07-25-2012, 03:24 AM
User Info
Inspired by a discussion here on The Shave Nook, I ordered two tubs of Mama Bear shaving soaps earlier this month - one Awakening and one Brazilian Coffee.

The soap is - as far as I can tell - built on a glycerin based melt-and-pour base. I'm not sure if Mama Bear buys the base or makes her own, but the result is pretty good either way; it lathers quickly, has good slip and cushioning, and don't leave my skin terribly dry. Judging by the sheer amount of lather it whips up, each tub should last me a long time.

As for the scent... a mixed bag indeed:
The Awakening has a strong scent of menthol and other goodies, and actually chilled my face quite well while I was shaving despite the fact that I used hot water to make the lather. My Better Half on the other hand though it smelled like Vicks Vapor Rub, so she wasn't too thrilled about it. I like it though, and that is what matters the most.
The Brazilian Coffee smells more or less like a cold cup of coffee while in the tub, but lathering it up makes the scent mellow quite a bit. If you're expecting the intoxicating scent of a freshly brewed cup you will be underwhelmed though. It's not a bad scent, just not great.

Overall I can recommend Mama Bear's soaps if you're in the market for a glycerin soap. For me, I think the two tubs I got is enough for the foreseeable future.

3 3,564
 07-25-2012, 03:53 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Thanks for the review!
The Brazilian Coffee sounds interesting.

I have a puck of her unscented and I was underwhelmed the first time I used it. I put it away after that but I am inspired to take it out and try again after your review. I think that I just didn't get the soap/water ratio right.

Thanks again!

6 905
 07-25-2012, 03:57 AM
User Info
I loaded heavily - just as heavily as I load when I use Col Conks, which is also a glycerin soaps. YMMV off course, and partly depends on how hard your water is.

3 3,564
 07-25-2012, 06:32 AM
User Info
Like Hans, I get great lather from the MB soaps. It is slick, thick and doesn't dry out my skin.

Some of the fragrances used are very strong.....too strong for my sensitive nose, so I passed those on. I have one MB soap in the den at the moment, and I like it a lot.

It's good stuff.

37 1,731
 07-25-2012, 07:22 AM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
I have the Awakenings soap which I find has great lather, a nice scent, and very strong menthol cooling. I also have the Lemon Ice soap which lathers just as well, and also smells very nice. The menthol effect is not as strong as the Awakenings, but it's still strong enough to be felt and enjoyed. I also have several other Mama Bear soaps which I like, but not as much as these 2.

3 2,562
 07-25-2012, 07:49 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I'm currently using a tub of MB "Sea Buckthorn Oil" I purchased a year or so ago (and had forgotten about). It performs well, but I prefer Mike's and MW...

91 17,830
 07-25-2012, 09:43 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I find that Mama Bears soaps dry out my skin way too much.
Smells great (the ones I have tried) but not what Im looking for on a soap when its time to take care of my skin.
Thanks for your thoughts/impressions about this soap.

86 7,123
 07-25-2012, 09:51 AM
User Info
thanks for sharing you review.

i have limited experience with MB soaps. I had to get rid of the two i had (coconut and ye old barbershop). the oils were too strong for my face/nose.

the coconut smelled great, but irritated my skin. the Ye Old Barbershop was very strong smelling and did not pass the "do you like this sniff test".

8 2,718
 07-25-2012, 11:13 AM
User Info
I have and enjoy her Aged Spice as my only glycerin based soap.
I like the scent (Old spice variant) and it works pretty well.

1 77
 07-25-2012, 07:07 PM
User Info
Thanks for the review, Hans.
Sue does make very good soap.

75 20,883
 07-27-2012, 11:09 AM
User Info
(07-25-2012, 03:53 AM)EHV Wrote: I have a puck of her unscented and I was underwhelmed the first time I used it. I put it away after that but I am inspired to take it out and try again after your review. I think that I just didn't get the soap/water ratio right.

Hey EHV (or anyone else who has tried the unscented), how did it go the second time around? I've never tried Mama's, but I'm always looking for new unscented soaps.

2 129
 10-15-2013, 06:03 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
I received a puck of MB Ye Olde Barbershoppe in a PIF. I had my second shave with it today. It easily generates an excellent lather and has a very nice scent. I have only used a couple of glycerin based soaps and was impressed. It was not as good as my Stirling soaps, but good none the less.

[Image: MamaBearLather_zpsae07652a.jpg]
[Image: MamaBearBarbershoppe2_zps3a7059aa.jpg]

4 2,378
 10-17-2013, 11:44 PM
User Info
I have not had good experiences with Mama Bear's. All of her soaps I tried burned me really bad. I was also sent wrong soaps in an order and then talked down to by the owner on a public forum when I posted my experience there. I cannot recommend.

1 283
 10-18-2013, 05:29 AM
User Info
I recently got some gift credit on Amazon and was looking for shaving items there when I saw certain Mama Bear soaps are available there now. I ordered a puck each of Ye Old Barbershop and Dublin Tweed. According to the tracking they should be delivered today.

10 2,062
 10-18-2013, 10:56 AM
User Info
(10-17-2013, 11:44 PM)regularfella Wrote: I have not had good experiences with Mama Bear's. All of her soaps I tried burned me really bad. I was also sent wrong soaps in an order and then talked down to by the owner on a public forum when I posted my experience there. I cannot recommend.

Sorry to hear about your experience. I think having a burning reaction to one of Sue's soaps is not that uncommon, but the service issue you mentioned certainly is. I've ordered a lot of stuff from Mama Bear and she's always been very kind.

1 1,104
 10-19-2013, 04:49 PM
User Info
After trying a half a dozen or so of the Mama Bear soaps, I have not been able to develop a liking for the glycerin based melt-and-pour base soaps (either tossed or PIF'd). Good service; pleasant scents...just not to my liking.

Ed

19 697
 10-19-2013, 05:54 PM
User Info
I liked the menthol in my Mandarin Ice puck but am glad to finish it up today. Lather not as durable unless I load longer than my custom and skin care not up to par for me.

47 1,270