04-27-2016, 06:56 AM
User Info
On my birthday a few weeks ago, I took stock of what I have.  As far as shaving related, I have to much.  It was at that point I vowed to go 1 full year buying no new items (other than blades when the need arises).  So far so good.  I can make trades if I wish, but I vow not to spend a single cent in the next year, until my next birthday on a brush, soap, razor, after shave, balm, pre shave, etc.  Can I do it?  It will take an incredible amount of discipline.  However, since that vow, I have neared the end of a container of Stirling soap.  It will feel good to actually finish a soap and remove something from my stock without adding two more items.  As for brushes, I have a Semogue LE 2013 Silvertip brush, a Doug Korn special with a 26 TGN finest knot, an Omega 10049, 10066, another omega boar I don't know the number of, a RR Plissoft a, Shave Evolution Synth and antoerh Synth with a custom handle.  Razors, I have a ONEBlade that may actually get sold because I need to buy a new bicycle (though it is a GREAT shaver), an eJ89, a fatip and a RR mentor.  I realized other than giving things away which I have given away more than I can count, this is the only way to reduce my nook.  It needs to be done and it is time for me to exercise some self-discipline.  Ive gotten fat both in girth and in shaving product.  I have vowed over the next year to do something about both.

N.B.  I am encouraging all to keep buying, sampling, trying and trading products.  After my time is up, I will need to satisfy the incredible itch I am already feeling.

90 899
 04-27-2016, 06:59 AM
  • Devilanche
  • Singapore (CONUS post address)
User Info
Good luck on both count. Getting started is the hard part.

10 376
 04-27-2016, 07:00 AM
User Info
Already with you there on both counts....

160 1,037
 04-27-2016, 07:11 AM
User Info
Good luck! I did it in 2015 successfully and may do it again in 2017. But currently, I'm enjoying my purchasing freedom.

40 1,166
 04-27-2016, 07:32 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Any pursuit, passion, pastime can consume the patron. You wake up one morning and the delivery truck has another safe to store a gun collection safely from a screwdriver armed burglar. The long suffering fiancee' is stood up for the final time for a candlelight and wine dinner when a pipe breaks and threatens your custom built wine cellar. 
We all know the common irony of saving money returning to wetshaving. I began with a Merkur HD, some Pure ( or is it best? The other thread on grading has me totally confused again) badger brush, a small cache of Merkur blades and a wooden bowl of GT rose soap. Obviously the blades and soap went into a MOVEABLE FEAST of trial and error. I now find myself with small multiples  in every category; nothing compared to others. But it's enough to bring comment by visitors and tax my limited counter space.
I justify MORE acquisitions in the future. I want more badgers to properly rotate and guarantee their care and longevity. I still fear some 'shaveaggeddon' where Putin cuts off Polsilvers in some geopolitical move and want to at least DOUBLE @ 10 years worth in hand. Soaps drive me
nuts most of all. I fall in love with one and then in sinful promiscuity let another seduce me. I could handle a wife and mistress. This is a lineup in a Nevada bordello, 1001 Nights Harem and a spring break hotspot for college coeds combined.
I've been gifted so much by generous forum members and vendors. I've passed on a good portion to homeless vets who thank me like the food bank when I gift bulk canned food  bought for an earthquake kit approaching expiration date- and will be short when the next big one does come.
You're right. enough ,is enough- after I get the Le Brutalt soap. Blush

2 3,171
 04-27-2016, 07:35 AM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
1 year is a little crazy.  I might start slow with 1 week and go from there.  lol.  Good luck!!  Tongue
Eric

48 976
 04-27-2016, 07:38 AM
User Info
(04-27-2016, 07:32 AM)kav Wrote: ...

Lol.

90 899
 04-27-2016, 07:39 AM
User Info
(04-27-2016, 07:00 AM)nervosa1901 Wrote: Already with you there on both counts....

Glad to know someone is there with me.

90 899
 04-27-2016, 07:53 AM
User Info
This is going to be insanely hard to not purchase anything in 2016, but if we have a a large den and able to trade, then it's not going to be too diffucult..

31 737
 04-27-2016, 07:55 AM
User Info
(04-27-2016, 07:53 AM)llalm Wrote: This is going to be insanely hard to not purchase anything in 2016, but if we have a a large den and able to trade, then it's not going to be too diffucult..

