05-08-2016, 09:34 AM
User Info
Anyone have experience in making there own brushes i have been looking into this for a while now and have been looking around at different KNOTS and am curious if anyone has any recommendations of ware to purchase from.

0 11
 05-08-2016, 09:45 AM
User Info
(05-08-2016, 09:34 AM)Monaco1989 Wrote: Anyone have experience in making there own brushes i have been looking into this for a while now and have been looking around at different KNOTS and am curious if anyone has any recommendations of ware to purchase from.

Try the golden nib, shave revolution, or shavemac.

What type of hair are you looking at?

79 1,338
 05-08-2016, 09:50 AM
User Info
I've always liked the finest knots sold at The Golden Nib.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

84 1,505
 05-08-2016, 12:41 PM
User Info
You can also purchase great knots from #envyshave as well.

22 160
 05-08-2016, 12:44 PM
User Info
The Finest knots sold by The Golden Nib are very good and reasonably priced.  If you are willing to pay the higher price, Shavemac knots are excellent.

50 6,089
 05-08-2016, 12:45 PM
User Info
Envy Shave 'Envy White' are really nice.

The Golden Nib has a big selection and competitive pricing.

I've read about Virginia Sheng but never bought myself.

Shavemac too.

I also believe Wet Shave Products sells knots.

9 1,411
 05-08-2016, 01:18 PM
User Info
TGN Finest is good. I feel like I'm the only person who hasn't tried Envy Shave. I bought two knots from V. Sheng. One was good and one wasn't and they were both the same hair grade. Don't know that I'd buy more of them.

63 1,720
 05-08-2016, 02:40 PM
User Info
(05-08-2016, 01:18 PM)NSmalls Wrote: TGN Finest is good. I feel like I'm the only person who hasn't tried Envy Shave. I bought two knots from V. Sheng. One was good and one wasn't and they were both the same hair grade. Don't know that I'd buy more of them.

You're not the only one, Nick. Biggrin

83 21,077
 05-08-2016, 02:42 PM
User Info
(05-08-2016, 02:40 PM)celestino Wrote:
(05-08-2016, 01:18 PM)NSmalls Wrote: TGN Finest is good. I feel like I'm the only person who hasn't tried Envy Shave. I bought two knots from V. Sheng. One was good and one wasn't and they were both the same hair grade. Don't know that I'd buy more of them.

You're not the only one, Nick. Biggrin

Add me to the list that hasn't either

82 2,208
 05-08-2016, 03:41 PM
User Info
If anyone does go that route, with a knot from Envy, the Envy White two band knots are larger than a TGN listed the same size.

The first one I bought was 24mm for a Rubberset 400 clone. Should have fit according to the handle manufacturer. A couple TGN knots sold as 24mm did no problem.

The Envy White have smaller plugs which is how they're listed but they actually do need a significantly larger socket.

I ended up sending that knot to Doug Korn who made a beautiful handle for it. 

Just an FYI since they're not exactly cheap. While I feel they're worth the money, it is a bit confusing to get the right size. Especially if you're interested in a restore or something. 

The 24mm is more like a 26 or 27 where the hardest part of the knot is just above the plug. No way it would really work in a Rubberset 400 that you can't really enlarge easily.

9 1,411
 05-08-2016, 03:49 PM
User Info
(05-08-2016, 03:41 PM)bakerbarber Wrote: If anyone does go that route, with a knot from Envy, the Envy White two band knots are larger than a TGN listed the same size.

The first one I bought was 24mm for a Rubberset 400 clone. Should have fit according to the handle manufacturer. A couple TGN knots sold as 24mm did no problem.

The Envy White have smaller plugs which is how they're listed but they actually do need a significantly larger socket.

Just an FYI since they're not exactly cheap. While I feel they're worth the money, it is a bit confusing to get the right size. Especially if you're interested in a restore or something. 

The 24mm is more like a 26 or 27 where the hardest part of the knot is just above the plug. No way it would really work in a Rubberset 400 that you can't really enlarge easily.

Thank you for sharing that info with us Todd.

