04-23-2016, 05:52 PM
User Info
I'm wondering ppls opinions on the brown box wizamet polsilvers. I'd like a relative comparison to the new polsilver super iridium's if possible. Especially blade thickness would be nice.

I enjoy the new polsilver super iridium's but they are quite thin and flexible, I have to be particularly careful on my neck with these blades. They are smooth, they keep me on my toes. I may enjoy the Gillette platinums a touch more. The only downfall with the platinums is on my chin, they can tug on the first pass due to my coarse stubble. I've only tried a few shaves with a voshkod, but these may be my new blade, smooth, sharp, thicker than the polsilver and no wax spots. Sorry for getting off topic

Thank you for the opinions in advance

28 779
 04-23-2016, 06:28 PM
User Info
When you say New super Iridiums, do you mean the Polsilvers super iridium?

13 775
 04-23-2016, 06:39 PM
User Info
(04-23-2016, 06:28 PM)snowman Wrote: When you say New super Iridiums, do you mean the Polsilvers super iridium?
Yes the current polsilver brand super iridium's, owned by P&G

28 779
 04-23-2016, 06:45 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I have the 10 pk blue and silver Super Iridiums that caused panic with their withdrawal from distribution. I also have the 10 pk brown box Polsilvers  and have tried the latest 5 pk blue box Polsilvers currently stocked by Phil. I know there were earlier Polish Polsilvers  that sometimes pop up from individuals. I think this covers what collectively represent Super Iridium/Polsilvers.
I have not done any physical comparisons. My opinion is they are collectively the same blade with different logos and packaging.

2 3,171
 04-23-2016, 06:49 PM
User Info
(04-23-2016, 06:45 PM)kav Wrote: I have the 10 pk blue and silver Super Iridiums that caused panic with their withdrawal from distribution. I also have the 10 pk brown box Polsilvers  and have tried the latest 5 pk blue box Polsilvers currently stocked by Phil. I know there were earlier Polish Polsilvers  that sometimes pop up from individuals. I think this covers what collectively represent Super Iridium/Polsilvers.
I have not done any physical comparisons. My opinion is they are collectively the same blade with different logos and packaging.

Interesting, thank you for the opinions kav. I've seen lots of ppl say the original super iridium's are the same as the new polsilver iridium supers but I haven't seen the brown box stainless version being deemed the same as well

28 779
 04-23-2016, 06:51 PM
  • Devilanche
  • Singapore (CONUS post address)
User Info
I find the brown to be less smooth but sharper.

I have all 3 as well. Generally if you can get either of the 3 it shouldn't matter much.

10 376
 04-23-2016, 06:55 PM
User Info
(04-23-2016, 06:51 PM)Devilanche Wrote: I find the brown to be less smooth but sharper.

I have all 3 as well. Generally if you can get either of the 3 it shouldn't matter much.

Thank you for your opinion as well, this is the first I've seen of this as well. I haven't seen a ton of reviews on the brow box but the reviews I have seen on b&b tend to say the stainless is a touch smoother but not quite as sharp

28 779
 04-23-2016, 07:04 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
All three are products of  St Petersburg. I have commented in past posts about raw steel sourcing. We have countless steel names used for different applications. When a mass knife maker; ie the MORA knives of Sweden buys raw stock it is to a general specification ie 440 stainless, D2 etc. But you can have some variation in the alloy % between batches. This applies to razorblades and MAY result in different perceived quality.

2 3,171
 04-23-2016, 07:08 PM
User Info
The brown box I'm referring to would be from the wizamet, made in Poland variety in the lodz factory

[Image: uYogTO2.jpg]

28 779
 04-23-2016, 07:15 PM
  • Devilanche
User Info
(04-23-2016, 06:55 PM)Safelysimpson Wrote:
(04-23-2016, 06:51 PM)Devilanche Wrote: I find the brown to be less smooth but sharper.

