07-24-2012, 04:47 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I have been enjoying Simpson Wee Scot since March (my first Simpson). I face lather and find Wee Scot just about perfect except for the handle, which is at times leaves you wanting more purchase. So, I have acquired a Berkeley 46B in hopes of finding that slightly larger Wee Scot. Alas, the Berkeley is not it. It is a wonderful brush, to be sure and an amazing value. I absolutely enjoy it and am very happy with it. However, I am looking for opinions and experiences with the Case and Special (in best), maybe Colonel. I am looking for a small face lathering brush with good backbone and lathering abilities (at least as good as Wee Scot). I've been told by Gary Young that the Case was actually designed as a Wee Scot II, but not named that. It seems that it is a little smaller than Berkeley, and costs almost the same. Special seems to have the same knot as the Case, but is a slightly cheaper (because of handle?). Can anyone comment on some of the smaller, less expensive Simpsons I could try? I think Case may be my next Simpson...

25 1,705
 07-24-2012, 05:39 PM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
I turned a handle this evening to roughly Classic CL1 proportions in case I need a short loft handle for a 22mm grade A knot I have coming. 42mm handle and 44 loft. If I can get to 48 on the loft with this knot I'll probably go with another handle. Sorry, I don't know much about Simpsons.

12 743
 07-24-2012, 06:15 PM
User Info
CH1 is only 23mm, a medium size brush.

PJ1 isn't too large. Cannot speak for it, but the PJ2 is nice.

9 2,988
 07-24-2012, 06:30 PM
User Info
i have both the CASE and WEE. i use the case for camping and the odd time at home, it is a great smaller face lathering brush.

it's got a comfortable handle, not too small (which some might find the Wee) and holds enough lather for 2 generous passes (at least for me) and i reapply some stick/soap for pass 3 and touchups.

i got mine with the Tube and am glad i did. to me, it's a perfect travel/camping brush that didn't break the bank and for the amount of time i need it, it was a good purchase. as much as i'd like a classic or manchurian for camping, the Case/Tube will do me fine and is no slouch.

8 2,718
 07-24-2012, 07:10 PM
User Info
Didn't you sort of ask this once before?

My smallest brush is a Simpson Special in Best, and it has a decent knot that I use for soaps and creams. Mine has a loft of about 40mm. That may not sound like much of a difference from my larger brushes that come in at 45-46mm, but it can be a huge difference, especially if the knot is wider.

You might be able to request a knot that runs small from a retailer. Find one who will work with you to find what you want. It'll mean him actually looking at the brushes to find a short one. Or you could post a WTB on the Sell/trade forum stating your spec's. I think the latter would have a better chance of success, but I could be wrong. I actually have no idea how much a retailer will bend over to help.

OK, having written that, must it be a badger? Omega makes some tiny boars and I think they might even make a tiny badger/boar hybrid.

Good luck in your quest!

32 6,311
 07-24-2012, 07:58 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(07-24-2012, 07:10 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Didn't you sort of ask this once before?

My smallest brush is a Simpson Special in Best, and it has a decent knot that I use for soaps and creams. Mine has a loft of about 40mm. That may not sound like much of a difference from my larger brushes that come in at 45-46mm, but it can be a huge difference, especially if the knot is wider.

You might be able to request a knot that runs small from a retailer. Find one who will work with you to find what you want. It'll mean him actually looking at the brushes to find a short one. Or you could post a WTB on the Sell/trade forum stating your spec's. I think the latter would have a better chance of success, but I could be wrong. I actually have no idea how much a retailer will bend over to help.

OK, having written that, must it be a badger? Omega makes some tiny boars and I think they might even make a tiny badger/boar hybrid.

Good luck in your quest!

