05-02-2016, 06:26 AM
User Info
As I am on a mission in the next year not to buy any new products (other than blades as necessary) and to reduce my stock pile, as of my birthday on April 7 i decided I am going to use a soap completely before I move on to the next one.  Since that time I killed off a puck of Stirling Almond Creme, and yesterday started on a tub of AOS lemon cream I have had for a year and a half.  My ultimate goal is to get through my current stock, and then only keep 1 to 2 soaps/creams at a time for actual use.  

My question for those of you that do work through an entire product, what do enjoy about 3017? What do you dislike about it?  Have you ever had a product so bad that you just tossed it?  
Thanks

90 904
 05-02-2016, 07:26 AM
User Info
I'm not a strict 3017er but I have committed to using up one product before starting a new one. I've picked up a few new products since then so I broke my rule to test those out but now i'm back to 3017ing my original soap.

I'm using up a tub of Dapper Dragon Jasmine Vanilla. At first I didn't really care for the scent but it's grown on me now. My initial shaves with it were so-so but after using it continuously for a week or two i've figured out how to load and lather with it. It is now my benchmark for lather; I love the creamy, heavy and dense lather it makes. When comparing other soaps I now know what I like whereas just using whatever soap i picked that day I wasn't really sure if I was getting the most out of the lather.

24 664
 05-02-2016, 07:55 AM
User Info
I became a 3017er at the beginning of this year and over time a couple of benefits have become noticeable:
  • No hand-wringing or delay about what soap to use
  • No guilt about not using a soap in so long
  • You get better at loading and lathering by repetition
  • Getting a fuller appreciation for scent dimensions
  • Actually understanding what a difference various ingredients can make
  • Discovering what actually works best for you
The first two are subjective, as maybe others don't fret about what to use in the morning as much as I used to. The last four though, are I think fairly objective benefits as they are all the results of dedication and repetition. By using the same soap over and over, you really learn its ins and outs from a performance and scent perspective.

The cons are pretty straightforward:
  • Using the same soap everyday can get boring
To stave this off, I like to vary my razors, brushes, and post-shave (aftershave, fragrance) routine. You can discover some really interesting pairings by trying different combos out with the same soap.

16 1,027
 05-02-2016, 08:03 AM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
I like the 3017 method because it has helped my skin and complexion.
Alternating between 15-20 soaps, as I did for many years, actually irritated my skin at times.

3017ing a soap is great because there is order to it. I have a humble queue of soaps I look forward to.
Soaps last longer than some think and it's easy to over load the den.

Right now I am working through two pucks of Haslinger Coconut, many brushes (that's where the fun is), Blackbird Polished and Iridiums.
No changes at all and the best most consistent shaves of my life.

I look forward to some Mike's Natural and Michelle's newer Mystic Water soaps (she is working on) but that's down the road.

The 3017 approach helped reduce the chaos and re-energized my enjoyment for wet shaving...at least for me.

42 1,041
 05-02-2016, 10:37 AM
User Info
(05-02-2016, 06:26 AM)chromedometone Wrote: Have you ever had a product so bad that you just tossed it? 

Absolutely.  If it something isn't good enough to use every day, then why bother with it at all.  There were some well reviewed soaps that were either given away, used as shower soaps, or just tossed in the bin.

18 591
 05-02-2016, 10:47 AM
User Info
(05-02-2016, 08:03 AM)VTMAX Wrote: The 3017 approach helped reduce the chaos and re-energized my enjoyment for wet shaving...at least for me.

I think that is what I am looking for as well.  I get the fretting about what soap to use too.  Sometimes I would spend 5 minutes just trying to figure out what soap I was going to use that day.  That doesn't happen anymore.  I will say that I have no Mikes soaps and have been really itching to try them, and a few listings on the BST have come up that I have REALLY wanted to pick up...but, "by constant self-discipline and self-control, you can develop greatness of character."  Greenville Kleiser.

90 904
 05-02-2016, 11:10 AM
  • carvelo
  • Puerto Rico
User Info
(05-02-2016, 10:37 AM)PanChango Wrote:
(05-02-2016, 06:26 AM)chromedometone Wrote: Have you ever had a product so bad that you just tossed it? 

Absolutely.  If it something isn't good enough to use every day, then why bother with it at all.  There were some well reviewed soaps that were either given away, used as shower soaps, or just tossed in the bin.

That is why I did pif and sell almost all of my soaps away. I currently own four soaps. Tabac, D.R. Harris Windsor, LPL Apricot, and MDC unscented.  Also a Tabac stick. Should it be five? I know. It is too few.

18 415
 05-02-2016, 11:37 AM
User Info
(05-02-2016, 11:10 AM)carvelo Wrote:
(05-02-2016, 10:37 AM)PanChango Wrote:

That is why I did pif and sell almost all of my soaps away. I currently own four soaps. Tabac, D.R. Harris Windsor, LPL Apricot, and MDC unscented.  Also a Tabac stick. Should it be five? I know. It is too few.

I don't think it is too few.  You like what you like and that is what you have.  Nothing wrong with that at all.

