05-01-2016, 02:02 PM
User Info
I've been meaning to pick up the 70th soap, however now that Cosmo is out I'm wondering are the SV soaps before it obsolete performance wise? Such as the 70th, Dolomiti, Manna etc?

11 1,169
 05-01-2016, 02:18 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I enjoy all of the SV soaps, and I really haven't noticed a significant improvement in performance with each new formulation. Tundra and Cosmo are probably a little slicker, which I have enjoyed since I use straights. However, I think 70th is my favorite SV soap overall, although my favorite scent is still Aromatica.

38 5,113
 05-01-2016, 02:28 PM
User Info
(05-01-2016, 02:02 PM)1Geralt Wrote: I've been meaning to pick up the 70th soap, however now that Cosmo is out I'm wondering are the SV soaps before it obsolete performance wise? Such as the 70th, Dolomiti, Manna etc?

No, they are each unique in performance in ease of lathering, thirstiness, lather quality, and post shave feel.

70th Anniversary is highly recommended by many including myself. Is there something beside scent you could mention youre hoping to get from one of the soaps? Id be more than happy to give you a hand choosing.

79 1,339
 05-01-2016, 02:30 PM
User Info
I recently picked up 70th even though Cosmo was available, largely due to scent profile preferences.

28 1,098
 05-01-2016, 02:39 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
If anything SV has offered a marvelous diversity in non palm oil that alone is pleasing to people with environmental concerns. As noted, there are
soaps to match  all manner of skin and beard types and post shave care.

2 3,171
 05-01-2016, 06:37 PM
User Info
(05-01-2016, 02:28 PM)zaclikestoshave Wrote:
(05-01-2016, 02:02 PM)1Geralt Wrote: I've been meaning to pick up the 70th soap, however now that Cosmo is out I'm wondering are the SV soaps before it obsolete performance wise? Such as the 70th, Dolomiti, Manna etc?

No, they are each unique in performance in ease of lathering, thirstiness, lather quality, and post shave feel.

70th Anniversary is highly recommended by many including myself. Is there something beside scent you could mention youre hoping to get from one of the soaps? Id be more than happy to give you a hand choosing.

Hi Zack, I guess I'm looking for the best post shave feel, moisturizing and just plain good for the skin. I'm about to get Cosmo now, I'm thinking of adding 70th and Dolomiti as well. Good choices?

11 1,169
 05-01-2016, 07:43 PM
User Info
(05-01-2016, 06:37 PM)1Geralt Wrote:
(05-01-2016, 02:28 PM)zaclikestoshave Wrote:

Hi Zack, I guess I'm looking for the best post shave feel, moisturizing and just plain good for the skin. I'm about to get Cosmo now, I'm thinking of adding 70th and Dolomiti as well. Good choices?

The Dolomiti is very suitable for MY skin. I still get acne, and the herbs in the scent triangle I believe are what help clear up my complexion and aid in calming my skin during the shave. An example of this is Dolomiti including Sage and Lavender. Cedar wood is also good for problematic skin. Le Pére Lucien traditional is another example of a soap that has a lot of oils that work beyond the nose and work with the skin during the shave. 

The high amount of ash in Manna is a really good thing for the performance and post shave. I like the performance of Manna over all the other SV soaps but I would definitely get the 70th as that has a good amount of the Manna ash as well as the wonderful Illipe butter and Macadamia Nut oil. I just got Cosmo yesterday and will shave with it tonight or tomorrow but the recipe is quite a bit different. Many of my friends seem to enjoy the performance and skin conditioning of the soap/ASB combo.

Hopefully that is helpful. I have purchased and kept all the soaps they released except Felce Aromatica. I may revisit it but my nose does not agree with something in that soap. The soap worked wonderfully though.

79 1,339
 05-01-2016, 07:47 PM
User Info
(05-01-2016, 07:43 PM)zaclikestoshave Wrote:
(05-01-2016, 06:37 PM)1Geralt Wrote:
(05-01-2016, 02:28 PM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: No, they are each unique in performance in ease of lathering, thirstiness, lather quality, and post shave feel.

The Dolomiti is very suitable for My skin. I still get acne, and the herbs in the scent triangle I believe are what help clear up my complexion and aid in calming my skin during the shave.

The high amount of ash in Manna is a really good thing for the performance and post shave. I like the performance of Manna over all the other SV soaps but I would definitely get the 70th as that has a good amount of the Manna ash as well. I just got Cosmo yesterday and will shave with it tonight or tomorrow but the recipe is quite a bit different. Many of my friends seem to enjoy the performance and skin conditioning of the soap/ASB combo.

Hopefully that is helpful. I have all the released except Felce Aromatica. I may revisit it but my nose does not agree with something in that soap. The soap worked wonderfully though.

Yes that is very helpful. I placed an order for both 70th and Cosmo, I will place another order for Dolomiti and Manna. Thank you Zack, much appreciated.

11 1,169
 05-01-2016, 07:56 PM
User Info
Whoa, great comments @zachlikestoshave!

28 1,098
 05-01-2016, 08:05 PM
User Info
(05-01-2016, 07:56 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: Whoa, great comments @zachlikestoshave!

Agreed, the man really knows his software. This is why I like our community it's a treasure trove. Peer reviews and insights are the best.

11 1,169
 05-01-2016, 09:38 PM
User Info
(05-01-2016, 08:05 PM)1Geralt Wrote:
(05-01-2016, 07:56 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: Whoa, great comments @zachlikestoshave!

Agreed, the man really knows his software. This is why I like our community it's a treasure trove. Peer reviews and insights are the best.

Thank you both mike_the_kraken and 1Geralt. Luckily I have found a brand that I am happy to support and luckily, they have wonderful products that work for me. I plan to do a full review of the entire line of soaps from SV and my experiences using them. Hopefully you and the rest on the board find it useful or insightful when I get it all together.

Feel free to post or PM me when you get the soaps and share your experience with me, especially if you need help.  Smile

79 1,339
 10-25-2016, 12:50 AM
User Info
I own them all - even the Dolomitti in both versions (Black and original)

There are some variations, but all in all, when all is said and done they all perform great for me.

Buy the one you like in the scent you presume, you would prefer.

24 5,971
 10-25-2016, 07:01 AM
User Info
I have only used two from them , 70th and felce. I enjoyed the scents and both performed excellent. I plan on re purchasing them both in the near future along with cosmo and dolomitti.

60 1,535
 10-25-2016, 08:20 AM
User Info
(05-01-2016, 08:05 PM)1Geralt Wrote:

+1 to this. Very informative.

My personal favorite from SV is Tundra Artica mostly due to the scent profile, but I've tried them all and the performance and postshave feel were always up there with my best soaps.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

14 97