04-25-2016, 04:22 PM
  • carvelo
  • Puerto Rico
User Info
I bet there is a thread similar somewhere, but I need the updated info. What cream is similar in performance to a high quality soap?

17 405
 04-25-2016, 04:38 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
At the risk of being thought sarcastic- a high quality cream!

2 3,171
 04-25-2016, 05:17 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Kav makes a good point. Take a cream like Esbjerg, it will out perform many soaps and there are many soaps better than other creams. Can you be more specific what you are after carvelo?

59 4,389
 04-25-2016, 05:18 PM
  • carvelo
  • Puerto Rico
User Info
(04-25-2016, 04:38 PM)kav Wrote: At the risk of being thought sarcastic- a high quality cream!

Agreed. What brand? I tried some of the "high quality creams" and I still find them lacking. Other points of view might help.

17 405
 04-25-2016, 05:20 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
(04-25-2016, 05:18 PM)carvelo Wrote:
(04-25-2016, 04:38 PM)kav Wrote: At the risk of being thought sarcastic- a high quality cream!

Agreed. What brand? I tried some of the "high quality creams" and I still find them lacking. Other points of view might help.

I am crazy about the Esbjerg Cream! It would be my recommendation if you have not tried it. Hopefully you will get some others to make suggestions.

59 4,389
 04-25-2016, 05:24 PM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
I like Esbjerg, Castle Forbes, Truefitt and Hill, all perform very well. When you get the right amount of moisture a lot of creams perform very well.

7 445
 04-25-2016, 05:32 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
It may be you are tuned into soaps vs creams like growing up on pesteles and then trying to eat  California style Mexican food. Both are delicious and nutritious ( I'm excluding Taco Bell) but have different methods of 'cooking'.

2 3,171
 04-25-2016, 06:30 PM
User Info
Best thing to do IMHO, if you want the best lather, which is a combo of soap lather and cream lather is to mix them in a super lather.

But why are you looking for a cream that performs as a soap ?

Why not just buy the soap then ?

But the creams I own, that performs (somewhat) similar to soaps would be: Xpec, Esbjerg and Castle Forbes.

You could call Tabula Rasa, one of my all tikme favourite soaps, a cream or a croap, because it's a soft soap.

If you want the extra creaminess in a soap, then try Tabula Rasa.

24 5,849
 04-25-2016, 09:42 PM
User Info
Santa Maria Novella cream, whether technically a cream or not, is superb. I got it last week and am just hooked on it. Performance equal to any soap, IMO. 

-ntr(nwu)

1 255
 04-26-2016, 12:21 AM
User Info
TOBS ORGANIC: as good as many high quality hard soaps, with the benefit of being a cream (i.e. very easy to lather).

0 427
 04-26-2016, 12:50 AM
User Info
The best cream in my view is Nivea Original Shave Cream.  Inexpensive ($6 CDN) and you can buy it everywhere in Canada.  Great performance...as good or better than many of my expensive creams, eg TOBS, GFT.  A gem!

0 43
 04-26-2016, 01:16 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Speick, Kiss My Face, T&H 10 are excellent creams. They're probably better than many other expensive creams and soaps in terms of performance. I've never had a bad shave with these, every time I use them I know that the shave will be great and enjoyable!

49 1,940
 04-26-2016, 02:35 AM
User Info
(04-25-2016, 05:18 PM)carvelo Wrote:

So this is your real question. Well as others have mentioned, Esbjerg, Castle Forbes, Baume.be, and Acqua di Parma all make a great shaving cream.

However, to get your feet wet I recommend St. James of London. Take advantage of their 50% off sale right now and grab a couple pots on the cheap:

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=41229

Not quite in the same tier as the above-mentioned brands, but only by a hair. Significantly less expensive though, and will give you a feel of what to expect from a higher-end product.

