04-25-2016, 04:17 AM
User Info
Hello guys,

I have the Saville Row mentioned above and love it. Been hearing a lot about the Rooney. I'd like to know if there's a tremendous difference between the 2?
Thanks,
Lou

0 30
 04-25-2016, 10:08 AM
User Info
The Stubby 2 has changed a bit over of the years. It was first released with 3-band Heritage "super" hair several years ago. Very soft, very dense brushes. Amazing face feel. About as good as you can get for a 3-band (IMO). Then around 2011-2013 Rooney put out Stubby 2 models with 2-band hair. Again, great hard to find brushes. Then Rooney switched back to 3-band and that's what has been sold for the last few years. The hair is still very nice, but different than the old. Not as dense or soft. Scrubbier tips. Still, excellent knots. They should have more backbone and more scrub than your Saville Row.

41 1,196
 04-25-2016, 10:14 AM
User Info
My Savile Row brush is the softest badger I have in the stable, it's not floppy but it defiantly has more give than the Simpson/Rooney knots.

5 139
 04-25-2016, 08:04 PM
User Info
Thanks for the responses. Shevek, looks like I would have been better off with the Rooney a few years ago, huh?

0 30
 04-25-2016, 09:32 PM
User Info
Hindsight is 20/20! 

I have a recent 3-band Stubby 2. I may have gotten lucky: no shedding and perfect knot geometry. It is not as soft as a nice 2-band, but I like scrub sometimes. It's a great brush. 

The handle exceeds expectations. It is the same height as a Simpson Chubby 2 but smaller in diameter. Grip is good, though. 

Don't be fooled by the specs. The short loft makes the Stubby 2 only medium on the face in spite of 29mm knot diameter and fan-ish shape. Density is on part with pre-Vulfix CH2, or medium. 

Never tried Savile Row. They should be good based on all reports. 

Good luck!

1 255
 04-25-2016, 09:38 PM
User Info
I got a savile row 3126 softest brush I have. I pefer brushes with more scrub, but an occasional shave its a nice change up.

4 84
 04-26-2016, 03:25 AM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
Apples and oranges my friend. To your question, yes, there is an enormous difference between the two. But honestly, I had a Stubby 2 Super from many years ago, and I did not care for it much at all. I currently have a SR3824 and it is one of my favorite all-around brushes. I felt the Stubby was extremely dense for my tastes, and while it had very soft tips, I thought it took more work and product to get a great lather. To top it all off, I really like the 3824 handle shape.

Of course the Stubby 2 isn't a bad brush, and many people enjoy using it. But for me, and especially considering that the vintage Stubby 2 is unobtainable, I wouldn't second-guess yourself for even a second. If you have a hankering to try a different brush (and this is normal - I have done it fifty or sixty times...) there are many, many, many brushes that could fill that void.

If you really like the 3824, and you want to try something soft and stubby, try a Thäter 4125/2 two-band fan. It's probably a reasonable facsimile to the Rooney Stubby 2 two-band. If it's the softer mushroom-shaped three band knot you're after, you might consider a Kent BK8 or BK12.

Of course neither of these will exactly mimic the true Rooney Stubby, but there are just so many really great brushes out there, it probably isn't worth the time and money you would need to spend to get one. The Savile Row 3824 is one of the best all-around brushes out there, so be selective, or else you'll end up like one of those crazy guys who has fifty or sixty different brushes... Wink

22 835
 04-26-2016, 04:02 AM
User Info
(04-26-2016, 03:25 AM)chamm Wrote: Apples and oranges my friend. To your question, yes, there is an enormous difference between the two. But honestly, I had a Stubby 2 Super from many years ago, and I did not care for it much at all. I currently have a SR3824 and it is one of my favorite all-around brushes. I felt the Stubby was extremely dense for my tastes, and while it had very soft tips, I thought it took more work and product to get a great lather. To top it all off, I really like the 3824 handle shape.

Of course the Stubby 2 isn't a bad brush, and many people enjoy using it. But for me, and especially considering that the vintage Stubby 2 is unobtainable, I wouldn't second-guess yourself for even a second. If you have a hankering to try a different brush (and this is normal - I have done it fifty or sixty times...) there are many, many, many brushes that could fill that void.

If you really like the 3824, and you want to try something soft and stubby, try a Thäter 4125/2 two-band fan. It's probably a reasonable facsimile to the Rooney Stubby 2 two-band. If it's the softer mushroom-shaped three band knot you're after, you might consider a Kent BK8 or BK12.

Of course neither of these will exactly mimic the true Rooney Stubby, but there are just so many really great brushes out there, it probably isn't worth the time and money you would need to spend to get one. The Savile Row 3824 is one of the best all-around brushes out there, so be selective, or else you'll end up like one of those crazy guys who has fifty or sixty different brushes... Wink
Craig, awesome info. Thanks so much!

0 30
 06-09-2016, 03:28 PM
User Info
Hows the SR3824 vs the Simpsons Duke 3 ? is this an upgrade over the other or just different feel ?? Thanks.

0 103
 06-09-2016, 04:58 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
I've owned Duke 3 brushes in both Best and Manchurian, and I honestly prefer the SR3824 over either. Now, I readily admit that is due in very large part to my personal preferences. There are a great many people who would consider a Duke 3 to be an "upgrade" from a 3824, but the notion of "upgrade" is purely subjective. There is nothing materially inferior about the Savile Row brush. Both are hand made with top quality, expertly sorted badger hair. Both show an artisan quality attention to detail, and both are highly regarded by members of the community. It comes down to what you look for in a brush.

The Duke 3 has more of a fan shaped knot. The hair is more dense, so it has a stiffer backbone and requires more product to make lather. The Savile Row has a pronounced bulb shape, and is not as dense as the Duke 3.

To my tastes, the SR3824 perfectly hits the "Goldilocks" zone between pot scrubber and deck mop.

22 835
 06-09-2016, 07:12 PM
User Info
(06-09-2016, 03:28 PM)capri Wrote: Hows the SR3824 vs the Simpsons Duke 3 ? is this an upgrade over the other or just different feel ?? Thanks.

Thanks! much appreciated.... actually i was eyeing on the 3824 for quite sometime but no stocks hence i took the opportunity of buying the Duke 3 based on the great reviews.
When the stocks of 3824 arrives, i'll probably get one as well.
Nice to have varieties...

0 103