04-23-2016, 06:08 PM
User Info
Holly Molly !!! 
Nice shave - not a single nick -3 passes!!

I don't think I can ever go back - I used Kai mild . How many passes do these last??
Where is the bed place to get these blades??
Other than cobra - what other razors out there? Does anyone use this razor on a daily basis?

5 301
 04-23-2016, 06:12 PM
User Info
(04-23-2016, 06:08 PM)inspectoring Wrote: Holly Molly !!! 

I don't think I can ever go back - I used Kai mild . How many passes do these last??
Other than cobra - what other razors out there? Does anyone use this razor on a daily basis?

It was my daily driver for a while until I ran out of blades. It gave much closer shaves than any de I have tried. For some reason I fell in love with de shaving again before the new blades came in and I'm having trouble going back

28 777
 04-23-2016, 06:49 PM
User Info
I had one of the first and didn't get along with it.

Sold it and focused on DE.

I heard they tweaked it in later runs.

I like old fashioned Injectors and hope a modern razor using those blades is developed by someone soon.

10 1,436
 04-23-2016, 07:16 PM
User Info
AlumiGoose 2 is my best SE razor !!!

Lorenzo.

29 1,084
 04-23-2016, 07:30 PM
User Info

Congrats on a great first shave with the Mongoose. It is a splendid shaver. The Kai Milds couldn't hack it with my stubble but I'd imagine if they work for you that you should get at least 5-7 shaves from them. 

For procuring blades there are several options including but not limited to BullGoose & Conmaught. These are the first places I typically check. You can also look into a blade sampler pack from Try-A-Blade. 

Others razors are limited at this time but definitely increasing soon. Cobra Classic, King Cobra, & the AlumiGoose are the currently produces options. Coming soon is the Asylum from BullGoose, The General from Colonial Razors, iKon, & Above the Tie. 

One last option to consider though it does use different blades is the OneBlade. Since I received mine last December I have not really used my Mongooses at all.

31 8,058
 04-23-2016, 07:41 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
When I discovered SE shaving I started with a Cobra, graduated to a King Cobra. from the KC I graduated to the Mongoose and from there to the Aluminum Goose. Each time I believed I would never fingd a razor better than the one I was shaving with. Finally, I think my quest is over. I found the One Blade. I can't imagine any better razor. If you can possibly afford it bite the bullet and move right up to a One Blade.

70 1,082
 04-24-2016, 02:03 AM
User Info

I used a Mongoose exclusively for over a year, still use one most of the time.  I would recommend trying a Kai Sharp and a Feather ProGuard next, maybe pick up a couple of each from Tryablade, think you'll find they give an even better shave!

You will probably get 10+ shaves from a blade, I usually went 14 2-pass shaves per blade.

54 1,205
 04-24-2016, 05:46 AM
User Info
I love the Kai milds in the goose. I usually get 6 haves off the blade, but that last one is touch against the grain on my course beard.

0 517
 04-24-2016, 06:42 AM
User Info
I really enjoy the Goose with Kai milds also.  I'm glad you like the Goose, enjoy it.

61 3,796
 04-24-2016, 05:34 PM
User Info
I've been using the alumigoose 2 with feather pro guard and it shaves great. I've been thinking of getting some other blades in the near future.

5 70
 04-26-2016, 05:59 AM
  • DJL813
  • Darien, CT
User Info
Wow....wish I had your experience...been shaving with Ikon 102 Slant, Ikon dual comb, ATT closed comb, open comb, slant open and slant closed, Edwin Jaeger, Merkur, Razorrock and Wolfman just to name a few...recently decided to purchase and test drive the Mongoose Stainless Steel....well after several shaves using both the Feather Pro Guard and Kai Captain Pro Mild.....decided this is not the razor for me and sold it.....could not get a close enough shave even after 3 passes.....not sure why but shaving with this razor seemed like work Sad

128 564
 04-26-2016, 06:17 AM
  • Monchoon
  • Saskatoon, Canada
User Info
I have 2 B2 heads that I ordered right from Mongoose and used them with Kai milds but didn't really get the hang of it.  Just got the V2 aluminum from Maggards and some feathers pro super and the guard type and will give it another go.

