07-24-2012, 04:32 PM
User Info
I was hunting for the elusive Proraso Blue when I came across a description of the red tube as follows:

Proraso Red Range is idealled suited to thick, coarse beards. Regenerates dry skin and protects it from razor burn.

And this for the green:

Still made today in accordance with the rigorous, hot soap-making process, which transforms the natural ingredients into a very fine soap. The traditional, vegetable stearin-based formula is enriched with natural ingredients which make it particularly concentrated and rich. Formulated with glycerine to make the blade glide smoothly and reduce razor burn and rashes.

EUCALYPTUS OIL: toning, purifying effect
MENTHOL: refreshes and revitalises
BEARD TYPE: For every kind of beard and normal skin

So my question is, what makes the red different from the green when it comes the beard/stubble thickness?

Anyone want to chime in?

0 140
 07-24-2012, 04:35 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(07-24-2012, 04:32 PM)somebody Wrote: I was hunting for the elusive Proraso Blue when I came across a description of the red tube as follows:

Proraso Red Range is idealled suited to thick, coarse beards. Regenerates dry skin and protects it from razor burn.

And this for the green:

Still made today in accordance with the rigorous, hot soap-making process, which transforms the natural ingredients into a very fine soap. The traditional, vegetable stearin-based formula is enriched with natural ingredients which make it particularly concentrated and rich. Formulated with glycerine to make the blade glide smoothly and reduce razor burn and rashes.

EUCALYPTUS OIL: toning, purifying effect
MENTHOL: refreshes and revitalises
BEARD TYPE: For every kind of beard and normal skin

So my question is, what makes the red different from the green when it comes the beard/stubble thickness?

Anyone want to chime in?
I dont really know,but the red contains Shea Butter,which really makes the difference when having dry/very dry skin,like mine.

86 7,123
 07-24-2012, 06:45 PM
  • Batmang
  • Unregistered
User Info
I assume we're talking about the new formulations?

07-24-2012, 06:58 PM
User Info
Admittedly I know nothing about Proraso products. But I really don't need to for this.

Who wrote the words you quote? It might make a huge difference.

Where I'm going with this is, if it's a brush I give Teiste credibility because he's experienced in testing oodles of brushes. Experience of the writer lends or takes away from credibilty.

If it's manufacturer text, well maybe they're telling the truth or maybe they just want to lure someone away from a competitors product. It could be advertising copy, if it's advertising, immediately think to yourself"BS", and let them prove otherwise. Then again, it could be someone who doesn't know squat but owns a computer and can string words together.

OK, so let's examine what was written. The first sentence for the Red is that it's ideally suited for tough beards. The second it that is for dry skin, blah, blah. Those are fairly general statements. Ask anyone and 90% will tell you that their beard is "tough" so right there the copy is trying to get folks to align with the product so as to buy it. Nowhere does it say that it can't be used for other beard types, which few folks will admit to having anyway. Just how many guys walk around checking out other gents beards anyway to make the required comparison? What guy would allow that? It's meaningless text IMO. Hey, I have to shave mine every day with multiple passes, so it must be tough, right?

Then, just in case your beard is of one of the other varieties they have the solution as well with the other product. So either way they win.

I think it's marketing BS, so I would discount the beard type comments. Good dense slick lather can be used for any beard type, and most soaps/creams seen in use on the SOTD will do that. Knowing how to make proper lather will make many even close to passable products work. I have a saying, "It's not the bow, it's the Indian.". It's how the tool (soap in this case) is used, not the tool itself. It's prep to get the beard ready that makes more difference IMO.

But they may have formulated one with more moisturizers and that would make sense from the skin type comments. Most folks really do know if they have dry or oily skin.

So IMO, throw away the beard type comments as being BS and pay attention to the skin type comments. But that's pretty meaningless too, becasue you're going to follow the shave with something right? If someone has dry skin they'll moisturize it.

Just my $.02 worth but it could be worth exactly what you paid for it...nothing.

Whenever someone makes a comment look for the credibility of the person making the statement; whether they have an axe to grind or some other motivation must be understood. Also look to the statement for more than platitudes or generalities. It's also nice to see the data and not "this is what the data shows", should they say that. Get the real unadulterated data. If they won't show it to you, there's a reason for that.

That last will serve you well throughout every aspect of life. And you thought this was just about shaving, huh?

32 6,308
 07-24-2012, 09:11 PM
User Info
Brian-
I think you are dead on with your advice and I appreciate it. Frankly, the only advice I value with respect to shaving comes from guys like you.

The text I copied is on a couple websites.
Here is one

http://www.momentumgrooming.com/Proraso

0 140
 07-24-2012, 10:57 PM
User Info
For what its worth, on the side of the red box it says "Barbe Dure" which translates to "tough beards" green box says "Tutte le barbe" which is all beards.

2 805