05-08-2016, 04:17 PM
User Info
Hello, 

I'm enjoyed a recent tub of XPEC unscented but am not getting consistently excellent lather. Sometimes it's good, other times not so much. 

Would someone who has this nailed write up some fool-proof facelathering instructions to help me out? Either synthetic or badger brush are my preferences. 

Thank you! 

-ntr(nwu)

1 255
 05-08-2016, 07:18 PM
User Info
With synthetic, I load the brush dry until I get some soap on the brush. Add a few drops of water and then face lather
With badger, I soak the brush, shake out all the water. Then add a few drops to the brush, load up until I have a nice lather on the tips.. Then take it to face.
Hope this helps! Let us know how it goes. Good luck

18 788
 05-08-2016, 07:33 PM
User Info
(05-08-2016, 07:18 PM)snowman Wrote: With synthetic, I load the brush dry until I get some soap on the brush. Add a few drops of water and then face lather
With badger, I soak the brush, shake out all the water. Then add a few drops to the brush, load up until I have a nice lather on the tips.. Then take it to face.
Hope this helps! Let us know how it goes. Good luck

Thanks, Snowman! I will try a synthetic next time. Probably easier to dial in the ratios consistently that way. 

Regards, 

-ntr(nwu)

1 255
 05-08-2016, 07:34 PM
User Info
You are welcome. Hope it works. It's a bit easier with a synthetic. Good call to start with that and move onto badger

18 788
 05-08-2016, 07:36 PM
User Info
I think several methods would work, but one thing I noticed with the current XPEC formulation (compared to the last, and most other creams) is that it requires more water.  If you are face lathering, if it's not shiny / fairly smooth then I would recommend adding water (a few drops at a time).  If there is excess water / bubbles, etc than I would add more product.  After some practice you will start to be able to zone in on the sweet spot, and with XPEC get some amazing shaves.  Good luck!

192 1,588
 05-08-2016, 07:49 PM
User Info
(05-08-2016, 07:36 PM)waveflow Wrote: I think several methods would work, but one thing I noticed with the current XPEC formulation (compared to the last, and most other creams) is that it requires more water.  If you are face lathering, if it's not shiny / fairly smooth then I would recommend adding water (a few drops at a time).  If there is excess water / bubbles, etc than I would add more product.  After some practice you will start to be able to zone in on the sweet spot, and with XPEC get some amazing shaves.  Good luck!

Thanks, Dave. Probably not enough water.... XPEC has fooled me, though, because the lather can look nice and shiny pretty early on. It's not slick at that stage yet I think. 

-ntr(nwu)

1 255
 05-08-2016, 09:28 PM
User Info
(05-08-2016, 07:49 PM)ntr(nwu) Wrote:
(05-08-2016, 07:36 PM)waveflow Wrote: I think several methods would work, but one thing I noticed with the current XPEC formulation (compared to the last, and most other creams) is that it requires more water.  If you are face lathering, if it's not shiny / fairly smooth then I would recommend adding water (a few drops at a time).  If there is excess water / bubbles, etc than I would add more product.  After some practice you will start to be able to zone in on the sweet spot, and with XPEC get some amazing shaves.  Good luck!

Thanks, Dave. Probably not enough water.... XPEC has fooled me, though, because the lather can look nice and shiny pretty early on. It's not slick at that stage yet I think. 

-ntr(nwu)

No problem ... More water would be my first guess.  

I actually sold my first tub of the new XPEC before I realized that I needed more water.  Now I give it more and am so glad I bought a second tub!

192 1,588
 05-09-2016, 06:45 AM
User Info
I seem to spend a little extra time lathering on my face with the current unscented xpec.  if they had a scent that I enjoyed added to the unscented I use this would be world conquering cream.

76 1,331
 05-09-2016, 07:07 AM
User Info
I have the current XPEC scented and have never tried the old formula.  I face lather with badger hair and have never had an issue.  I always get a great lather but I do use distilled water.

0 253
 05-10-2016, 03:40 PM
User Info
Sorry to hear your problem. Xpec is thirsty as is Castle Forbes.