I think I did ask something similar when I was waiting for the Berkeley to arrive. Now that I have the Berkeley and have tried it, I think it's still on a large size for me. Again, an absolutely great brush in all respects and I really enjoy it, but I prefer smaller. My TGN finest restore with 22/48 dimensions and a fan shaped knot is more to my liking as far as size/shape, but I really do enjoy the Simpsons best badger and handle. So, I do not lack a good brush to use, just still curious about other smaller production brushes. I am aware of the Omega Mighty Midget in boar and mixed and will probably pick one up in boar (they are cheap), but I would like to have a badger brush like a Wee Scot with a slightly larger dimensions and handle. If anyone wants to either sell or loan their Case and/or Special, PM me. Simpson brushes are never a waste of money as they can always be passed on to others if they do not suit. The two of mine are absolutely wonderful and fairly inexpensive (as best badgers go).

25 1,705
 07-24-2012, 11:40 PM
User Info
The Classic is my travel brush and it's an excellent performer.

1 630
 07-25-2012, 01:49 AM
User Info
Mark -

How's the Classic knot stuffed relative to the Case? I had a Case and liked everything about it, except that I found the knot to be a bit sparse.

I may have to spring for a Classic.

37 1,731
 07-25-2012, 07:08 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(07-25-2012, 01:49 AM)yohannrjm Wrote: Mark -

How's the Classic knot stuffed relative to the Case? I had a Case and liked everything about it, except that I found the knot to be a bit sparse.

I may have to spring for a Classic.

Seeing as how Classic is about twice the price of the Case, I would say it's got about twice the hair. That on a knot only a little larger (22mm vs. 19mm) would mean a more dense brush than the Case. I haen't tried either, so this is pure speculation. I don't really mind a sparse brush as long as it keeps the backbone. A super-dense brush tends to hold on to the lather, which I don't like. The lather is MINE and I want it for my shave, not to sit in the brush.

So far Wee Scot and WD black badger restore I have are the two badger brushes that don't hog the lather. Boars are very good at letting go of the lather also, but that's a different beast all together.

25 1,705
 07-25-2012, 09:08 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(07-24-2012, 11:40 PM)Simpson1919 Wrote: The Classic is my travel brush and it's an excellent performer.

Totally agree.What a great little brush (well,like the Wee Scot is too).

86 7,124
 07-26-2012, 08:32 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(07-25-2012, 09:08 PM)Teiste Wrote:
(07-24-2012, 11:40 PM)Simpson1919 Wrote: The Classic is my travel brush and it's an excellent performer.

Totally agree.What a great little brush (well,like the Wee Scot is too).

I will need to think about that. I was trying to keep it around $50. Classic is about double that. I am also very happy with TGN finest fan shaped knot in an Ever-Ready 650PB handle (solid resin, not hollow - really nice handle). I'll keep an eye out for a Classic, though.

25 1,705
 07-26-2012, 02:17 PM
User Info
I am not sure if it qualifies as a small brush, but I have the Simpson 46 and love it. To me it is a smaller brush and one of the best buys on the marked.

Hope this helps,
Ed

19 697
 07-26-2012, 05:08 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(07-26-2012, 02:17 PM)LookingGlass Wrote: I am not sure if it qualifies as a small brush, but I have the Simpson 46 and love it. To me it is a smaller brush and one of the best buys on the marked.

Hope this helps,
Ed

If you mean Simpson Berkeley 46, I do own it and it is too big for me. However, I agree, it's a really good brush. For under $50 it's a super value. I talked about it in post 1.

25 1,705
 08-07-2012, 11:43 AM
  • MikeGJ
  • Grand Junction, CO
User Info
I have a Special, in best, and like it very much. I'm a face latherer, and it works wonderfully in that role. Very efficient.

Same quality as the Berkeley 46, but smaller. Inexpensive, in a relative sense, as has been noted.

Sounds like what you are looking for. I thought I wanted a Case, based on the many positive reviews I had heard, but they were unavailable when I had the "small brush" itch. The Special filled the need.

I reach for the Special more often than my Berkeley (which I also love.)

- Mike

1 108
 08-07-2012, 11:53 AM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
I can only speak for the case but it is awesome and fun to use

115 1,692