05-07-2016, 05:21 PM
User Info
I have decided to withdraw this posting.  I shouldn't have posted it to begin with.  My apologies.

10 176
 05-07-2016, 05:33 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Roy, 
I am not so sure what you are describing is considered a flaw. A flaw by definition is a defect.

59 4,385
 05-07-2016, 05:54 PM
User Info
(05-07-2016, 05:33 PM)eengler Wrote: Roy, 
I am not so sure what you are describing is considered a flaw. A flaw by definition is a defect.
Would you like me to rephrase or retract my posting?  It is certainly an engineering oversight, which could easily be remedied in future renditions.  I'm surprised no one has yet noticed.  It does give me an outstanding shave, so I have no complaint with them there.  I am just pointing out what I noticed, that's all.  If you think I should change my wording in the interest of polity, I would certainly consider it.

Roy

10 176
 05-07-2016, 06:08 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
No need to rephrase or retract Roy.

59 4,385
 05-07-2016, 09:14 PM
User Info
I think it's by design. The underside of the cap and the top of the base plate are perfectly parallel with no blade in the razor. With a blade installed, the cap is angled back slightly. This ensures that the cap will press firmly against the blade as the handle is tightened, holding the blade securely in place. It also means that the front edge of the cap will not sit flush against the blade.

The cap could be machined to accommodate the thickness of the blade, except that the different blades have different thicknesses.

This also explains why the hole in the base plate for the handle screw stud is slotted rather than round - so as to accommodate different angles resulting from the use of different blades.

Disclaimer: I am not an engineer, nor have I had any contact with the designers of the Mongoose.

--Bob

0 185
 05-08-2016, 08:33 AM
User Info
This is not a flaw but a problem that doesn't exist. Paper does slide slightly inward on my Alumigoose 2 but has zero effect on the shave. The gap is even wider on my Maggard V3A head but again the shave is outstanding.

119 13,017