07-25-2012, 02:38 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
I began DE shaving again about 4 months ago, and this time I did some research instead of winging it. I got a Merkur 34C and a tube of Proraso green shaving cream and after some practice I was getting great close shaves. Smile

The Proraso was almost gone so I got a jar of EJ SC, a puck of Trumpers lime SS and a bottle of Musgo Real PS oil. Couldn't wait to try them, so I washed my face, put on the PS oil and tried to lather up with the EJ SC. But unlike the Proraso I couldn't generate a protective, lubricating lather. Finally, I gave up and just started shaving. Big Misssssstake! There was blood everywhere. Angry

This morning I did what I should have done before using the products, I tried them out on my hand in various combinations. My conclusion was that the PS oil changes the properties of both the SC and SS. They actually have less lubrication and less cushioning than without the PS oil. Huh It seems as if the cream/soap collects the oil and hold it in suspension making both products useless.

Am I doing something wrong? If not, what's the point of PS oil? Help!

16 545
 07-25-2012, 02:41 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Some folks do, but I have never used a pre-shave oil. I can see if to much oil was used, it effecting the lather ability of the soap/cream.

The old saying oil and water don't mix comes to mind.

173 23,546
 07-25-2012, 02:45 PM
User Info
i always use a preshave as it works, but i've never really tried without one Confused

once i'm done my Floids and RR KL gel, i may try use using a face wash (currently using L'Oreal Magnetic Charcoal) and then jumping right in to the shave after that is rinsed off.

i find if i lather on top of the floids or RR, i have no issues with making the lather and/or how slick it is.

it works for me, and it ain't broke, so i'm not looking to fix it...but if i can skip a step, i will, so will try it in the future.

8 2,718
 07-25-2012, 02:48 PM
User Info
I'm another that never saw any benefit with a preshave oil, and in fact felt like it was a hindrance to my shave. However, there has to be something to it for a lot of people as it gets used quite often and many people even learn to make their own. Admittedly, I do have pretty oily skin, so perhaps even when just using a little it was still too much oil and really did hurt the lather properties.

I do still find it interesting how we can get a preshave soap to clean the face, soften the beard, and strip any oils from the hair, but then follow that up with adding a preshave oil. Makes you wonder how much we do that may be a result of something else in our routine.

31 7,914
 07-25-2012, 03:07 PM
User Info
Some of those oils are to be used without lather. Just work the oil in and shave.

0 372
 07-25-2012, 03:13 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
(07-25-2012, 02:48 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: I'm another that never saw any benefit with a preshave oil, and in fact felt like it was a hindrance to my shave. However, there has to be something to it for a lot of people as it gets used quite often and many people even learn to make their own. Admittedly, I do have pretty oily skin, so perhaps even when just using a little it was still too much oil and really did hurt the lather properties.

I do still find it interesting how we can get a preshave soap to clean the face, soften the beard, and strip any oils from the hair, but then follow that up with adding a preshave oil. Makes you wonder how much we do that may be a result of something else in our routine.

Thanks for mentioning oil skin. I too have very oily skin and that may be the problem. Oh well, anyone want a bottle of PS oil?Biggrin

16 545
 07-25-2012, 03:16 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
I have used Shave Secret which is a shave oil but could be used as a pre shave oil I guess. What this is all about is lubrication or how easy the razor slides on your face/neck.

100 12,445
 07-25-2012, 03:59 PM
User Info
if these preshavs soaps, oils, gels really help (i'm not debating if they do or not), would it not makes sense then to apply it between each pass, not just the initial pass?

why is it only necessary on the 1st pass, as that is generally all any of us are using them on.

8 2,718
 07-25-2012, 04:12 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
Going back to the nature of the shaver's skin (dry, normal, oily), for those who use PS oil, how would you describe your skin? Maybe that is the key variable? But I agree with Bruce, why not apply it between passes?

(07-25-2012, 03:07 PM)Williams Warrior Wrote: Some of those oils are to be used without lather. Just work the oil in and shave.

I don't think I could get away with just oil. I have a lot of scare tissue on my face and neck. This makes the surface very bumpy. I cut myself to ribbons when I combined the oil and cream. I want something more between my face and the blade than just oil. Although, I can imagine some might be able to do this.

16 545
 07-25-2012, 05:23 PM
User Info
(07-25-2012, 03:59 PM)Bruce Wrote: if these preshavs soaps, oils, gels really help (i'm not debating if they do or not), would it not makes sense then to apply it between each pass, not just the initial pass?

why is it only necessary on the 1st pass, as that is generally all any of us are using them on.

I've wondered this too. In my head the extra slip would be more important for the final pass & less necessary for the first.

31 7,914
 07-25-2012, 05:26 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I don't use pre shave oils or pre shave soaps. I found MRGLO irritated my skin. I just ensure I build a good lather...

91 17,855
 07-25-2012, 06:23 PM
User Info
I have tried PS oils, but don't use them now.

Honestly, I've found several great soaps and creams that make PS oils unnecessary. Sometimes you can do too much.

9 1,199
 07-25-2012, 06:32 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Proraso makes a very nice Pre shave that can also be used as an aftershave. If you like their cream you might like this. I always apply before shaving and let it sit on my face for around 3-5 minutes then I rinse it off and shave right after. You could also try just washing your face with either Muso Real's Lime Pre Shave soap or RazoRock's version (Which I prefer) right before you shave. You should always wash your face prior to shaving anyways and these two soap prep your face just like a pre shave oil would.

45 3,955
 07-25-2012, 07:08 PM
User Info
I tried a PSO once and I saw no benfit so quite that step.

In the winter I will take a bit of the soap/cream I'm going to use for shaving and wet my face with it before the hot towel, but that's it.

(07-25-2012, 06:23 PM)CyanideMetal Wrote: Honestly, I've found several great soaps and creams that make PS oils unnecessary. Sometimes you can do too much.

+1

32 6,309
 07-25-2012, 07:13 PM
User Info
(07-25-2012, 06:23 PM)CyanideMetal Wrote: I have tried PS oils, but don't use them now.

Honestly, I've found several great soaps and creams that make PS oils unnecessary. Sometimes you can do too much.

+1

75 20,883
 07-25-2012, 08:57 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I do use pre-shave oil and believe it helps my shave but I have normal skin, not too dry nor too oily. Also, I do not care for Ewdard Jager shave cream so do not know if that is a problem. If you have oily skin then a pre-shave may not be needed at all.

2 11,211
 07-25-2012, 11:42 PM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
another thought that I had was how much oil did you use. It doesn't take much from what I'm told.

I do know that if you used too much pre-shave oil it could actually kill the lather of your shaving soap.

7 405
 07-25-2012, 11:54 PM
  • Persius
  • On the learning curve
  • Reading, England
User Info
At the beginning of my foray into wet shaving, I tried pre-shave oil and pre-shave treatments, but in the end I junked all of them as I found that they gave no measurable improvement in results for me. Wash, lather up & shave. YMMV though.

(07-25-2012, 06:23 PM)CyanideMetal Wrote: Sometimes you can do too much.
+1

1 290
 07-26-2012, 03:22 PM
User Info
I also have found pre-shave treament doesn't do much for me. I prefer just shaving straight after a shower and a quick rinse with hot water.

0 140