04-24-2016, 08:34 AM
User Info
One cool thing about this wetshaving hobby is that we can meet and get to know the people who sell or make the products we use.

Yesterday I went to the big shave event at Old Town Shaving in Pasadena, and I ended up spending most of my time there talking with Todd Fisher, the owner of St. James of London.

Based in Chicago, Todd was the US distributor for Truefitt and Hill for 10 years, and he saw the opportunity to acquire the St. James brand and revitalize it with a new product line.  I was interested in learning more because I've read good things about the shave cream here on Shavenook (This means you, Claus!).  

Todd told me about his journey in relaunching the brand, designing the product, packaging, etc.  As a fellow entrepreneur I was impressed to find out he'd bootstrapped the whole thing and has been entirely self-funded.  I found out that a boutique near my home -- not a shaving store -- carries the line, which was a cool surprise.

Anyway, Todd was very professional but also down to earth, not "sales-y" at all, the kind of guy you'd be happy to have a beer with.   He told me he doesn't really get on the forums much so I thought I'd do a post to let you SJoL fans know something about the person behind the product.  Afterwards, I shaved with a sample he gave me, and you guys are right, it's pretty darn good!  I'm thinking of getting a tub of the Cedarwood and Clarysage.

Alex

11 967
 04-24-2016, 11:28 AM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
I was at the same event yesterday and also met Todd.  Great guy.  I have a bunch of samples to try out.   Cool

Eric

46 931
 04-24-2016, 05:44 PM
User Info
Great story !

I did read about this - when he purchased it, they did he change in packaging design and properly changed the formula.

24 5,839