05-02-2016, 04:24 PM
User Info
Ok so for the past several months I've been shaving with perma sharp super and I thought it was the smoothest blades around.....that is until one of the members here sent me a few packs of the voskhod Teflon. All I can say is I'm absolutely floored at how smooth this blade is. 2 passes with a touch up and it resulted in a better than DFS. VERY EFFICIENT I was running them in my ATT R1 and I'm absolutely addicted to these blades. A large bulk order is going to happen. I don't ever want to be without these babies.

Fellowship of cold water shavers

5 164
 05-02-2016, 04:31 PM
User Info
I agree, great blade at a great price and no wax spots. I think they barely edge out the polsilvers for me but I'm not positive.

26 762
 05-02-2016, 05:42 PM
User Info
Agreed!

One of my favorite blades.

82 2,179
 05-02-2016, 05:48 PM
  • DJL813
  • Darien, CT
User Info
That's funny...just had a similar experience and traded for 100 blades.

123 533
 05-03-2016, 06:07 PM
  • Urolex
  • Phoenix, AZ
User Info
I couldn't agree with this post more. Voskhods are the smoothest. I just got a bunch of Sputniks as well, I've heard they're similar. All things equal...the lack of wax still ours the Voskhods ahead

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

49 415
 05-03-2016, 06:18 PM
User Info
Voskhods are definitely in my top 5 blades.  They aren't as sharp as some of the others but when put in an aggressive razor they work wonders.  As far as the Sputniks go though I tried them thinking the same thing that they would be similar but I couldn't have been more wrong.  Felt like the dullest blade ever.

0 94
 05-03-2016, 06:50 PM
User Info
These are among my favorite blades.  I have over 500 Voskhod in my blade stash.  Right now, the price on these from the Russian ebay vendors is quite reasonable.

48 5,727
 05-18-2016, 11:23 AM
User Info
I was interested in this thread because, coincidentally, I was in the middle of testing Voskhod blades against Sputniks. My method was shave a week with Voskhod and then the next with Sputniks. I used ATT H1 and H2 heads switching between them, with a rotation of soaps. After a couple weeks I could totally tell the the difference between the two blades. I then asked my wife to load a blade (Voskhod/Sputnik) without me knowing. I then shaved and was able call out the blade used, 5 times in a row. Next I decided to shave half my face and head with a Voskhod in the H1 head and a Sputnik in the H2 head, then switch and repeat. I then would compare the results with the alum block and then how each side felt as it grew out. By now my two week test was pushing a month, here's my totally personal results....

1) With the grain, Sputniks were smoother and the audible feed back had a different sound to it, like not as loud or maybe lower in pitch. This one difference is how I could instantly know which blade was in the razor.

2) Across the grain, the two blades felt very close with the Voskhod again giving louder feedback. I couldn't really tell any performance advantage for either blade.

3) Against the grain, The Sputnik felt a little harsher and again I could tell the difference right away. The Voskhod was noticeably smoother ATG.

4) Now here's where it gets interesting. Head shaving the Sputniks win hands down. Let me explain, when head shaving I follow the same pattern, with the razor and then perform touch ups. The Voskhod required several more touch up passes. (on the back of my head)  I'm not sure why the Voskhod doesn't perform as well on the less coarse head hair. I also feel like the Voskhod blade is thinner than the Sputnik and has some flex. Any head shaver will tell you that the back of the head, where one shaves blind/ by feel, is probably the most revealing blade/razor feedback area. I can feel the angle of the razor, the blade, the drag and the efficiency of the cutting so much more because I can't see it, only feel it.

5) The alum block test didn't give me any noticeable difference from the Voskhod side vs Sputnik side. I don't rub the alum on my head.

6) The stubble growth test, both face and head, goes to the Sputnik. This is the shave one side with Voskhod and other with Sputnik testing. I would shave and check (by feel)as the stubble returned. The sputnik lasted a longer. As a matter of fact as I write this, I'm rubbing the back of my hand ATG on both cheeks,...left cheek smoother, Sputnik side.

Like all of these observations/ tests that wet shavers perform, the results are only relevant to the tester himself.

For me they are both good blades, Sputniks just shave my head hair better and seem to give me longer lasting face shave. 

That is all
KB

1 94
 05-18-2016, 12:44 PM
User Info
i love Voskhods, its my everyday blade... and at less then 10 cents a blade its pretty hard to beat

0 95
 05-19-2016, 06:52 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(05-18-2016, 11:23 AM)kberga69 Wrote: I was interested in this thread because, coincidentally, I was in the middle of testing Voskhod blades against Sputniks. My method was shave a week with Voskhod and then the next with Sputniks. I used ATT H1 and H2 heads switching between them, with a rotation of soaps. After a couple weeks I could totally tell the the difference between the two blades. I then asked my wife to load a blade (Voskhod/Sputnik) without me knowing. I then shaved and was able call out the blade used, 5 times in a row. Next I decided to shave half my face and head with a Voskhod in the H1 head and a Sputnik in the H2 head, then switch and repeat. I then would compare the results with the alum block and then how each side felt as it grew out. By now my two week test was pushing a month, here's my totally personal results....

