05-02-2016, 04:32 PM
User Info
I recently was lucky enough to acquire a polished, stainless steel SB Wolfman with the standard blade gap. I bought it brand new, second hand at a reasonable price. Within the same week I found a barely used BBS-1. Both were found at a very reasonable price, and I count myself very lucky to have found them so quickly after beginning my search, and doubly lucky for not having to break the bank on them.

I'm relatively new to traditional wet shaving, having only used carts in years past, and began my journey last August with the OneBlade. I never intended to become a razor collector or aficionado like many here. I've always just wanted to buy the best, and stick with it. From everything I've read and experienced, the OneBlade is the best SE money can buy. But I've never before used a DE, and the Wolfman seems to be the most highly praised DE ever made. So, I figured, I have the best SE, I need to see what all this fuss is about DE's, and get the best DE. So, I got my Wolfman and BBS-1.

Three days ago I opened my brand new Wolfman and loaded a Polsilver Super Iridium Blade and lathered up with one of my top 2 current soaps, La Savonniere du Moulin. Before shaving, I just took some time staring at this razor. The workmanship, fit and finish, is really second to none. If there was ever a jewel made out of steel, I was holding it in my hands. The head profile is slim and nimble, able to zip around the tightest angles with ease, and I can even go WTG under the nose (OneBlade can't do me WTG under the nose, only AGT.) It really is a masterpiece of art and craftsmanship!

And then I began shaving. And let me preface this shave by saying that I'm a AGT guy, for nearly the entire shave. The shave felt very, very smooth, whisking away whiskers to a BBS level of closeness with incredible ease. Of course, there are always trouble spots that require a bit more work and buffing, but that was to be expected.

What was not expected was the amount of blood loss this razor caused me. Countless weepers, a few moderate cuts, and the most overall irritation I've ever experienced from a shave in my life. Even the SdM soap, the gentlest, most nourishing soap I have, burned on application of my buffing pass. I got out of the shower to look in the mirror (I shower shave exclusively), to see a bright red, torn up mess of a face, but at least I did get a BBS result. I have an SdM balm I use for potentially bad shaves, and boy did I need it, after stopping the still bleeding moderate cuts with the alum!

To say the least, I was disappointed with the results of this razor's first shave. And I'm thinking to myself, if this is the pinnacle of the DE world, why would cart or electric shavers ever want to go through this kind of torture or awful appearance to master a refined DE technique???!!! I was a complete newbie 8 months ago, and my OneBlade's first shave gave me a couple very minor weepers, no irritation or redness, and a BBS shave just as close and long lasting as what I just had with the Wolfman.

Maybe its all downhill after the OneBlade (the OneBlade does seem to be the best thought out designed and engineered razor on the market). And maybe I will just have to work on refining my technique with the Wolfman to get as safe and comfortable as what I can get with the OneBlade. Regardless, I will be going back to the Wolfman, and I will master DE shaving with it. (No gents, I'm not selling just yet, so spare the flood of PM's.) But today, I had to shave with the OneBlade, because my face is not completely healed after the Wolfman's maiden voyage. Perfect, effortless, safe, BBS shave BTW, and just as close as with the Wolfman! Will try the Wolfman again in 2 days time. Definitely a lighter touch, and with much higher awareness.

Guys who are experienced DE shavers may have not had any issue with the Wolfman, but I have to say that this is definitely not a razor to be used to introduce guys to traditional wet shaving. Maybe something like an AS-D2 or a OneBlade is best to start guys out in this world. But if I can achieve the same result, with more safety and comfort, what's the point? At this stage, it is hard for me to understand the near universal love of this razor beyond the point of how beautiful it is, or how masterfully it is machined. Or, am I missing something I'm unable to grasp in these early days?

2 308
 05-02-2016, 04:45 PM
User Info
(05-02-2016, 04:32 PM)Len Wrote: I recently was lucky enough to acquire a polished, stainless steel SB Wolfman with the standard blade gap. I bought it brand new, second hand at a reasonable price. Within the same week I found a barely used BBS-1. Both were found at a very reasonable price, and I count myself very lucky to have found them so quickly after beginning my search, and doubly lucky for not having to break the bank on them.

I'm relatively new to traditional wet shaving, having only used carts in years past, and began my journey last August with the OneBlade. I never intended to become a razor collector or aficionado like many here. I've always just wanted to buy the best, and stick with it. From everything I've read and experienced, the OneBlade is the best SE money can buy. But I've never before used a DE, and the Wolfman seems to be the most highly praised DE ever made. So, I figured, I have the best SE, I need to see what all this fuss is about DE's, and get the best DE. So, I got my Wolfman and BBS-1.

Three days ago I opened my brand new Wolfman and loaded a Polsilver Super Iridium Blade and lathered up with one of my top 2 current soaps, La Savonniere du Moulin. Before shaving, I just took some time staring at this razor. The workmanship, fit and finish, is really second to none. If there was ever a jewel made out of steel, I was holding it in my hands. The head profile is slim and nimble, able to zip around the tightest angles with ease, and I can even go WTG under the nose (OneBlade can't do me WTG under the nose, only AGT.) It really is a masterpiece of art and craftsmanship!

