04-24-2016, 07:54 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
Although I think that my cohort is a minority, I belong to the subset of shavers who completely disassemble, rinse, and dry every component of their razors after each shave, storing the pieces, including the blade, if it is not discarded, for the next shave.  

I was shocked — shocked, I tell you — when I was assembling my kit that, among all of the fine vendors of shaving hardware and software, there was a complete paucity of offerings for the temporary (between shaves) storage of razor components in the home (as opposed to nifty travel kits).  In particular, I was dismayed and appalled that nobody seems to have addressed the crucial issue of what to do with a delicate and dangerous and (potentially) rust-prone razor blade between shaves.  As I shave every day, and typically get six shaves from a DE blade, I face that issue five times every week.  

Undaunted, I decided to fashion my own

*** Highly Advanced Temporary Storage system ***

Searching the world over (o.k., a part if the world) for suitably advanced and exotic materials to fashion my device, I eventually settled upon a space-age thermo-formed material:   Nyquilium:  

[Image: qZ6hatI.jpg]

Inside-the-box thinkers may narrowly perceive this HATS system to resemble strongly the dosing cap of a no longer existent (having been discarded) bottle of nightime cold medicine.  Please allow them to indulge their fantasies without the distraction of mockery and derision.  

This HATS system allows the blade to dry (further dry:  it has been blotted with a towel before insertion in the HATS), and be readily available for the next shave.  

Do you sport better HATS?  Please show us.

1 1,110
 04-24-2016, 08:39 AM
User Info
I use a magnet on the wall.

[Image: 1H3KyoA.jpg]

[Image: rPkquMT.jpg]

Works like a charm.

10 1,460
 04-24-2016, 09:06 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I will have to take a picture of this someday.  I use an empty spool from my wife's sewing basket.

179 23,946
 04-24-2016, 09:27 AM
User Info
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_ime...th+magnets

Have been thinking of setting one of these into the bottom of a brush handle too.

I bought mine at Lowe's. A ten pack of the little ones in my picture above. Really strong little buggers.

10 1,460
 04-24-2016, 10:09 AM
User Info
Very nice, gentlemen. I just put the blade back into its wrapper and into the box.  Biggrin

83 21,115
 04-24-2016, 12:06 PM
User Info
I tape the a thin fridge magnet to the back of the cabinet, it's cut to the size I want.
[Image: d9c334245feb5c1173d3aad16c7baf48.jpg]

18 468
 04-24-2016, 04:12 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
 04-24-2016, 05:36 PM
User Info
(04-24-2016, 04:12 PM)kav Wrote: [Image: m3OtTyo.jpg]

Now THAT made me laugh out loud! Biggrin I just put the three pieces of the razor and the blade on a folded tissue long enough to dry them. I reassemble the razor and place it on a rack out of the way. We have no kids in the house so this seems safe enough to me. . . for now. . . Dodgy

0 8
 04-25-2016, 05:25 AM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
 04-25-2016, 01:45 PM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
this may be a bit overkill but I play around with DE and SE so finding something to hold the SE was a bit challenging as the Feather AC system doesn't have a wrapper and I too wash and rinse all of the parts of my razor after each shave so the blades need to be sitting somewhere safe as I've got kids that use the bathroom as well.  I discovered magnet tape a few years ago and decided to use that with great success the last 2 years. Its sold by the roll of varying widths and lengths so you don't need have to end up with anything too long, but I purchased the 1/2" width tape and put it into the side of the medicine cabinet, out of the way of everyone. Its about a 5 inch long strip put on the side of the cabinet and can hold about 2 SE or 2 DE blades with comfortable spacing to pull the blade off easily. Its not in the 'rare earth' magnet grade but its strong enough to hold onto any of the SE and DE's I've used.... before this I just put it back into the wrapper, this placed them out of the way which gave me more space to keep things on the shelf.

right now its pretty sparse since I've been travelling for work a bit but I generally have 2-3 blades on there when I'm not travelling

[Image: 2xps0Lb.jpg]

36 1,336
 04-27-2016, 03:21 AM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
[Image: 04897ed9a902c6c35e4a45a395e37be2.jpg]

Highly technical.

It's a magnet from the hardware store for covering cold-air return vents. I don't recall how much it was, but maybe $6. Sticks magnetically rather nicely to the inside of a medicine cabinet, and can be easily cut to any size with scissors. The grid allows me to keep track of how many uses each blade has. And surprisingly, it is very easy (and safe) to slide the blades off the edge without fear of cutting myself.

22 835
 04-27-2016, 07:38 AM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
Smart idea!

143 1,984
 04-28-2016, 04:19 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
I put the blade back in the  wrapper, put a black dot on it with a permanent marker to denote number of shaves, and put it away. All that other stuff is just too fancy-smancy for this old country boy. Biggrin

2 1,697
 04-29-2016, 02:43 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
All this phaffing about with sharp objects makes me cringe.  I keep it very simple: Mach3 cartridge; gives me 10 to 15 satisfying shaves; no fuss, no muss. Tongue

7 938
 04-29-2016, 11:07 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(04-29-2016, 02:43 AM)Rufus Wrote: All this phaffing about with sharp objects makes me cringe.  I keep it very simple: Mach3 cartridge; gives me 10 to 15 satisfying shaves; no fuss, no muss. Tongue

Waitaminnit! [tm]  
Let me make this very clear:  I — make that we — do not phaff about with sharp objects — never.   I will confess to the occasional schlep with an exceptionally attractive sharp object; but I am shocked that you would entertain the thought that any of the distinguished contributors to this forum ever would phaff about. 

1 1,110
 04-29-2016, 11:41 AM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
(04-29-2016, 11:07 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(04-29-2016, 02:43 AM)Rufus Wrote: All this phaffing about with sharp objects makes me cringe.  I keep it very simple: Mach3 cartridge; gives me 10 to 15 satisfying shaves; no fuss, no muss. Tongue

Waitaminnit! [tm]  
Let me make this very clear:  I — make that we — do not phaff about with sharp objects — never.   I will confess to the occasional schlep with an exceptionally attractive sharp object; but I am shocked that you would entertain the thought that any of the distinguished contributors to this forum ever would phaff about. 

Here, here!

2 1,697
 04-29-2016, 09:34 PM
  • grantmm
  • Friend of the Badgers
  • Draper, Utah
User Info
Interesting topic. A few months ago I head the cats messing with something in the bathroom.  A quick investigation didn't reveal much. The next time in there I saw that a razor blade was missing. I ended up finding it under the floormat!

10 759
 04-30-2016, 03:48 AM
User Info
I only use blades once, so I don't have to address this issue.

51 6,454