05-10-2016, 06:59 AM
User Info
I keep seeing post from people selling or trading a cream or soap where they list that have only taken a small amount to do a test lather or test the lathered scent or something along those lines.  I guess what I am wondering is why do a test lather?  Why not just go ahead and lather on up put razor to face and get something out of it instead of wasting it.?

Just Curious

8 147
 05-10-2016, 07:13 AM
User Info
Sometimes you just can't wait til the next shave, while others "test" slickness, the water/product ratio to get a shaving-worthy lather, check the amount of water a lather can absorb and remain shave-worthy/ not become a runny mess, and lastly scent.  I usually do the former, except when trying a product with a poor reputation like Institute Karite SC.  The Karite was a good shaving cream without the typical voluminous lather, possibly due to the amount of Shea Butter in the product... great post-shave feel on my face.

1 181
 05-11-2016, 05:39 AM
User Info
I never do test lathers.   When I get a new soap I just shave with it the next day.  But doing test lathers is just a personal preference for some.

50 6,073
 05-11-2016, 05:59 AM
User Info
In my case it's lack of patience... if I get a new soap, I need to give it a go right away. Also helps me dial in how much water it needs for the first 'real' lather, but that's secondary Smile

3 4,486
 05-11-2016, 06:37 AM
User Info
I test lather to figure out which brush, razor and aftershave/EDT would best suit the soap. I find with some soaps the fragrance develops as the lather is built. Also to check if the soap causes any irritation.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

0 847
 05-11-2016, 07:19 AM
User Info
(05-11-2016, 06:37 AM)Nishy Wrote: I test lather to figure out which brush, razor and aftershave/EDT would best suit the soap. I find with some soaps the fragrance develops as the lather is built. Also to check if the soap causes any irritation.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

+1 ever since I tried Cella and my face lit up, I have to test any soap with almond oil in it. Fortunately many artisans seem to be dropping almond oil from their products!

16 1,027
 05-13-2016, 09:58 AM
User Info
After lathering literally hundreds of soaps you can tell what your working with very quickly. When purchasing something that cannot be tried or demonstrated before purchase , I'm really out of curiousity just taking a look at what this product has to offer. If I see something I like I hang on to it. If a product does not impress me I pass it along to fund other purchases that interest me. I have no desire to collect software and little desire to collect hardware (at times I have a small modest collection).

60 1,518