04-25-2016, 02:16 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Several websites report a Norwegian F 16 mistakenly fired on a control tower with it's 20MM Gatling gun- a repeat of an identical incident in 2009.
[Image: zk3HADm.jpg]

2 3,171
 04-25-2016, 02:24 PM
User Info
Lol.....

61 3,796
 04-25-2016, 03:20 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I think you would be better off showing him in a tank since he does not fly.

179 23,931
 04-25-2016, 03:36 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Wear a goatee and a Norwegian can pilot anything; ship, dogsled,airplane...
[Image: zAD6z3R.jpg]

2 3,171
 04-25-2016, 04:57 PM
User Info
I don't understand this whole thing, but I'm enjoying it.

1 456
 04-25-2016, 06:56 PM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
(04-25-2016, 04:57 PM)duck creek Wrote: I don't understand this whole thing, but I'm enjoying it.

It's kav's world, we just live in it  Tongue

60 849
 04-25-2016, 08:18 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
When Wegian replies all will be explained- or I will be put on a no fly list to Oslo and Edvard Greig concerts.

2 3,171
 04-25-2016, 09:19 PM
User Info
Nice, Chris. Biggrin

83 21,110
 04-25-2016, 11:57 PM
User Info
To misquote; “Do not meddle in the affairs of 'wegians, for they are not subtle and slow to anger.”

As for the recent incident at the shooting range at Tarva: I'm not sure exactly what happened (*cough* pilot error *cough*), but I'm happy no one got hurt. Side note: since I used to work heavy maintenance on F16s, it's pretty much a given I've been working on the plane involved... fifteen years or so ago.

As for Roald Amundsen, whom Kav posted a picture of, he was no stranger to various modes of transportation:
- First successful transverse of the Northwest passage: small sloop and dog sledges, considered by Amundsen as a "training expedition" before making an attempt at the North Pole
- First man on the south pole: schooner rigged polar ship (with a diesel engine) and dog sledges - Amundsen considered the expedition a detour from his main goal of reaching the North Pole
- Second successful transverse of the Northeast passage: schooner rigged polar ship (with a semidiesel engine), dogsledges and a primitive hydroplane - the expedition was originally intended to duplicate Nansen's drift across the arctic ocean and reach the North Pole
- Attempted flight to the North Pole: Dornier Do J flying boats - crash landed in the ice floes, spent a month on the ice making repairs and building a runway on minimal rations, returned safe
- Flight across the Arctic Ocean, including the first verified man on the North Pole: Semi-rigid airship - flew from Svalbard to Alaska, crossing the North Pole
- Last mission and disappearance: Latham 47 flying boat - attempted rescue mission of an Italian arctic expedition, likely crashed in heavy fog
You could say Amundsen was somewhat fixated on reaching the North Pole Tongue

3 4,671
 04-26-2016, 07:02 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
I should disclaim any unique issues with Norwegian pilots. I was at USCG Air Station Kodiak Alaska just out of basic training. The base commander decided to pull a surprise Tsunami evacuation drill. Alarm sounds and our C 130s and HH 52 helicopters took off as we jumped into various support vehicles and drove for high ground. The 1939 REO fire truck broke down, the exec's car got stuck and we finally assembled at this staging area. I'm leaning against a truck with the senior chief smoking and laughing at what a total SNAFU it was. Another chief walked over, very casual and whispered 'boats, you might want to smoke somewhere else'. We ground out the cigarettes in snow and turned around to follow his finger. We were leaning against the  J5 fuel truck; nearly as ancient as the REO with a chronic drip from the flush valve.

I read everything I could about polar exploration while stationed in Alaska and later on an Icebreaker. Amundsen led a fascinating life.

2 3,171