And then I began shaving. And let me preface this shave by saying that I'm a AGT guy, for nearly the entire shave. The shave felt very, very smooth, whisking away whiskers to a BBS level of closeness with incredible ease. Of course, there are always trouble spots that require a bit more work and buffing, but that was to be expected.

What was not expected was the amount of blood loss this razor caused me. Countless weepers, a few moderate cuts, and the most overall irritation I've ever experienced from a shave in my life. Even the SdM soap, the gentlest, most nourishing soap I have, burned on application of my buffing pass. I got out of the shower to look in the mirror (I shower shave exclusively), to see a bright red, torn up mess of a face, but at least I did get a BBS result. I have an SdM balm I use for potentially bad shaves, and boy did I need it, after stopping the still bleeding moderate cuts with the alum!

To say the least, I was disappointed with the results of this razor's first shave. And I'm thinking to myself, if this is the pinnacle of the DE world, why would cart or electric shavers ever want to go through this kind of torture or awful appearance to master a refined DE technique???!!! I was a complete newbie 8 months ago, and my OneBlade's first shave gave me a couple very minor weepers, no irritation or redness, and a BBS shave just as close and long lasting as what I just had with the Wolfman.

Maybe its all downhill after the OneBlade (the OneBlade does seem to be the best thought out designed and engineered razor on the market). And maybe I will just have to work on refining my technique with the Wolfman to get as safe and comfortable as what I can get with the OneBlade. Regardless, I will be going back to the Wolfman, and I will master DE shaving with it. (No gents, I'm not selling just yet, so spare the flood of PM's.) But today, I had to shave with the OneBlade, because my face is not completely healed after the Wolfman's maiden voyage. Perfect, effortless, safe, BBS shave BTW, and just as close as with the Wolfman! Will try the Wolfman again in 2 days time. Definitely a lighter touch, and with much higher awareness.

Guys who are experienced DE shavers may have not had any issue with the Wolfman, but I have to say that this is definitely not a razor to be used to introduce guys to traditional wet shaving. Maybe something like an AS-D2 or a OneBlade is best to start guys out in this world. But if I can achieve the same result, with more safety and comfort, what's the point? At this stage, it is hard for me to understand the near universal love of this razor beyond the point of how beautiful it is, or how masterfully it is machined. Or, am I missing something I'm unable to grasp in these early days?

I will say , my friend, never having used a de razor, completed a 1 pass and cleanup without a single nick using my wolfman oc, it was either no nicks or 1 I can't remember. But one thing with the wolfman is they hold the blade so rigid that there is not a lot of room for flex, which means with a very sharp blade and poor form you can nick yourself easily.

28 779
 05-02-2016, 04:50 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Len, I suspect user error here, quite honestly.

102 18,652
 05-02-2016, 04:52 PM
  • Urolex
  • Phoenix, AZ
User Info
I just traded my WR SB for a BBS-1, and I also have a OneBlade. I understand how you feel, but don't get discouraged.

I spent nearly a year tracking down Tradere SB as it was my "white whale". After just a couple of shaves, I was very disappointed. I made an effort to shave only at night so that I wouldn't be rushed and I could take the time to learn the razor. After a while, it soon performed for me up to its grand reputation. What I've found is that each razor had its own unique characteristics. If you give the WM time, I'm sure it'll be worth it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

50 421
 05-02-2016, 04:53 PM
User Info
(05-02-2016, 04:50 PM)Agravic Wrote: Len, I suspect user error here, quite honestly.

No doubt about it Ravi... but what makes a razor so special that allows for the possibility or probability of such a high degree of user error?

2 308
 05-02-2016, 04:54 PM
User Info
(05-02-2016, 04:52 PM)Urolex Wrote: I just traded my WR SB for a BBS-1, and I also have a OneBlade.  I understand how you feel, but don't get discouraged.  

I spent nearly a year tracking down Tradere SB as it was my "white whale".  After just a couple of shaves, I was very disappointed.  I made an effort to shave only at night so that I wouldn't be rushed and I could take the time to learn the razor.  After a while, it soon performed for me up to its grand reputation.  What I've found is that each razor had its own unique characteristics.  If you give the WM time, I'm sure it'll be worth it.  

Thanks for the encouragement... I really hope the WM can live up to my expectations.

2 308
 05-02-2016, 04:54 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Think of the Wolfman as a finely tuned sports car with manual transmission and the Oneblade as a Lexus with automatic transmission. The sports car requires some skill while any fool can drive the Lexus. Tongue

Take your time with the Wolfman and learn its charms. Once you are familiar with it, it really shines.

46 18,355
 05-02-2016, 04:57 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(05-02-2016, 04:53 PM)Len Wrote:
(05-02-2016, 04:50 PM)Agravic Wrote: Len, I suspect user error here, quite honestly.

