05-09-2016, 05:44 PM
User Info
I was one of the lucky few who were able to purchase a Cobra Classic over the weekend. Mine arrived today, shipping Priority even though I only selected the free standard shipping. So, since I normally shave in the evenings, I tried it out first thing tonight when I got home.

The quality on the razor seems very good. Areas that others have complained about, such as a area on the underside that seemed a bit unfinished (around the blade holder) I thought were fine with mine. A little rough there, but who really looks there? The locking lever locked tightly and the blade was held firmly in place. As long as I'm careful when opening and closing the blade, the lever that holds the blade in place shouldn't break. I hope and time will tell, but it looks good. The razor itself was bright and shiny, as promised, and is a fingerprint magnet, as promised. I like the heft and feel of the razor and the way it handles.

For my shave I prepped as normal (for me), which is different than most. I apply a light layer of oil, sometimes baby oil, lately a light coat of olive oil. Over this I put a very light coat of a clear shaving cream that comes in a tube, Alba. It comes in a variety of scents, don't remember what mine is, Mango I think. I bought it when I was grocery shopping in a Sprouts (inexpensive organic) near where I live, it's on Amazon also I think. I've shaved with just the Alba and it works reasonably well for when I'm in a hurry, althought it takes a little getting used to since it's a clear paste.  Over the Alba I apply my shaving cream/soap as normal, tonight I used XPEC. While my prep may seem a little overboard, the oil/Alba takes less than a minute to put on. Since I've been following this routine I really haven't had weepers and cuts, and blades/razors I didn't like in the past work reasonably well. Same with most of the soaps/creams I apply as the last layer.

I'd planned on buying a Cobra some time ago so I already had a few trial blades available. I was surprised to see when I unpacked the razor that they had included 20 Feather Professional Blades in the carton. Don't know if it was a mistake or if it was something I didn't notice when I ordered the razor. I decided to use a Captain Kai Mild and wasn't disappointed. I normally shave in three passes, but after two passes my face was feeling pretty smooth so I stopped. I don't need to have a perfect BBS every time, but this was close. Despite the blade's wide widith, I found the razor easy to maneuver around my face and it did a good job around my jawline and around the chin.

I'll keep shaving with the razor a couple of weeks and see what I think. I have several razors I like, and I'm not sure yet if I like this one better than the others. I'm in a hunt for a better razor than the ones I have, not another very good/great razor, which I'm pretty confident this one is.  I'll probably post again to either give the razor a ultimate thumbs up or thumbs down.

0 58
 05-09-2016, 06:55 PM
User Info
Congratulations!  I shaved with my Cobra this morning after having a 4 day growth.  I had a fantastic shave except for one small knick on my chin where I got a little careless.  I think the Mongoose has made me a better shaver and I definitely handle the Cobra better now after using the Mongoose so much.

I have only used Feather Pro's in mine and notice the first shave is awesome.  The next to shaves are more prone to weepers but I am getting better than shave 4 or 5 I start to get close smooth shaves again with little to no work. 

The only problem I have is I have to be careful with the Cobra as it will bite if I get careless.  The shaves are noticeably closer though and last longer for me.  It maneuvers so well.  I compare it as a rapier compared to the Mongoose's battle axe.

It was my first wet shaving razor and I found it very easy to use.  I will probably use it tomorrow morning as well. Smile 

Also they do come with 20 feather pro's. 

I wish you luck with the razor and hope you do attain a level of shave above all of your other razors with it.

1 161
 05-09-2016, 06:56 PM
  • DJL813
  • Darien, CT
User Info
Enjoy.....my King Cobra arrived this afternoon and I'll be giving it a test drive in the morning. The 20 Feaher Pro blades were part of the package. Will say, at first blush I'm not a fan of the QC...compared to my Mongoose SS and Alumigoose....the machining seems a bit inferior and the latch holding the blade in place a bit flimsy...lets see how it shaves.

123 533
 05-09-2016, 07:01 PM
User Info
(05-09-2016, 06:56 PM)DJL813 Wrote: Enjoy.....my King Cobra arrived this afternoon and I'll be giving it a test drive in the morning. The 20 Feaher Pro blades were part of the package. Will say, at first blush I'm not a fan of the QC...compared to my Mongoose SS and Alumigoose....the machining seems a bit inferior and the latch holding the blade in place a bit flimsy...lets see how it shaves.

Definitely not the same build quality as the Mongoose Stainless Steel.  I think the Cobra is molded and the Mongoose is machined?  If a Cobra classic came on the market with the Mongoose's build quality I would definitely buy it.

1 161
 05-09-2016, 07:07 PM
  • DJL813
  • Darien, CT
User Info
thanks for the clarification as it relates to machine vs molded....i also pre-ordered the ATT SE which should arrive at the end of the month.....if the build quality and shave is anything like my other ATT DE razors..it should be a home run.

