07-24-2012, 01:42 PM
User Info
Hi Guys, I haven't use many razor blades as of yet, so far I have tried Astra SP, SuperMax Titanium, Wilkinson, and Derby Extra. So far Astra SP and SuperMax Titaniums work best, if I wanted to try a sharper blade which blades would I be looking for? I've never had anyone explain what blades are the sharpest and which are more mild. Of the blades I have used where are they in terms of sharpness? Any thoughts would be appriciated!
Cheers

0 143
 07-24-2012, 02:03 PM
  • biggiej42
  • Looney for Rooney
  • Stony Point, NY
User Info
I've only tried a few blades, but from popular opinion, and my own experience, feather blades are the sharpest I've seen.

I enjoy the feathers, gillette blacks and personna reds so far.

9 408
 07-24-2012, 02:06 PM
User Info
of the ones you have tried, i have only tried the Astra (greens) and Derbys.

Astra's are great in my opinion, up there with feather. i get 2-3 good shaves then toss them.

Derby's are junk for me, they do not agree with my face.

If you haven't tried Feather, give on a try. Super sharp, but nothing to be worried about. I get 2-3 shaves also, then toss.

8 2,718
 07-24-2012, 02:07 PM
User Info
I think the sharpest would have to be Feather blades I get at least a dozen shaves per blade But price wise I do not think you can beat Wilkinson sword.

0 10
 07-24-2012, 02:32 PM
User Info
Bear in mind not only is sharpness a valuable quality, so is smoothness.

Hands down Feather for sharpness IMO, but if you want sharp and smooth try any Gillette blade made in St.Petersburg Russia. My fav's are 7 O'Clock yellows. But any G' blade from there is really good, at least the ones I've tried.

A problem I have with Feathers is that for me they're only good for 2 great shaves. The St.Pete blades give me at least 7 great shaves.

Another blade with sharp and smooth qualities (for me) are the various DE ASR blades, med' preps, lab blades, and barber blades.

Especially with blades, you know that YMMV, right?

32 6,310
 07-24-2012, 03:28 PM
User Info
I will let my testing speak for itself. Open up the link in the first post.

http://shavenook.com/thread-de-blade-challenge-ii

1 2,827
 07-24-2012, 04:09 PM
User Info
As stated above, Feathers are pretty sharp. Gillette yellows and Goals are very sharp as well and unlike Feather, provide 3 good, smooth and comfortable shaves.

0 54
 07-24-2012, 05:44 PM
User Info
Feathers are the sharpest (as said) and were once my favourite, however I felt the slight decrease in sharpness and great increase in smoothness made Personna Red blades better for me. Sharper doesn't necessarily equate to better for everyone

0 95
 07-24-2012, 06:28 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Another vote for Feather blades if you are seeking sharpness alone.

However, the best blades for me are: Polsilver and Super Iridiums. They provide me with sharpness, comfort and longevity. I can't recommend them highly enough...

91 17,857
 07-24-2012, 06:30 PM
User Info
(07-24-2012, 03:28 PM)GDCarrington Wrote: I will let my testing speak for itself. Open up the link in the first post.

http://shavenook.com/thread-de-blade-challenge-ii

+1 i should say that the Super Iridiums are the smoothest + sharpest blades that i have tired.

75 20,883
 07-24-2012, 07:12 PM
User Info
(07-24-2012, 06:28 PM)ben74 Wrote: Another vote for Feather blades if you are seeking sharpness alone.

However, the best blades for me are: Polsilver and Super Iridiums. They provide me with sharpness, comfort and longevity. I can't recommend them highly enough...

agreed. i find i am like my Polsilvers the best of any sharp blade (feather, personna, astra, gillette yellows) and they seem to last the longest.

i get about a week 5-7 shaves (good shaves) with each one and could probably get more, but figure 35cents for a week, isn't bad. Rolleyes

8 2,718
 07-24-2012, 07:21 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(07-24-2012, 01:42 PM)IvanCro70 Wrote: Of the blades I have used where are they in terms of sharpness? Any thoughts would be appriciated!

Hi

Below is how I've rated (on my personal Traditional Wetshaving Wiki) the 4 different DE blades you've used to date:
  • Astra SP (sharpness "mid")
  • SuperMax Titanium (no comment, haven't used this blade)
  • Wilkinson (of the 2 different Wilkinson blades I've tried, both rated sharpness "mild to mid")
  • Derby Extra (sharpness "mild")
Personally I think Feather's are pretty overrated and that goes for their sharpness (yes they are sharp, but not the sharpest IMHO).

For me Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum - Black Pack takes the crown regarding sharpness and smoothness. I also like Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum - Blue Pack, I'm yet to try the Yellow Pack, but will rectify that once The Shave Nook - Blind DE Blade Test has finished.

I've also found Bolzano Superinox and Personna Platinum Chrome Super Stainless Steel (Red Israel Personna) blades give me good shaves, neither blade are as sharp as the above mentioned Gillette blades, but still good blades for me...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 07-24-2012, 07:26 PM
User Info
goes to show you how YMMV blades are. all you can do is try them out, there is no blade that works for everyone.

heck, i can use a blade in 1 razor and it works great and i'll stick it in another razor and it will suck.

8 2,718
 07-24-2012, 07:45 PM
User Info
Blades are very subjective, what works for one, may not work for another, and sometime a blade you may have thought was garbage, may work great in another razor.

I like:

SuperMax Super Platinums
Persona Red Israeli
Gillette 7 O' Clock Black Label
Lord Platinum Plus
Feathers and Polislivers, but due to price, only use in Tech and 1904 OC.

I own more SuperMax SP's and Red Personna's than anything. That may change after the blind blade test as I have been keeping good notes.

I recommend trying a few different blade samples, and also look around for blade PIF's.

The Derby blades I actually like a lot in my FaTip and Slim, but I have bad tugging in other razors.

Good luck in your blade search.

5 833
 07-25-2012, 04:53 AM
User Info
Thanks guys for all your input! I will try and find a sample pack with some of the razor blades that are most popular and see how it goes.
Cheers

0 143
 07-25-2012, 05:40 AM
  • biggiej42
  • Looney for Rooney
  • Stony Point, NY
User Info
Definitely give the Gillette's a try!

9 408
 09-13-2013, 05:16 AM
User Info
Testing input

0 1
 09-14-2013, 11:48 AM
  • vpayne
  • Missouri
User Info
Feather, Gillette 7 o'clock blades (black, blue, yellow etc), Gillette Silver Blues, Personna Super (Lab Blues) & Med prep blades, Astra SP, Perma-sharp Super, Polsilver Super Iridium, Supermax Super Platinum. There are others of course, but some become too difficult to locate. Everybody has different experiences because blades don't work the same for everyone. You have been given a good start with everyones' suggestions. You must try them to see which suits you best.
YMMV

32 362
 09-14-2013, 02:25 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
Read the article by GDCarrington as he gave his thoughts and his methods for determining which blades are the sharpest and which blades last the longest.

Feather is the sharpest blade.

1 819
 09-15-2013, 08:34 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
I have to say that now Feather's are the sharpest, most

consistent blade I have used. Followed by Kai, G.Black S.Plat.,

Pol.S.Iridiums, G.Silver Blues...Also as mentioned above, your razor's

own aggressive nature or lack of(maybe even adjust-ability), makes

a huge diff... I like sharp blades in mild razors like my Muhle