No doubt about it Ravi... but what makes a razor so special that allows for the possibility or probability of such a high degree of user error?

I'm not sure how you are defining such.
Don't get me wrong; OneBlade is a favorite of mine as it's virtually idiot proof in terms of ease of use and performance, not dissimilar to cartridge razors.
That being said, Wolfman in my opinion is one of the, if not the best DE I've used.  This comes from over 10 years of wet shaving experience.
Thus my comment of 'user error'.  
I wonder if your expectations and perhaps experience with traditional razors may have been a tad misaligned.

102 18,652
 05-02-2016, 04:57 PM
User Info
(05-02-2016, 04:54 PM)bullgoose Wrote: Think of the Wolfman as a finely tuned sports car with manual transmission and the Oneblade as a Lexus with automatic transmission. The sports car requires some skill while any fool can drive the Lexus. Tongue

Exactly this, the one blade was designed with ease of use. Blade rigity and form comes into play here in my opinion, especially with a thin sharp blade like the polsilvers

28 779
 05-02-2016, 05:01 PM
User Info
(05-02-2016, 04:53 PM)Len Wrote:

The very thin blade that's razor sharp.....
Not to sound obtuse Len but I've tried many SE and DE razors both new and vintage and the Wolfman is by far the smoothest most intuitive one I've tried.  No offense but I can see how the OneBlade can create laziness in a guys technique.

20 1,336
 05-02-2016, 05:03 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
In order to prevent further injury, I will be happy to take the BBS1 off your hands Len. Biggrin

46 18,355
 05-02-2016, 05:03 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
How many FERRARIS have you seen used in driver training?

2 3,171
 05-02-2016, 05:05 PM
User Info
I have to agree with the statements above.

The Wolfman to me is a very safe razor. While being very efficient. Almost like an oxymoron.

Since your coming from the SE world and a OneBlade I think maybe the issue lies in not being used to a DE.

Don't give up yet.

The Wolfman is one of the finest razors to ever touch our faces and when it "clicks" you will see.

Good luck!

82 2,208
 05-02-2016, 05:06 PM
User Info
(05-02-2016, 04:54 PM)bullgoose Wrote: Think of the Wolfman as a finely tuned sports car with manual transmission and the Oneblade as a Lexus with automatic transmission. The sports car requires some skill while any fool can drive the Lexus. Tongue

Take your time with the Wolfman and learn its charms. Once you are familiar with it, it really shines.

This is what I suspect... and I do love my Audi A6, and am partial to luxury cars. Tongue

I'm going to learn how to drive this sports car though, and hopefully have my opinion changed, and mind enlightened.

2 308
 05-02-2016, 05:08 PM
User Info
(05-02-2016, 05:06 PM)Len Wrote:

This is what I suspect... and I do love my Audi A6, and am partial to luxury cars. Tongue

I'm going to learn how to drive this sports car though, and hopefully have my opinion changed, and mind enlightened.

It will Len, don't be afraid to try different blades

28 779
 05-02-2016, 05:09 PM
  • Urolex
  • Phoenix, AZ
User Info
I must admit, the OneBlade is a great razor. The problem with it, for me anyway, is that it removed all the fun out of it. In other words, little to no discipline is required for the desired effect. I know that's exactly what a lot of people want, but I missed the challenge that comes with a true DE in terms of control, angle, prep, etc.

Basically, the only reasoni still have the OneBlade is because I feel like the company probably won't be around long, and once it's unavailable, it's desirability will go through the roof. Dumb phenomenon, but true nonetheless.

50 421
 05-02-2016, 05:10 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(05-02-2016, 05:08 PM)Safelysimpson Wrote:
(05-02-2016, 05:06 PM)Len Wrote:

It will Len, don't be afraid to try different blades
Agreed...perhaps a more rigid DE blade such as the Kai would give you the feel that you want.

46 18,355
 05-02-2016, 05:12 PM
User Info
I think you have bad technique. I don't know any experienced wet shavers that have ever claimed to have gotten a poor shave or irritation from a wolf man.

63 1,720
 05-02-2016, 05:13 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(05-02-2016, 05:03 PM)kav Wrote: How many FERRARIS have you seen used in driver training?

I imagine that has something more to do with cost...

99 18,011
 05-02-2016, 05:21 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
The Wolfman without doubt is the most beautiful and exceptionally crafted DE razor I own. I enjoy using it, but I still achieve a more satisfactory shave with an SE. Now I don't suffer nicks or a poor shave as suggested by Len, but I agree with Len's findings that razors aren't universally approachable. The Mongoose is an example. while I could shave with it, the experience was not an enjoyable one for me. I spent a lot of time with it and even tried 3 versions to make sure my technique was not at fault. While I agree that technique may account for Len's experience and more time with the Wolfman will no doubt reward the user with better results, I also firmly believe that there is not one single razor that will provide excellent results for every single user.

99 18,011