be among those that can order from the start of the new lists. Either way I'm pretty sure I'll be very very happy once I receive mine. One thing is for sure, my 4 Wolfman pieces are going nowhere and those that I give the opportunity to try them are waiting to order ASAP.

28 1,442
 04-23-2016, 03:23 AM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
Hi James.  Great to hear from you.  Is there a limit on how many razors a person can buy once their name comes up?  I see a number of guys with multiple Wolfman razors while the majority of us out there are patiently waiting in queue.  Perhaps limiting it to one razor/handle per order would speed things up for everyone?  Just an idea.

I've been waiting for months just for the waiting list to open up again.  Lol.

Eric

48 976
 04-23-2016, 04:40 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
I think you appreciate your Wolfman more and more as you use it.  I used an Above The Tie M2 as my only razor before I got my Wolfman OC.  After the first few shaves, I gave them a tie on performance, but the aesthetics obviously went to the Wolfman.  I started paying more attention to the angle on my Wolfman and started getting better shaves.  I don't feel the blade as much on the Wolfman, so I was getting a little sloppy and not using the most efficient angle with the Wolfman.  I now choose the Wolfman 9 times out of 10.  I use the ATT when I travel and when I'm in a hurry since the brushed finish on the ATT does not require the extra wipe down like the polished finish on the Wolfman.  

I dunk my Wolfman in alcohol and wipe it with a lense cloth that I got with my eye glasses and it looks brand new.  You might want to try that to see if it helps with the cloudiness.

3 561
 04-23-2016, 05:06 AM
User Info
(04-23-2016, 01:56 AM)WolfmanRazors Wrote: Hi everyone.

The purpose was to serve customers, not to annoy them.   It takes much longer to keep a list and contact each customer individually than to just make items and randomly put them on a website.   Either scenario (long waits vs checking a website for stock) can be frustrating.

I don't accept deposits, so it doesn't actually cost anything to wait.   Waiting is free, so technically it should be 'worth it', having costed nothing, and having no obligation.  Because of the long time period, my first communication begins with "If you are still interested..."

Sometimes it takes weeks just to finalize an order.   I reach out to several people at once, and get different responses at different times.   After many months, things have sometimes changed with the customer, and also the options and designs that are available.   The idea that another long wait might be inevitable, customers want to be sure about their decision.   I don't like to rush them to decide.

Sometimes I get distracted, and need to go through emails just to see if I've missed anyone.   This has happened, and I have been making improvements to avoid repeating this.

This system is going to change, and for good reason.    I would like to continue to contact each customer and serve them individually.    But I will need to take short lists instead.   I'm also considering making things available on the website as well, if I can.

I'll have details coming in a newsletter but I wanted to respond to this post because of the title and apparent disappointment over waiting.   I don't expect any solution to be perfect but I do have good intentions, and I expect things to improve.

James
Hi James,
I too recently got on your waiting list. I say keep doing what you're doing. I'd rather wait 10 months....or however long it takes, for a quality product like yours.  I appreciate your customer focus and attention to detail. However long it takes for you to continue doing exactly what you're doing is ok with me.   I wish more people/companies worked like you. I think that the problem with today, vs yesterday, is that in the past people were willing to wait for quality and didn't have to have their needs satisfied immediately. In my opinion, the desire for instant gratification has hurt this society in so many countless ways.  I appreciate having someone like you, a true craftsman, provide me with a quality product.  The satisfaction I get from your razor goes beyond just shaving.

0 30
 04-23-2016, 10:29 AM
User Info

James

James,
I think I speak for the masses when I say the wait for these razors in worth every second. I was able to purchase 1 second hand at an inflated rate and it was worth every penny. Keep up the good work, a wolfman belongs in every wet shavers den and the manner in which you are going about this is nothing less than professional and noteworthy. Thank you for your contributions to our community. I look forward to hopefully getting on your new list when it opens

28 781
 04-23-2016, 11:25 AM
User Info
I speak as someone on the other end of a lengthy wait, but I agree with the above posters. James, keep doing what you're doing. The quality speaks for itself a hundred times over, and the individual treatment and inordinately high level of customer service you provide feeds back on itself. People don't just want a Wolfman Razor - they want the Wolfman Experience.

16 1,027
 04-23-2016, 12:17 PM
User Info
James, thanks for taking the time to share your views with us.  I am a very happy and proud owner, keep up the good work my friend.

61 3,796
 04-23-2016, 12:25 PM
User Info
I was very lucky to have had the opportunity to purchase my Wolfman from a fellow TSN member. Knowing what I know now, would I have endured the long wait on the waiting list? Absolutely. I feel like King Arthur wielding Excalibur with this razor. I admit that I am on the Varlet list for 6 months and counting now, and have no problems being patient. I like the fact that the waiting list system is fair to everyone. It's a perfectly good system IMO. But if James comes up with improvements, that's great as well.

40 1,166
 04-23-2016, 12:36 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Just pause and consider how quickly a full moon turned Lon Chaney Jr into a WOLFMAN. No folklore can hurry quality- only talk about it in wonder.

2 3,171
 04-23-2016, 01:15 PM
User Info
Good discussion and information here, taking notes for my own Wolfman experience for when the SE comes around Wink

1 115
 04-24-2016, 04:54 AM
User Info

James

0 12
 04-25-2016, 04:08 PM
User Info
Thanks James!

Ok, here's how I see it -- 10 months for a $300 "best in [all] classes" top-of-the line work of stainless steel razor artisanship.  

$30 a month.  

$1 a day...

I think I can squirrel away a dollar a day without my wife noticing.  Smile

0 377
 04-25-2016, 06:19 PM
User Info
I wear the waiting period as a badge of honor, period! Biggrin

61 3,796
 04-25-2016, 07:56 PM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
Come on August group! Great reaponses.

143 1,984
 04-25-2016, 08:35 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Niemander's fiendish plan has one salient flaw I discovered myself. You put a dollar in a mason jar for x. Then you look at Y and it's another dollar and mason jar. A few months and you absolutely must have Z. The end result finds you retrieving half empty, cold Starbucks from the trash when the Barrista isn't looking and seek out a microwave. You take scissors to remove frayed edges from work shirts and steal avocados from commercial orchards ( a felony in California) and get shot at by 6th generation Chicano supervisors jumping barbed wire fences looking like an alien is about to burst from you frayed shirt belly region holding the illicit fruit. Finally, concerned girlfriends intercede and you get paid a welfare check by LEOs heavy in leather and steel with another Chicana social worker ( Cal state Domingos Hills 2015) who peers behind her clipboard at a fridge holding only pasta, wilted celery and preground coffee.
But in the bathroom there are 4 razors, 19 pucks of soap, 10 years of blades etc etc. and the cat litterbox holds soil matching volume with the freshly dug hole  outside the LEO tripped in. finally, they discover those mason jars and you cry NOOOOOO!!!!! that's for my Wolfman, Paladin and Norwegian LE soap.
The ambulance pulls away, siren muted as neighbors gather in circles whispering.

2 3,171