90 904
 05-02-2016, 11:40 AM
User Info
I did it for a while but honestly I think I liked the camaraderie of the "other site" 3017 thread most about it. I like getting to dial in a soap lather but find 2-3 weeks enough for me before I want to move on, so now I'm in the Soap A Week club instead.

6 797
 05-02-2016, 11:45 AM
User Info
3017ing helps teach you how to use a product. 

At first I had horrible trouble getting Mystic waters to work, so much so I found myself skipping it during rotations... I ended up putting it to shower brush duty and in  few weeks I became a pro with it using it with all lather techniques (pro tip, load at least 3x you'd normally expect, the soap still lasts a long time).

18 655
 05-03-2016, 07:29 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
3017? Most unworthy shaver humbly asks, "WTF does that mean?"

7 2,359
 05-03-2016, 07:51 AM
User Info
(05-03-2016, 07:29 AM)Mouser Wrote: 3017? Most unworthy shaver humbly asks, "WTF does that mean?"

Heh, I've always wondered myself.  As far as I can tell, its taken from an old Badger & Blade thread (around 2009 or 2010) that started with one of the members wondering, based on his extensive stockpile, in what year will he finish.  The thing I don't quite understand is that he guesses 2017.  So I don't know what 3017 means.  Is it just a typo?

84 1,505
 05-03-2016, 07:56 AM
User Info
(05-03-2016, 07:29 AM)Mouser Wrote: 3017? Most unworthy shaver humbly asks, "WTF does that mean?"

(05-03-2016, 07:51 AM)jpakstis Wrote:

Heh, I've always wondered myself.  As far as I can tell, its taken from an old Badger & Blade thread (around 2009 or 2010) that started with one of the members wondering, based on his extensive stockpile, in what year will he finish.  The thing I don't quite understand is that he guesses 2017.  So I don't know what 3017 means.  Is it just a typo?

You got most of the way there. IIRC he meant to write 2017, but mistyped it as 3017, and the term stuck.

Nowadays it means going through your soap collection one at a time, completely finishing one off before moving to the next. The currently several hundred page B&B thread has become its own community within a community, with people sharing their experiences and tips.

16 1,027
 05-03-2016, 12:34 PM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
Historic typo and indeed one that stuck. Personally, I have learned more in that thread (or community within a community) than any other since this all started on the old MSN Wetshavers board from 2003-2004. Just a great thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

42 1,041
 05-03-2016, 11:24 PM
User Info
(05-02-2016, 10:37 AM)PanChango Wrote: Absolutely.  If it something isn't good enough to use every day, then why bother with it at all.  There were some well reviewed soaps that were either given away, used as shower soaps, or just tossed in the bin.

For the same reason I don't eat ribeye steak every night even though I love it.... Variety is nice. Sure I won't waste time with something I dislike, but I have many soaps that are fine, and the scent is sometimes enough of a reason to rotate back to it.

6 797
 05-05-2016, 12:39 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
I will say that there are no better reviewers than the 3017'ers of that thread. I don't give much weight to glowing reviews after the user used it for the first time. I don't have the discipline or desire so I join Gig103 in the Soap of the Week thread (SAW) here.

76 1,391
 05-05-2016, 12:57 PM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
Amen. Best Thread in shavedom. Balance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

42 1,041
 05-05-2016, 02:38 PM
User Info
I understand the idea behind 3017.

Sometimes I start using a soap or a cream and do manage to use it for 2-3 shaves in a row and often wonder why I stop using it.

The need for variety and change usually makes me lust for a new soap/cream - so I can't see myself being a 3017'er, but asa said I can understand the idea behind it.

I often use canned shaving goo/gel for my head shaves, and very often use the same product for the head shaves, but for my regular shaves I just like the variety too much - and I own so mnay fine shaving creams and shaving soaps now, so why use the same one all the time ?

24 6,018
 05-05-2016, 07:15 PM
User Info
(05-05-2016, 02:38 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: I understand the idea behind 3017.

Sometimes I start using a soap or a cream and do manage to use it for 2-3 shaves in a row and often wonder why I stop using it.

The need for variety and change usually makes me lust for a new soap/cream - so I can't see myself being a 3017'er, but asa said I can understand the idea behind it.

I often use canned shaving goo/gel for my head shaves, and very often use the same product for the head shaves, but for my regular shaves I just like the variety too much - and I own so mnay fine shaving creams and shaving soaps now, so why use the same one all the time ?
I do 3017 my bath soap. Have you tried Proraso canned foam for your head? I haven't used it but wonder if it's any better than the Barbasol?

6 797
 05-05-2016, 07:28 PM
User Info
I typically use a soap repeatedly for several days and then switch to something else when I get the urge. This has worked well for me. Switching soaps every shave was fine when I started wet shaving but I eventually felt I was not really enjoying the products.

I have never tried a full beginning to end treatment though. In March Madness I stuck with one soap for the whole month. The first week or two was fine, and then there was a few days of boredom to get through, followed by many days of calm, thought-free, almost meditative shaving. Interesting, but I'm not sure I'd want to do this all the time.

40 1,195