123 533
 05-09-2016, 07:10 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(05-09-2016, 07:01 PM)White Tuna Wrote:
(05-09-2016, 06:56 PM)DJL813 Wrote: Enjoy.....my King Cobra arrived this afternoon and I'll be giving it a test drive in the morning. The 20 Feaher Pro blades were part of the package. Will say, at first blush I'm not a fan of the QC...compared to my Mongoose SS and Alumigoose....the machining seems a bit inferior and the latch holding the blade in place a bit flimsy...lets see how it shaves.

Definitely not the same build quality as the Mongoose Stainless Steel.  I think the Cobra is molded and the Mongoose is machined?  If a Cobra classic came on the market with the Mongoose's build quality I would definitely buy it.

I'm hoping that Asylum Rx will do just that.

102 18,552
 05-10-2016, 04:04 AM
User Info
(05-09-2016, 07:10 PM)Agravic Wrote:
(05-09-2016, 07:01 PM)White Tuna Wrote:

I'm hoping that Asylum Rx will do just that.

The Asylum Rx ... afraid I missed out on that one. The only info I've turned up is Bullgoose offering a discount on the blades. What does it look like/where will it be available? Any specifics?
thx

0 58
 05-10-2016, 04:24 AM
  • ncguy1
  • TARHEEL
  • North Carolina
User Info
(05-10-2016, 04:04 AM)sapidus Wrote: The Asylum Rx ... afraid I missed out on that one. The only info I've turned up is Bullgoose offering a discount on the blades. What does it look like/where will it be available? Any specifics?
thx

You haven't missed out....It's not out yet.   http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=40318

18 260
 05-10-2016, 04:58 AM
  • DJL813
  • Darien, CT
User Info

Update:  I used the King Cobra / Feather Pro combo this morning and I LOVE IT!!!! Enjoy the feel of the handle in my hand...the balance, size, weight are all positive....I really like the slim head and combined with the Feather Pro, just glides over my face and thru my whiskers.  Since I also own the Alumigoose and pre-ordered the ATT SE...decided to sell my Mongoose SS...oh well, there's just so much space in the shave den Smile  

Happy shaving!

123 533
 05-10-2016, 05:08 AM
User Info

Gents I am fairly new to wet shaving. Bought meant Oneblade last month. Enjoying my shaves.

I am thinking of getting one more SE razor for myself.

These brands are unheard of by me and need your inputs please.

What should be my next buy? Please do me a small favor by mentioning Compatible blades and source to buy from?

I have a sensitive skin but love BBS and would prefer a superior razor to do the job.

1 708
 05-20-2016, 05:08 PM
User Info
I've been shaving with the Cobra Classic for about 10 days now and have tried both the Capitain Titan Mild and the Feather Professional Pro blades I got from TryaBlade awhile ago. So far the razor has given me good shaves but not the best shave I've ever had, which is what I was hoping for. I also suspect the razor may be a little too aggressive for my skin as it's not as comfortable as some of the other razors I've owned. To each their own, I suppose. I know others use this razor and love it. I'll probably shave with it for awhile longer then move it to another owner. Beautiful razor, but not right for me I'm afraid.

0 58
 05-23-2016, 05:26 PM
User Info
(05-20-2016, 05:08 PM)sapidus Wrote: I've been shaving with the Cobra Classic for about 10 days now and have tried both the Capitain Titan Mild and the Feather Professional Pro blades I got from TryaBlade awhile ago. So far the razor has given me good shaves but not the best shave I've ever had, which is what I was hoping for. I also suspect the razor may be a little too aggressive for my skin as it's not as comfortable as some of the other razors I've owned. To each their own, I suppose. I know others use this razor and love it. I'll probably shave with it for awhile longer then move it to another owner. Beautiful razor, but not right for me I'm afraid.

The Cobra Classic was my first razor and I learned on it. I would have some great shaves with it but I would also have some bloody days as well.

I found first shave with new blade to be great and if I was careful blood free.

Shave 2 & 3 were more challenging. 

Shaves 4-5 plus were great.

If I get a bad shave I would have to put it away for a few days to a week and try again as it would reopen old wounds.

I picked up a Mongoose and used it with Feather Pro's for a few months.  It was very mild to me.

Then I moved from the Mongoose with Feather Pro's to Feather Super's and the shaves were much more aggressive.  Very happy with that combo.

I then went back to Cobra and I notice that I shave a lot better with it now after using the Mongoose for a while.  I rarely get weepers, I get very close shaves and I really enjoy the razor. 

The only reason I mention this is that I think that the Cobra can be a tricky razor but may be worth it.  Of course YMMV.  I wish you the best of luck.

1 161
 05-23-2016, 06:30 PM
User Info
I'm finding I slightly prefer the King Cobra to the Cobra Classic a bit. Actually expected the opposite.

Star-wars-smiley-023

They're both still under review and only time will tell which one goes. It's much to close still to say which is better for me.

7 1,314
 05-23-2016, 07:10 PM
User Info

Where does one buy it from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 708