It's good to know for future buyers sizing knots.

82 2,208
 05-08-2016, 04:19 PM
User Info
I have not tried an envy knot either, I'm taking a break from two bands for a while actually.

60 1,530
 05-08-2016, 04:50 PM
User Info
Ok so ok so I just bought a 22mm white mountain badger knot from GoldenNib witch is there most expensive rated knot so I figured it would be the best quality but I choose it over the silver tip mostly because I heard it was denser. The knot it self was about $55 witch is a little more than I wanted to spend and was tempted to buy a whole brush but I enjoy small projects like this and to me it makes the item special to me but any way once I receive it I will post how the quality is, thanks for all the input.

0 11
 05-08-2016, 04:59 PM
User Info
Nice choice.
I'm not familiar with that knot in particular.

Looking forward to your pictures and review one day.

You're right. 
Some of my favorite brushes are the ones I made myself or restored. Adds to the satisfaction and enjoyment when I use them.

9 1,411
 05-08-2016, 05:22 PM
User Info
(05-08-2016, 03:49 PM)Skinny Rogers Wrote:
(05-08-2016, 03:41 PM)bakerbarber Wrote: If anyone does go that route, with a knot from Envy, the Envy White two band knots are larger than a TGN listed the same size.

Thank you for sharing that info with us Todd.

It's good to know for future buyers sizing knots.

No problem!
Hope maybe it saves someone one day from some frustration.

The listings for those knots do say so in the description. 
Sometimes I just have to learn the hard way for myself. Haha.

I just measured the brush Doug made for me by the way and the knot hole is 28mm across. It would probably fit in with a mm less but not easily. 

Figure at least 10% extra. The ones sold as 20mm are the same way. Got two of them and they're more like 23mm.

9 1,411
 05-10-2016, 08:24 AM
User Info
(05-08-2016, 09:34 AM)Monaco1989 Wrote: Anyone have experience in making there own brushes i have been looking into this for a while now and have been looking around at different KNOTS and am curious if anyone has any recommendations of ware to purchase from.

I've bought knots from TGN and on ebay from virginiasheng and ganvillage_green on Ebay.   Plenty of information about TGN around.  Good knots, I've tried their Finest and Silver tip and bot were very good.  

I've bought at least 25 - 30 knots now from Virgina Sheng.  I've tried the Premium Silver tips, 2 Band Finest and a few Boar knots.  Very satisfied with all of them.  Their larger Silver Tips can't be beat for price and the quality is outstanding.  I have a 30mm Silver tip installed in an Adoration handle that I restored that has the softest tips I've experienced while still having enough backbone to create a great lather.  I did have a problem with an order of Boars that got crushed in the mailing process.  I sent them a note and a few pictures and they replaced the two affected knots right away.  Shipping has been surprisingly fast, about 10 days to PA.  I find there knots on par to any that I received from TGN if that helps.

I just recently ordered from Ganvillage green on ebay and was impressed with their packaging.  I can't really tell anything about the quality yet as  I only ordered two 18mm  Best Badger knots and three 24mm  Boars.  The Boars seem good but the glue bump above the base is much larger than the base.  That seems typical for boars.  The badgers seem fine, I haven't installed or used them yet.  Shipping was a good bit slower from this vendor.

10 130
 05-10-2016, 08:29 AM
User Info
Another up for envy shave knots. I've got an envy white that I'm using now and another on the way. Very nice knots for the money in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

115 1,005
 05-12-2016, 02:29 AM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
Envy White 2-band. Some posters said they had trouble with the right size, but I don't see how since Nathan lists right on the buy page what size hole and how deep you should set it at. I've gotten three brushes and two knots and all were fantastic quality.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

74 1,510
 05-12-2016, 02:48 AM
User Info
Thanks for the great info, everyone!

0 30
 05-16-2016, 03:22 PM
User Info

I have one Virginia Sheng. It's very affordable, but unfortunately mine is a shedder. I'm going to use it again today in the hopes that the shedding has stopped but it's the third week now and I'm still seeing a few strands left on my face or soap.

11 1,169