Most things worth doing are difficult.  Biggrin

90 899
 04-27-2016, 08:07 AM
User Info
Good luck, my last attempt only lasted a couple of months.  I am buying less now and might try this again but it is really difficult, especially will all the new stuff being introduced to the market.

18 468
 04-27-2016, 08:08 AM
User Info
Good luck, i tried several times but never made it more that a month.

6 1,334
 04-27-2016, 08:54 AM
User Info
I started my own sabbatical at the beginning of the year, and I'm still going strong.  I've finished up 2 soaps and a sample, but oddly my software keeps growing.  I just received a couple of new head shaving creams (at least one of which I'll probably PIF) from a vendor who asked me to try out his new formula, and I recently won a new tub of Cella from a long-forgotten PIF that I entered.  

I think if I actually want to thin my software, I'm going to have to start giving more of it away.

As far as hardware, I'm getting a very good handle on what I do and do not like in both razors and brushes, and when my sabbatical is over, I'll be able to make a much more informed decision on what to keep and what to acquire.

1 297
 04-27-2016, 09:43 AM
User Info
(04-27-2016, 07:32 AM)kav Wrote: Any pursuit, passion, pastime can consume the patron. You wake up one morning and the delivery truck has another safe to store a gun collection safely from a screwdriver armed burglar. The long suffering fiancee' is stood up for the final time for a candlelight and wine dinner when a pipe breaks and threatens your custom built wine cellar. 
We all know the common irony of saving money returning to wetshaving. I began with a Merkur HD, some Pure ( or is it best? The other thread on grading has me totally confused again) badger brush, a small cache of Merkur blades and a wooden bowl of GT rose soap. Obviously the blades and soap went into a MOVEABLE FEAST of trial and error. I now find myself with small multiples  in every category; nothing compared to others. But it's enough to bring comment by visitors and tax my limited counter space.
I justify MORE acquisitions in the future. I want more badgers to properly rotate and guarantee their care and longevity. I still fear some 'shaveaggeddon' where Putin cuts off Polsilvers in some geopolitical move and want to at least DOUBLE @ 10 years worth in hand. Soaps drive me
nuts most of all. I fall in love with one and then in sinful promiscuity let another seduce me. I could handle a wife and mistress. This is a lineup in a Nevada bordello, 1001 Nights Harem and a spring break hotspot for college coeds combined.
I've been gifted so much by generous forum members and vendors. I've passed on a good portion to homeless vets who thank me like the food bank when I gift bulk canned food  bought for an earthquake kit approaching expiration date- and will be short when the next big one does come.

13 494
 04-27-2016, 09:45 AM
User Info
Working on a couple new scents... Just sayin'... Smile

0 1,070
 04-27-2016, 09:46 AM
User Info
"Too much ain't enough" - sign on roof of Lone Star Café in NYC 13th & 5th

36 892
 04-27-2016, 10:05 AM
User Info
It will be a hard tough task. 

I'm currently trying to scale down, and feel I'm scaling down. 

Feel is a fun word. 

In the last month I have bought 2 badger brushes, 2 boar brushes, 2 synthetic brushes, 2 razors, 2 stands, 3 after shaves, 2 fragrances, 2 bathing soaps, 4 shaving soaps and 12 shaving creams - so yes, it's going quite well for me. I'm almost there.......  A6

24 5,965
 04-27-2016, 10:18 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Imagine ourselves a morbidly obese man who has dropped from 380lbs to 300. We walk- after not being able to with a big smile and people still look on us with disgust. Well, shame on them and I'm buying TWO soaps.

2 3,171
 04-27-2016, 10:21 AM
User Info
(04-27-2016, 09:45 AM)Shannon Wrote: Working on a couple new scents... Just sayin'... Smile

Enablers!  However, I am committed.  I have stated my intentions to order my affairs so now I must see it through. 

"Self-discipline is an act of cultivation. It require you to connect today's actions to tomorrow's results. There's a season for sowing a season for reaping. Self-discipline helps you know which is which." 

Gary Ryan Blair

90 899
 04-27-2016, 10:25 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Nobody ever notices the inscribed words above the entryway to wetshaving "Surrender All Hope Ye Who Enter"

2 3,171