07-25-2012, 06:40 AM
User Info
Earlier this year, I tried the "Veleiro" cream from Portugal and really liked it. So in ordering another tube to replace the first, I also picked up "Top Secret," which I believe is made by the same company. Anyway, "Top Secret" lathers like "Veleiro" and smells pretty much the same, although it has a mustier smell, but one thing that is different is that the cream is much harder than the other creams I have used, more like a soft soap. So it takes a while for it to dissipate, to the point where I often have little bits of it still broken apart at the bottom of the lather bowl (which I save for the next day).

So the question I have is the following: is "Top Secret" normally like this, or did I perhaps receive a tube that had been sitting on the shelf a bit too long?

0 67
 07-25-2012, 07:37 AM
User Info
Your tube has probably dried up. I'm working through a tube of old-formula Omega right now that has the same problem. What I do is I squeeze the cream into my lather bowl, add a few drops of water and mash it a bit with my index finger. Lathers a lot easier and doesn't leave that sticky residue around the bowl.

0 54
 07-25-2012, 07:46 AM
User Info
(07-25-2012, 06:40 AM)Alum of Potash Wrote: So the question I have is the following: is "Top Secret" normally like this, or did I perhaps receive a tube that had been sitting on the shelf a bit too long?

Yes, Top Secret is a little harder than Veleiro, and has a slightly tendency to harden up when exposed to the summer heat. Cool You can put it a little bit in the refrigerator, that should help a little - if not, put it in a bowl and use it like a soft soap.

I really like that cream - the scent is a mix of rose, woods and musk. Here's a good review of it. Smile

2 5,531
 07-25-2012, 08:43 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I just read here yesterday about Speick cream getting harder in the heat and now another one.

I have the Top Secret but haven't used it in the heat yet. When I was using it, it was the same consistency as my other creams. I'll have to use it soon and seen if it's hardened at all and if so, I'll check to see if cooling it off in the refrigerator helps to soften it.

Otherwise, a nice cream that took good care of my face.

6 905
 07-25-2012, 09:16 AM
User Info
Thanks guys. Yes, we've had quite a bit of summer heat here. Just tried the Veleiro cream to compare it, and it too had hardened (although not as hard as the Top Secret) compared to what I had in the spring in temperate France.

Interesting that it hardens in heat and softens in cooler temps. I would think it would be the other way. Think I'll try Oblique Human's suggestion to mash it up with a little water for starters, if only to avoid complicating matters further.

Great stuff though--both Top Secret and Veleiro!

0 67
 07-25-2012, 10:00 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I've never had that problem with creams. But then, I don't store them out side in the sun.Biggrin

173 23,533
 07-25-2012, 10:37 AM
User Info
Funny that you mention creams hardening in the hot weather. Last week I pulled out my tube of C.O. Bigelow and found it come out of the tube harder than I had ever seen it. I don't use this cream often, so wondered if it was aging.

Top Secret is very high on my "to try" list.

3 452
 07-25-2012, 07:09 PM
User Info
Oh, boy, all these Portuguese products. So very tempting.

75 20,883
 09-29-2012, 03:49 PM
User Info
With autumn settling in here in New England, we have returned to more temperate climes, and I have found that my beloved Top Secret and Veleiro creams have returned to a softer consistency. So it was the heat after all! Thanks for the advice folks gave me a couple of months back.

0 67