07-25-2012, 11:55 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Here's a fantastic shaving cream that is made by Pharmagis Ltd in Yeruham, Israel. MEM Shaving Cream. I used it for the first time today and this will not be the last time I use this product. I had a great shave and my skin felt great afterwards.

Here's the ingredients:

Stearic Acid, Water, Glycerin, Coconut Oil, Olive Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Sodium Hydroxide, Mineral Oil, Sodium Borate, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Gragrance, FD & C Yellow #6, FD & C Blue #1.

Ease of lathering: 10/10 - Wow, an explosion of rich lather so fast!

Longevity of lather: 10/10 - Perfect stability for multi-passes.

General skincare: 10/10 - Quite protective and comfortable. Has Olive Oil.

Scent: 10/10 - Brilliant - can't describe it, but I LOVE!

Price: $11.99 – From Joe at Shave A Buck.

Would I buy again: 10/10 - You bet!

Thanks Freddy for recommending this cream to me.

173 23,490
 07-25-2012, 12:07 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Thanks for sharing Johnny. This one will be put on my wish list.

45 3,955
 07-25-2012, 12:08 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(07-25-2012, 11:55 AM)Johnny Wrote: Price: $11.99 – From Joe at Shave A Buck.

Hi Johnny

Wow! perfect 10's across the board, I would definitely like to try it now that you've made me aware of it Smile

Do you have a link to share, as I'm currently not seeing it on Shave A Buck?

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 07-25-2012, 12:10 PM
User Info
Good review, Johnny. Not to hijack the thread, but if anyone is interested, I have a slightly used tube of this for sale here on the forum.

183 12,002
 07-25-2012, 12:10 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I think I might have purchased his last tube. I hope he will be bringing more in.

173 23,490
 07-25-2012, 12:23 PM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
Freddy had sent me some awhile back and I really enjoyed using it as well.

7 405
 07-25-2012, 12:31 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(07-25-2012, 12:10 PM)churchilllafemme Wrote: Good review, Johnny. Not to hijack the thread, but if anyone is interested, I have a slightly used tube of this for sale here on the forum.

Hi John

Please see here...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 07-25-2012, 12:58 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
MEM remains my favorite shaving cream and I truly believe it doesn't get enough mention. Unfortunately, it can sometimes be difficult to find at a reasonable price. There is an internet shop based in the U.S. that sells it for only $8.99 but then charges $10.98 to ship it domestically. That is just ridiculous.

Mike, if you get a tube, I'd love to know what you think of it.

2 11,211
 07-25-2012, 01:23 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(07-25-2012, 12:58 PM)freddy Wrote: Mike, if you get a tube, I'd love to know what you think of it.

Hi Freddy

Thanks to John I should have a tube in my greasy mitts in the not too distant future Smile

I will give it a try as soon as I'm finished with the Blind DE Blade Test (using the same shaving gear each day isn't too much fun #FirstWorldProblem).

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 07-25-2012, 01:48 PM
  • freddy
User Info
(07-25-2012, 01:23 PM)mikeperry Wrote:
(07-25-2012, 12:58 PM)freddy Wrote: Mike, if you get a tube, I'd love to know what you think of it.

Hi Freddy

Thanks to John I should have a tube in my greasy mitts in the not too distant future Smile

I will give it a try as soon as I'm finished with the Blind DE Blade Test (using the same shaving gear each day isn't too much fun #FirstWorldProblem).

Take care, Mike

Excellent. I'll be looking forward to both reviews.

2 11,211
 07-25-2012, 02:24 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Nice review Johnny. MEM is only available at several vendors
and is medium priced but with shipping can get up there.

100 12,437
 07-25-2012, 02:27 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(07-25-2012, 12:58 PM)freddy Wrote: MEM remains my favorite shaving cream and I truly believe it doesn't get enough mention. Unfortunately, it can sometimes be difficult to find at a reasonable price. There is an internet shop based in the U.S. that sells it for only $8.99 but then charges $10.98 to ship it domestically. That is just ridiculous.

I sent an email to this internet shop asking about their shipping cost ($10.39) to my zip code. Since they ship via UPS I asked if it could be sent via USPS and what the shipping cost would be. Here is a copy of the email I received from them.

