05-10-2016, 10:45 AM
User Info
I was unable to find a thread that addressed different metals and performance.  Case in point.  I have a Bronze ATT and enjoy it with the R1 baseplate.  Would I feel or see a difference in my shave if I used a Solid Bar ATT R1 in their brushed SS finish?  The only variable would be a different metal.  In this case, Bronze and Stainless.  Thanks for the help.

6 199
 05-10-2016, 11:15 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
If you believe in the benefits of copper bracelets for arthritis bronze may be beneficial. Aside from that the only difference would be weight, which in a razor is nil. The cosmetic appearance may have a emotional impact on your shaving chakras. If bronze makes you feel warm and fuzzy and brushed steel cold use bronze Tongue

2 3,171
 05-10-2016, 01:28 PM
User Info
Bronze is slightly heavier than stainless steel.  Other than that, I can't imagine there would be any appreciable difference.

2 1,552
 05-10-2016, 01:29 PM
User Info
(05-10-2016, 11:15 AM)kav Wrote: If you believe in the benefits of copper bracelets for arthritis bronze may be beneficial. Aside from that the only difference would be weight, which in a razor is nil. The cosmetic appearance may have a emotional impact on your shaving chakras. If bronze makes you feel warm and fuzzy and brushed steel cold use bronze Tongue

I am looking for justification to purchase another razor, but your logic is forcing me to reconsider my purchase.  Those purchasing every iteration of a razor such as a Wolfman SB are only doing it for aesthetics?  I hope you're wrong, but I fear that you are right.

6 199
 05-10-2016, 03:06 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
When did logic ever play a substantive role in buying shaving kit? If you are not threatening a child's college fund, living on Top Ramen or stealing from the Sunday Services donation basket buy the damned razor.

2 3,171
 05-10-2016, 03:12 PM
User Info
(05-10-2016, 03:06 PM)kav Wrote: When did logic ever play a substantive role in buying shaving kit? If you are not threatening a child's college fund, living on Top Ramen or stealing from the Sunday Services donation basket buy the damned razor.

Well said.  I will be buying more razors because I can.

6 199
 05-10-2016, 07:11 PM
User Info
(05-10-2016, 03:12 PM)Never2Close Wrote:
(05-10-2016, 03:06 PM)kav Wrote: When did logic ever play a substantive role in buying shaving kit? If you are not threatening a child's college fund, living on Top Ramen or stealing from the Sunday Services donation basket buy the damned razor.

Well said.  I will be buying more razors because I can.

+1 Thumbup

83 21,113
 05-11-2016, 09:23 AM
User Info
(05-10-2016, 01:28 PM)kingfisher Wrote: Bronze is slightly heavier than stainless steel.  Other than that, I can't imagine there would be any appreciable difference.

My thinking is along the same lines.

13 100
 05-11-2016, 02:23 PM
User Info
I thought there might be a difference in the way a razor performs based on weight.  I try to have variety in my collection that focuses on more than aesthetics.

6 199
 05-11-2016, 02:30 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
The first iron tools were sourced from rare meteorites before people figured out smelting iron ore. I recall there is a knife smith  who acquired
a supply and will forge a knife from it. Now that would be the ultimate one up razor ( polishing up my Merkur Slant. Love the one your with).

2 3,171
 05-11-2016, 02:48 PM
  • HUF
  • Massachusetts
User Info
The factor of the weight of a razor is overrated, IMHO. The geometry of the razor is more important for me.

1 90
 05-16-2016, 11:44 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Different metals exhibit differences in their coefficient of friction.

A low coefficient of friction is desirable as there is less drag or resistance.

DLC (or Diamond Like Coating) for example has been employed on razors not just for its micro hardness, but also for its low coefficient of friction.

While Titanium, for example, has a lower coefficient of friction compared to High Carbon Steel, the glide differences are perhaps more mathematical than functional.

Brushed finishes are likely to have more discernible drag and a black oxide finish definitely provides a very discernible difference. 

The Blackbird in black oxide for example provides very significant drag and hence a very different experience, but still exhibits the same efficiency as the Polished finish version.

I also have multiple examples of the Cobra Classic in various finishes (Nickel, Gold, Rose Gold and Black Crome) and noticed a small difference in glide, mainly between Nickel and Gold.

However, when considering metal choice, there are two very real differences - aesthetics and weight.

While the visual appeal of various metals is dependant on personal preference, weight is specific to each metal and translates in to a very real functional difference.

