05-03-2016, 07:51 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
Ever since I started collecting shaving brushes I had always assumed that the Stubby series, not to be confused with the Stubby XL series, was the same as the Style 1.  It wasn't until I was re-organizing my collection trying to make some more room that I realized that there is indeed a difference between the two.  I haven't seen this discussed before so I thought I would post some pictures to clear the confusion.

[Image: LRq6plo.jpg]
Stubby 1 on left; Style 1/Size 1 on right

[Image: eHGBzgo.jpg]
Stubby 2 (D.R. Harris) on left; Style 1/Size 2 (TOBS) on right

[Image: cMugCNC.jpg]
Style 1/Size 2 (M&F) on left; Stubby 2 (D.R.H.) on right

As you can see, the center ring on the Stubby series is thinner and less pronounced.  There is also a pretty noticeable difference at the bottom of the brushes in both the bulbous base and the groove.  The Style 1 also has a more pronounced ridge above the groove. 

So, did you know there was a difference?  Am I the only one that mistakenly thought the Stubby was just an improperly labeled Style 1?  Well, even if I was, hopefully this will help others that search for the answer in the future.

144 2,752
 05-03-2016, 08:06 AM
User Info
I've actually thought about the handle differences in the past. Of course the knots were different, but I too was fooled into thinking they may be the same handle.
It's almost like saying the differences between a Simpsons Classic vs Simpson Duke. Both have similar looking handles, but still unique in its way.

31 737
 05-03-2016, 03:47 PM
User Info
Style 1 guy here. Stubby is nice I just like the accents the style 1 offers.

60 1,532
 05-04-2016, 10:00 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
(05-03-2016, 08:06 AM)llalm Wrote: I've actually thought about the handle differences in the past. Of course the knots were different, but I too was fooled into thinking they may be the same handle.
It's almost like saying the differences between a Simpsons Classic vs Simpson Duke. Both have similar looking handles, but still unique in its way.
I always thought the Classic was like a mini-Chubby.  The Chubby 1 is borderline too small for my tastes so I haven't kept any of the Classics that I have owned (except an old Butterscotch version).  I think the Berkeley is the closest to the Duke.

(05-03-2016, 03:47 PM)ultra~nova Wrote: Style 1 guy here. Stubby is nice I just like the accents the style 1 offers.

I always thought the Style 1 was one of the most ergonomic handles, but I think now that I know the difference that the Stubby is in the same class.

144 2,752
 05-05-2016, 07:34 PM
  • Gary
User Info
Interesting post. I am learning a great deal!

0 10
 05-07-2016, 07:19 PM
  • grantmm
  • Friend of the Badgers
  • Draper, Utah
User Info
Did somebody say Stubby?

[Image: qya3t5J.jpg]

I like that the Stubby retains a larger bottom ring vs the xl series.

[Image: EYq8S4s.jpg]

10 757