04-23-2016, 02:56 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I was on EBAY looking for my Darwin at buy it now for $5. I came across these things. Retail is @ $15. Head look familiar? isn't it amazing how quickly the high end SS razors were mimicked?[Image: angvGUd.jpg][Image: eiZQXjq.jpg][Image: EZZod3L.jpg]

2 3,171
 04-23-2016, 03:06 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
The first two razors share a Merkur- type head and the third one a EJ/ Muhle- type. The finish on these seems to have some imperfections, but I'm not sure, maybe it's the light or the angle.

The handle of the first one seems familiar too, it's the same with the one that Timor razors have.

49 1,999
 04-24-2016, 04:07 AM
User Info
Nikos you are right the S&S razors are clone heads, but badly done. They are typically riddled with imperfections and cause a wavy blade that may be harmful to the face

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 517
 04-24-2016, 02:23 PM
User Info
the handles are decent for the price the heads are garbage.

16 660
 04-24-2016, 03:32 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Hey, but they came up with a name full of gravitas. It bothers my appreciation for artistic and gifted craftsmen to see their efforts parroted with shoddy knockoffs. It bothers me even more that people actually buy this stuff. Good, functional razors can be made at a low price point: Phil's new line and others manage it. I imagine the raw materials are begging to corrode and return to their elemental forms to be reborn as Wolfmans or ATTs

2 3,171
 04-25-2016, 08:04 AM
User Info
It isn't so much that Scotch & Stowe are ripping the originals off - it's that they purchased from suppliers who are cloning them.

Scotch & Stowe is a husband and wife duo out of Ohio. They're nice people, and very customer service oriented. I bought a few of their razors off the bay, and they sent out fresh ones when I asked about imperfections. (I did *not* experience a wavy blade.) 

Casie of Maggard's has publicly stated they don't have a problem with the handle cloning. The heads are most similar to the v1 Maggard's heads (at the time that I ordered, at least.)

Note that the Maggard's v1 head was also prone to imperfections (I had a few) and Maggard's excellent customer service came through there, too.

4 180
 05-01-2016, 08:01 PM
User Info
i can say the quality of the maggards handles imo is much better then the s+s ones from the ones i have handled not sure if they are made by the same people but the fit and finish was better on the maggards

16 660
 05-02-2016, 03:30 AM
User Info
$15 is pretty good for that wave handle (looks like a Maggard MR5).

16 1,027