15 1,018
 04-26-2016, 04:19 AM
User Info
I'll be honest, I think in many respects an "average" cream outperforms or at least equals a "high quality" soap in terms of ease of generating lather.  I know this is simplifying to an insane degree, but the biggest difference between a cream and a soap is that the cream contains an ingredient that you need to provide for the soap, i.e. water.   

Like Claus' question, what are you looking for?  If soaps are working for you, then why are you looking for a cream?  And what creams have you tried that don't work?  I think this idea of "low quality" and "high quality" is a bit of a misnomer.  I can make a great lather from a soap like Van Der Hagen (very cheap and found just about anywhere in the US) and from a very expensive soap like Czech & Speake.  The "quality" part is your assessment.

84 1,505
 04-26-2016, 04:33 AM
User Info
(04-26-2016, 12:50 AM)James D Wrote: The best cream in my view is Nivea Original Shave Cream.  Inexpensive ($6 CDN) and you can buy it everywhere in Canada.  Great performance...as good or better than many of my expensive creams, eg TOBS, GFT.  A gem!

+1. I mainly use soap but have these creams in the den that I use regularly. Performance is very good.

16 457
 04-26-2016, 04:53 AM
User Info
Murdock
Vicco tumeric
TOBS Avocado

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

0 832
 04-26-2016, 12:32 PM
  • carvelo
  • Puerto Rico
User Info
(04-25-2016, 06:30 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Best thing to do IMHO, if you want the best lather, which is a combo of soap lather and cream lather is to mix them in a super lather.

But why are you looking for a cream that performs as a soap ?

Why not just buy the soap then ?

But the creams I own, that performs (somewhat) similar to soaps would be: Xpec, Esbjerg and Castle Forbes.

You could call Tabula Rasa, one of my all tikme favourite soaps, a cream or a croap, because it's a soft soap.

If you want the extra creaminess in a soap, then try Tabula Rasa.
Hi. I think I have most of the best soaps in the market. I do not own any cream. I do not want to start the long and expensive process of trying most of the creams in the market like I did with the soaps. And for the sake of variety. By the way, I have my eye on Xpec, and CF, but I don't love the ingredients list in CF. Thanks for your suggestions. Always appreciated.

17 405
 04-26-2016, 12:34 PM
  • carvelo
  • Puerto Rico
User Info
(04-26-2016, 04:19 AM)jpakstis Wrote: I'll be honest, I think in many respects an "average" cream outperforms or at least equals a "high quality" soap in terms of ease of generating lather.  I know this is simplifying to an insane degree, but the biggest difference between a cream and a soap is that the cream contains an ingredient that you need to provide for the soap, i.e. water.   

Like Claus' question, what are you looking for?  If soaps are working for you, then why are you looking for a cream?  And what creams have you tried that don't work?  I think this idea of "low quality" and "high quality" is a bit of a misnomer.  I can make a great lather from a soap like Van Der Hagen (very cheap and found just about anywhere in the US) and from a very expensive soap like Czech & Speake.  The "quality" part is your assessment.

Hi. In terms of performance and quality I look for high slickness.

17 405
 04-26-2016, 01:19 PM
User Info
I agree with the suggestion of St. James of London creams, these are solid entries available at a good price. While creams lather faster, my experience has been that soaps provide the slickness and protection levels that I'm targeting. Both products work well for many folks, I just happen to prefer soaps by a large margin (especially since I face-lather exclusively)

26 986
 04-26-2016, 01:51 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(04-26-2016, 12:32 PM)carvelo Wrote: Hi. I think I have most of the best soaps in the market. I do not own any cream. I do not want to start the long and expensive process of trying most of the creams in the market like I did with the soaps. And for the sake of variety. By the way, I have my eye on Xpec, and CF, but I don't love the ingredients list in CF. Thanks for your suggestions. Always appreciated.

My favorite author wrote this (link).  Also (personal opinion) Kiss My Face Lavender and Shea outperforms Castle Forbes.

0 1,050