I also have Wolfman razors in various materials (Aluminium, Titanium, Bronze and Stainless Steel) and the weight differences are extreme. Each razor requires an augmented approach to use based on their differences in weight.

Some have argued above that weight has no impact, I strongly disagree. Just as handle choice impacts on weight and balance so does the choice of material.

IMO material has little impact on the effectiveness of the razor (that's dependant on design), the difference in balance, finish and weight can however impact  discernibly on comfort, glide and overall enjoyment.

99 18,011
 05-17-2016, 02:55 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(05-11-2016, 02:30 PM)kav Wrote: The first iron tools were sourced from rare meteorites before people figured out smelting iron ore. I recall there is a knife smith  who acquired
a supply and will forge a knife from it. Now that would be the ultimate one up razor ( polishing up my Merkur Slant. Love the one your with).

Well, my DE razor is made from synthetic meteorite; it is a post-ultimate one up creation.  Eat your heart out!    Tongue

1 1,110
 05-17-2016, 04:26 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info

LOL! Well said.

2 1,695
 05-17-2016, 04:30 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
I have not really noticed a difference in the results of a shave from weight, but what I do notice is a difference in balance or feel in the hand, which works for me. I like using different handles with the same head. Different weights, thickness, length, etc. To me, not just aesthetics, but feel as well.

2 1,695
 05-17-2016, 05:55 PM
User Info
I may be thread jacking my own thread, but here goes.  ben74 raised an interesting point about drag and different metals.  Specifically, he talks about the increased drag with the Blackbird in the black oxide finish.  Any feedback from those that have tried the Blackbird in the BO compared to its' other available finishes?  Notice more drag with the BO?  I am asking because I have ordered a Blackbird with the Black Oxide finish.  Thanks.

6 199
 05-17-2016, 06:01 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(05-17-2016, 05:55 PM)Never2Close Wrote: I may be thread jacking my own thread, but here goes.  ben74 raised an interesting point about drag and different metals.  Specifically, he talks about the increased drag with the Blackbird in the black oxide finish.  Any feedback from those that have tried the Blackbird in the BO compared to its' other available finishes?  Notice more drag with the BO?  I am asking because I have ordered a Blackbird with the Black Oxide finish.  Thanks.

I've used both the Black Oxide and the Polished BlackBirds and there definitely is a difference, but it does not impact on performance.

I currently prefer the Polished, but only because it has the tamed base plate edges. The next batch of Blackbird razors will all feature the tamed base plate edges and I will definitely re-purchase this version with the Black Oxide finish. I like the finish aesthetically and the drag provides a different experience, but not at the expense of performance.

99 18,011
 05-17-2016, 07:46 PM
User Info
(05-17-2016, 06:01 PM)ben74 Wrote:
(05-17-2016, 05:55 PM)Never2Close Wrote: I may be thread jacking my own thread, but here goes.  ben74 raised an interesting point about drag and different metals.  Specifically, he talks about the increased drag with the Blackbird in the black oxide finish.  Any feedback from those that have tried the Blackbird in the BO compared to its' other available finishes?  Notice more drag with the BO?  I am asking because I have ordered a Blackbird with the Black Oxide finish.  Thanks.

I've used both the Black Oxide and the Polished BlackBirds and there definitely is a difference, but it does not impact on performance.

I currently prefer the Polished, but only because it has the tamed base plate edges. The next batch of Blackbird razors will all feature the tamed base plate edges and I will definitely re-purchase this version with the Black Oxide finish. I like the finish aesthetically and the drag provides a different experience, but not at the expense of performance.

Thank you for your insight.

6 199
 05-17-2016, 08:01 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Without trying to derail the thread, the Blackbird is truly an excellent razor. However, the sharp base plate edges caused great concern for some users. With that issue now addressed I'm sure many more shavers will now adopt a Blackbird into their rotation. The different finishes available for the Blackbird primarily provide an aesthetic alternative, however, the Black Oxide finish provides noticeable drag and hence a different experience. I felt the polished danced effortlessly across my face, while the Black Oxide moved more slowly. The finish provides what I can only describe as drag. It's not a friction or resistance, its not a tugging or pulling, but each stroke feels slower providing almost a more concentrated movement. The experience and end result are in no way compromised, it just feels different when moving across the face. Remember, its software that provides cushion and lubrication when shaving. I love the visual aspect and hence a Black Oxide version 2 will join my polished (and tamed) version 1.

99 18,011