I do this.
Load the living life out of the brush.
Face lather adding drops of water until lather is 10/10

DONE !

24 6,021
 05-10-2016, 04:15 PM
User Info
Very interesting....I did try a synthetic with less loading and more water since I first posted. Lather was above average and better than my previous shave. 

-ntr(nwu)

1 255
 05-11-2016, 02:21 AM
User Info
+1 more water. Then more product. I too had initial issues with XPEC unscented.

36 913
 05-11-2016, 05:38 AM
User Info
It all comes with experience. Today when I hear people having trouble lathering Esbjerg and Xpec, I honestly first think it's a joke.
For me Xpec and Esbjerg is as easy to lather as Castle Forbes and Caties Bubbles.

I have ROCK HARD water.
But then I think about 5 years ago when I could not lather MWF and just have to conclude, you get better with experience.

24 6,021
 05-11-2016, 05:51 AM
User Info
Perfect lather is a combination of three things, product, water and air.  Dialing in their respective ratios is a good part of the fun for me in this hobby.  What qualifies as perfect lather varies greatly among us, and that is okay, no one method is THE one and only method.  Some people like their lather thin and airy while other like it thick and rich.  Whichever you prefer the key is being able to make the kind of lather you want from ANY product used. 
I am a big believer in using an adequate amount of product to begin with.  I find it is a whole lot easier to slowly incorporate more water until the lather reaches my liking than it is to add more soap or cream, but this is particularly true for creams.  Claus is right, you get better at it with time, but the key is to learn how much is enough product and then to patiently add water in small amounts while working the lather in a bowl, on your face or in your palm.  This simple principle is the basis of the lathering method I made a video about some time ago. To make marvelous lather you need a goodly amount of product and a good deal of water added slowly.  I am not trying to imply that the OP isn't doing this already, just my two cents that seem to apply to almost all lathering issues.

75 2,321
 05-11-2016, 09:42 AM
User Info
(05-11-2016, 05:51 AM)merkur man Wrote: Perfect lather is a combination of three things, product, water and air.  Dialing in their respective ratios is a good part of the fun for me in this hobby.  What qualifies as perfect lather varies greatly among us, and that is okay, no one method is THE one and only method.  Some people like their lather thin and airy while other like it thick and rich.  Whichever you prefer the key is being able to make the kind of lather you want from ANY product used. 
I am a big believer in using an adequate amount of product to begin with.  I find it is a whole lot easier to slowly incorporate more water until the lather reaches my liking than it is to add more soap or cream, but this is particularly true for creams.  Claus is right, you get better at it with time, but the key is to learn how much is enough product and then to patiently add water in small amounts while working the lather in a bowl, on your face or in your palm.  This simple principle is the basis of the lathering method I made a video about some time ago. To make marvelous lather you need a goodly amount of product and a good deal of water added slowly.  I am not trying to imply that the OP isn't doing this already, just my two cents that seem to apply to almost all lathering issues.

What he said! Smile

0 650
 05-12-2016, 08:56 AM
User Info
[Image: cs1ENYf.jpg]

Better luck today....maybe it was the touch of the master (recognize the brush, Nathan Biggrin?)

Actually I think my water softener wasn't doing its job the past couple of outings with XPEC. Also I was trying to make the Feather Pro Super work for me in the Mongoose B2. I'm pretty certain now I'm a Pro Guard kind of guy....

-ntr(nwu)

1 255
 05-12-2016, 01:51 PM
User Info
Looks like you've got it all figured out! Well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

75 2,321
 05-14-2016, 03:28 AM
  • DJL813
  • Darien, CT
User Info
I recently acquired a tub of XPEC (scented) from a TSN member and all is can say is WOW....cushiony, slick just a wonderful cream.  I've both bowl and face lathered with XPEC (both badger and boar) and as stated earlier, load the brush and add water a bit at a time.....never had any issues and always a consistent lather...as matter of fact...looking to purchase a tub of unscented if anyone has one to sell Smile

Happy shaving.

128 564