Date: July 25, 2012 3:31:02 PM CDT
To: Johnny P <@charter.net>
Subject: Re: MEM Shaving Cream

We can ship it USPS and adjust down to $6.50 if it's under 1 lb and $8.90 if it goes into the 2 lb rate. But I can't tell you which that would be until the order is packed and weighed. Please order it online and I'll make that adjustment for you before we charge your card-- if you order under a different name be sure to email me your order # with this note.

Yes shipping has gotten really expensive. It's actual cost - not much we can do about that. But on larger orders, it becomes more affordable and over $100 we eat the cost and ship free.

--------
Linda Katz
Manager

http://www.israeliproducts.com
sales@israeliproducts.com

173 23,490
 07-25-2012, 04:41 PM
User Info
Yes Johnny, you got the last tube as it does not pay to stock it. This vendor does not ship USPS First Class. She does UPS only which is why the high cost. The product weighs less than 13oz so it should ship First Class and not Priority at a higher quoted cost you have been told.

We know these products cost less overseas, however there is a cost to importing it here. In addition myself and other board friendly vendors take the time to give you the lowest cost shipping fees as you can now see.

5 273
 07-25-2012, 05:00 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Joe, I understand. I believe you only charged me something like $2.43 in shipping USPS first class, and it only took a couple of day to get here.

If a board vendor does not stock it, I won't order anymore.

173 23,490
 07-25-2012, 05:29 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Wow Johnny what a favourable review, it's a shame it appears it will be difficult to replace...

91 17,798
 07-25-2012, 06:01 PM
User Info
A MEM thread wouldn't be a MEM thread without mention of the tube. I eventually squeezed mine out in an old Body Shop tub. The cap leaks but the cream doesn't ooze out too much, but then the metal tube cracked on me in a couple of spots. Needles to say, its one of the better creams out there. A very green olive scent with excellent performance as Johnny has pointed out. Thick lather with nice glide.

0 241
 07-25-2012, 07:11 PM
User Info
Very nice review, Johnny.

75 20,883
 07-25-2012, 08:49 PM
  • freddy
User Info
Joe hit the nail on the head about shipping. I wish it could be carried on a regular basis at a fair price by someone. While I don't need any right now, I will run out eventually and then what? Sad

Also, Gary's (Ecosse) post about problems with the tube can happen sometimes. I've had some tubes with those problems and others with no problem at all. I still like the cream enough to get it, even so.

2 11,211
 07-26-2012, 05:08 AM
User Info
(07-25-2012, 12:58 PM)freddy Wrote: MEM remains my favorite shaving cream and I truly believe it doesn't get enough mention. Unfortunately, it can sometimes be difficult to find at a reasonable price. There is an internet shop based in the U.S. that sells it for only $8.99 but then charges $10.98 to ship it domestically. That is just ridiculous.
Mike, if you get a tube, I'd love to know what you think of it.

I just bought 1 pound of unrefined shea butter for $8.49 from an online shop in Florida (Coastal Scents). Shipping FedEx to TN was $8.60. Holy crap.

9 1,199
 07-26-2012, 05:49 AM
User Info
Years ago there was more interest in items like Mem and others. And Mem is everything Johnny wrote, a great product and yes, there is a leaking issue and bad caps.

Now there are so many domestic products such as artisian soaps, Razorock is a great product and a hit, and of course Proraso. Many new shavers believe these products such as Mem are lesser than what is current so I was pleased to see a respected member like Johnny do a review like this. Hopefully we can spark some interest in different things which can lead to a more active board. And of course there is the cost issue on two fronts.

I offered Mem at a fair price given what I paid for it, then the Paypal vig which I pay in a transaction and shipping materials which the vendor supplies. There still is that mentality that these products cost XYZ overseas, why so much here.

That being said, if something is offered at a low price, it is looked at as a "Cheap" or garbage product by the masses. It is a tough and changed market out there as we have spoke about in the Mama Bear thread. If someone can offer it cheaply such as a mass import by sea voyage?, that would be great for all involved, yet there is a downside to that for a product these days.

Not to take away from the review, just a few points as I see it as a vendor.

5 273