Thank you for your opinion as well, this is the first I've seen of this as well. I haven't seen a ton of reviews on the brow box but the reviews I have seen on b&b tend to say the stainless is a touch smoother but not quite as sharp

I could have remembered it wrongly. Let me shave with it again later today and update.

Edit: yea that brown with blue box and white wrapper.

10 376
 04-23-2016, 07:17 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Those are my brown blades as well. Again, it could be subtle variations of raw stock or even the production machinery in each factory. My mother makes fruitcake every xmas to the same recipe. Some are noticeably different and she blames that year's crop of dried fruit, the oven failing to keep true temperature or the Mexican landscape crew talking to loud outside.

2 3,171
 04-23-2016, 07:22 PM
User Info
(04-23-2016, 07:17 PM)kav Wrote: Those are my brown blades as well. Again, it could be subtle variations of raw stock or even the production machinery in each factory. My mother makes fruitcake every xmas to the same recipe. Some are noticeably different and she blames that year's crop of dried fruit, the oven failing to keep true temperature or the Mexican landscape crew talking to loud outside.

Lol excellent reference, I love your comparisons kav

28 779
 04-23-2016, 07:23 PM
User Info
So kav, if these blades popped up again at an affordable price, same price as the current polsilvers would you be stocking up on some? I should say same price that DCC has them for

28 779
 04-23-2016, 07:31 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
I just pulled out TWO quality calipers that were both calibrated last December. One is USA and the other German. I avoided the wax spots; both Polish and Russian bees and all three are identical in thickness.

2 3,171
 04-23-2016, 07:42 PM
User Info
(04-23-2016, 07:31 PM)kav Wrote: I just pulled out TWO quality calipers that were both calibrated last December. One is USA and the other German. I avoided the wax spots; both Polish and Russian bees and all three are identical in thickness.

Thank you for measuring, I think I'm about to pull the trigger on about 600, surely they won't be available for long and they instantly improve while shaving  when unavailable

Do the polish brown box have wax spots?

28 779
 04-23-2016, 07:52 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
4 BIG ONES. I'll take any variation. but I only buy from Bullgoose under the theory of supporting this website and friends while keeping my dollars in the greater SOCAL community.

2 3,171
 04-23-2016, 07:55 PM
User Info
(04-23-2016, 07:52 PM)kav Wrote: 4 BIG ONES. I'll take any variation. but I only buy from Bullgoose under the theory of supporting this website and friends while keeping my dollars in the greater SOCAL community.

Damn, was hoping these wouldn't have them, hmm

28 779
 04-23-2016, 08:01 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Who is DCC? I know there is a private European seller who sells bulk but in terms of general retailers I just have BGS on my top bar favorite websites next to the vintage Rolls Royce dealer  and my liquor store.

2 3,171
 04-23-2016, 08:03 PM
  • Devilanche
User Info
(04-23-2016, 07:42 PM)Safelysimpson Wrote:
(04-23-2016, 07:31 PM)kav Wrote: I just pulled out TWO quality calipers that were both calibrated last December. One is USA and the other German. I avoided the wax spots; both Polish and Russian bees and all three are identical in thickness.

Thank you for measuring, I think I'm about to pull the trigger on about 600, surely they won't be available for long and they instantly improve while shaving  when unavailable

I was under the impression that only shaving.ie have them which is where I bought mine. If price is comparable and you really like Polsilver as your number one blade go for it.

10 376
 04-23-2016, 08:06 PM
User Info
(04-23-2016, 08:03 PM)Devilanche Wrote:
(04-23-2016, 07:42 PM)Safelysimpson Wrote:

I was under the impression that only shaving.ie have them which is where I bought mine. If price is comparable and you really like Polsilver as your number one blade go for it.

Shaving.ie has nos stainless brown box right now, 200 for $36. Im low on blades, very low actually. I was contemplating trying Kai or med preps, or stocking up on voshkods which I really enjoy  but at this price for a blade I could possibly never affordably get again, I'm thinking I should pull the trigger

28 779