3 48
 04-26-2016, 06:25 AM
User Info
(04-26-2016, 05:59 AM)DJL813 Wrote: Wow....wish I had your experience...been shaving with Ikon 102 Slant, Ikon dual comb, ATT closed comb, open comb, slant open and slant closed, Edwin Jaeger, Merkur, Razorrock and Wolfman just to name a few...recently decided to purchase and test drive the Mongoose Stainless Steel....well after several shaves using both the Feather Pro Guard and Kai Captain Pro Mild.....decided this is not the razor for me and sold it.....could not get a close enough shave even after 3 passes.....not sure why but shaving with this razor seemed like work Sad

Yeah, neither of those blade would have shaved me well either. You should have tried more blades. The Feather Pro & Super Pro would have definitely shaved you closer and easier.

31 8,058
 04-26-2016, 06:30 AM
  • DJL813
  • Darien, CT
User Info
(04-26-2016, 06:25 AM)SharpSpine Wrote:
(04-26-2016, 05:59 AM)DJL813 Wrote: Wow....wish I had your experience...been shaving with Ikon 102 Slant, Ikon dual comb, ATT closed comb, open comb, slant open and slant closed, Edwin Jaeger, Merkur, Razorrock and Wolfman just to name a few...recently decided to purchase and test drive the Mongoose Stainless Steel....well after several shaves using both the Feather Pro Guard and Kai Captain Pro Mild.....decided this is not the razor for me and sold it.....could not get a close enough shave even after 3 passes.....not sure why but shaving with this razor seemed like work Sad

Yeah, neither of those blade would have shaved me well either. You should have tried more blades. The Feather Pro & Super Pro would have definitely shaved you closer and easier.

Yikes....don't tell me that....I might need to re-purchase Smile

128 564
 04-26-2016, 06:32 AM
User Info
(04-26-2016, 06:17 AM)Monchoon Wrote: I have 2 B2 heads that I ordered right from Mongoose and used them with Kai milds but didn't really get the hang of it.  Just got the V2 aluminum from Maggards and some feathers pro super and the guard type and will give it another go.
The AlumiGoose 2 is an amazing SE .I really love mine !!!

Lorenzo.

29 1,084
 04-26-2016, 07:51 AM
User Info
(04-26-2016, 06:25 AM)SharpSpine Wrote:

Indeed. One of the best things about the Mongoose (and other razors using the Feather AC style blades) is the variety of blades available. Loaded with a Pro or Pro Super it is a different razor than with a Kai mild or Pro Guard. It's like having an adjustable razor.

Also, while I never had one of the early Mongooses, I get the feeling from reading numerous posts that the most recent version of the stainless steel Mongoose may be slightly more aggressive than earlier stainless steel versions.

--Bob

0 185
 05-03-2016, 03:51 AM
  • DJL813
  • Darien, CT
User Info

Well I can't thank SharpSpine and SafelySimpson enough for their response to my query as to why I had such a poor experience with the Mongoose while using the Feather Pro Guard and Kai Captain Mild blades (just couldn't get a good shave)---using the Feather Pro made all the difference.

128 564
 05-03-2016, 04:01 AM
  • DJL813
  • Darien, CT
User Info

Well I can't thank SharpSpine and SafelySimpson enough...SharpSpine for his response and council to my earlier query as to why I had such a poor experience with the Mongoose (change blades) and to SafelySimspon for selling me his Mongoose (guess the second time really is the charm). 

This morning I took their advice and used the Mongoose with a Feather Pro and all I can say is....WHAT A DIFFERENCE A BLADE MAKES Smile...so much so, that I actually checked the razor while doing my first pass (WTG) to make certain I inserted a blade! The result...the Mongoose coupled with the Feather Pro provided a rather mild yet very efficient shaving experience.  Not certain if this is a result of the razor/blade combo or if it has to do with my rather "elaborate" pre-shave routine or maybe a combination of both.....regardless---this razor is now a keeper.

Not sure if I should leave well enough alone or also try the Feather Pro Super although I'm not certain how it could improve on this mornings results-----wait---I THINK I JUST ANSWERED MY OWN QUESTION.

In closing I just want to say thanks.....I'm relatively new to TSN and am having a blast reading, learning, BUYING, sharing and making new acquaintances.....thanks one and all!!!

128 564
 05-03-2016, 07:03 AM
User Info
Vey happy it worked better for you DJL! Thumbup

31 8,058
 05-03-2016, 07:19 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
(04-23-2016, 06:49 PM)bakerbarber Wrote: I had one of the first and didn't get along with it.

Sold it and focused on DE.

I heard they tweaked it in later runs.

I like old fashioned Injectors and hope a modern razor using those blades is developed by someone soon.

Here is a new SE injector coming out the 3rd week in May.
https://www.getsupply.com/products/the-s...ickstarter

70 1,082