1) With the grain, Sputniks were smoother and the audible feed back had a different sound to it, like not as loud or maybe lower in pitch. This one difference is how I could instantly know which blade was in the razor.

2) Across the grain, the two blades felt very close with the Voskhod again giving louder feedback. I couldn't really tell any performance advantage for either blade.

3) Against the grain, The Sputnik felt a little harsher and again I could tell the difference right away. The Voskhod was noticeably smoother ATG.

4) Now here's where it gets interesting. Head shaving the Sputniks win hands down. Let me explain, when head shaving I follow the same pattern, with the razor and then perform touch ups. The Voskhod required several more touch up passes. (on the back of my head)  I'm not sure why the Voskhod doesn't perform as well on the less coarse head hair. I also feel like the Voskhod blade is thinner than the Sputnik and has some flex. Any head shaver will tell you that the back of the head, where one shaves blind/ by feel, is probably the most revealing blade/razor feedback area. I can feel the angle of the razor, the blade, the drag and the efficiency of the cutting so much more because I can't see it, only feel it.

5) The alum block test didn't give me any noticeable difference from the Voskhod side vs Sputnik side. I don't rub the alum on my head.

6) The stubble growth test, both face and head, goes to the Sputnik. This is the shave one side with Voskhod and other with Sputnik testing. I would shave and check (by feel)as the stubble returned. The sputnik lasted a longer. As a matter of fact as I write this, I'm rubbing the back of my hand ATG on both cheeks,...left cheek smoother, Sputnik side.

Like all of these observations/ tests that wet shavers perform, the results are only relevant to the tester himself.

For me they are both good blades, Sputniks just shave my head hair better and seem to give me longer lasting face shave. 

That is all
KB

A well constructed post, KB. Smile

4 1,940
 05-20-2016, 01:31 PM
User Info
I've been reaching for these blades more and more recently. Really liking the voskhods...

3 328
 05-20-2016, 01:36 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
My favorite DE blade at this time : 1 shave and toss : at these prices, why not?

102 18,555
 05-20-2016, 08:09 PM
User Info
Voskhod are one of my favorites, as well. They always give me a really good shave, and they are dirt cheap, too. What's not to love?

3 196
 05-20-2016, 08:55 PM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
I have a bunch of these and haven't used them in a long time. Thanks for the nudge--they are on deck for this weekend. I forgot they had no wax Biggrin

60 843
 05-20-2016, 08:57 PM
  • Viking
  • Artisan - Soap & Cosmetics
  • Ames, Iowa
User Info
I ordered 100 of these a little while back and haven't reached for them very often because I seem to remember reading a post where the factory that made Rapira/Voshkod was having some production issues... Am I just crazy or does anyone else recall seeing information like that? I guess the take home message here is forget what I read before, I need to start using these bad boys!

10 231
 05-21-2016, 05:37 AM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
Yes, I now prefer them over all others including Super Iridiums and Kai blades. Right amount of sharpness and smoothest blades out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

42 1,041
 05-21-2016, 07:16 AM
User Info
(05-02-2016, 04:24 PM)Mastermason151 Wrote: Ok so for the past several months I've been shaving with perma sharp super and I thought it was the smoothest blades around.....that is until one of the members here sent me a few packs of the voskhod Teflon. All I can say is I'm absolutely floored at how smooth this blade is. 2 passes with a touch up and it resulted in a better than DFS. VERY EFFICIENT  I was running them in my ATT R1 and I'm absolutely addicted to these blades. A large bulk order is going to happen. I don't ever want to be without these babies.

Fellowship of cold water shavers

Thanks Mastermason151 Biggrin

0 52
 05-24-2016, 12:53 PM
  • DJL813
  • Darien, CT
User Info
Astra SP used to be my every day, go-to blade and still consider it one of the best blades on the market.....however, about a month ago I started using the Voskhod and have been stocking up on them ever since---it's my daily driver regardless of the razor being used.

123 533
 05-24-2016, 01:55 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
double post- it's bill gates fault

2 3,171
 05-24-2016, 01:57 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I had an uncle who swore Oldsmobiles were superior to Pontiacs. I have a theory, unsubstantiated by Yasha that some head of production in St  Petersburg pours tea from the Samovar, looks at his notes and announces 'Today is Voshkod day, change printing, change labels- don't forget wax from comrade bees'. I just love all Russian blades. I THINK
some are better than others.

2 3,171