05-11-2016, 04:03 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
I absolutely adore my vintage English Fern products, but re-stocking is nearly impossible.  What is your choice for a soap/cream and aftershave that most approximates the English Fern scent?  I've tried Fougere products from LASS, Valobra, B&M, Stone Cottage, SV, MdC and some others.  So far, the best approximation (to me) is the MdC and Stone Cottage.  While these are all very nice products, they do not really come close to the beloved EF.  Perhaps you have tried one that I am missing?  Maybe Al's "Fougere about it"?  Anyone ever try spraying EF EdT into unscented cream?  Perhaps I should try it....

168 1,384
 05-11-2016, 05:11 AM
User Info
Pen's EF is a lot different than other fougeres I've tried. It's much more earthy than bright than others I've tried (I'm thinking specifically of B&M both versions and MdC). The key scent ingredient for that earthiness is oakmoss and that is the rub with EF since the EU all but banned oakmoss as an ingredient since it is a potential allergen. That's why EF wasn't reformulated when they reformulated Blenheim Bouquet and introduced Sartorial. That's why EF has essentially disappeared from their shaving soaps, bath soaps, etc.

The one soap that I think comes the closest is actually Musgo Real's shaving soap. It's so close a match to my nose that I actually think whoever made the soap for Pen's then rebranded the extra stock as MR with the then impending EU ban.

Oakmoss has not been banned in the US as of it so I would look for oakmoss as a primary scent in any soaps or creams you're looking at. I wouldn't spray EF EdT into a cream though. It would dissipate too quickly and be a waste of fragrance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

84 1,505
 05-11-2016, 05:52 AM
User Info
Musgo Real huh?

Interesting...

I never got a chance to try Pen's soaps before they reformulated. Always wondered about that English Fern but wasn't willing to buy it at the prices I've seen recently.

9 1,410
 05-11-2016, 06:03 AM
User Info
(05-11-2016, 05:52 AM)bakerbarber Wrote: Musgo Real huh?

Yeah, its weird. It doesn't smell anything like Musgo Real's cream; that is more of a vetiver. The big problem is that the soap is not that great. I was able to get a workable lather from it, but it wasn't anything to write home about (not that I'm writing home about shaving soaps!). It even looks like EF, with that dull moss green hue.

84 1,505
 05-11-2016, 07:32 AM
  • ddk13
  • USA
User Info
I have Ginger's Garden Fern aftershave.  It's a very very close match to Pen's.  About as close as you can get, and I've tried several of the "Ferns" that you mentioned.  She should also have a Fern soap available.

44 618
 05-11-2016, 08:18 AM
User Info
Which B&M did you have? I had Imperial and would swear it was very close to EF. Unfortunately my B&M is gone and I just recently got EF, so I never had the chance to sniff side by side.

55 923
 05-11-2016, 08:18 AM
User Info
I think DR Harris Sandalwood cream is very similar.

160 1,037
 05-11-2016, 03:55 PM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
I agree that there really isn't any other soap scent like English Fern.
I have used the Stone Cottage (as you know, Ron Smile ), Valobra Fougere, MdC Fougere, B&M (both white label Fougeres), DRH Sandalwood, and Al's Fougere About It.
Long story short none of them is a replacement of the English Fern scent.
Since you asked, Al's Fougere About It is really NOT like English Fern. It is very vetiver heavy, but not green, clovery, nor mossy.
Have not used the Musgo Real, but performance-wise it sounds like a miss (per Josh, above), so I probably won't.

59 2,813
 05-11-2016, 04:37 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
Forgot to say, I believe the 'original' scent of SdM is a Fougere, and I have a sample of that on the way. Can give my impressions this weekend when it arrives. I'm sure others will beat me to it.
I don't recall ever hearing it is similar to EF though.

59 2,813
 05-12-2016, 10:20 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
I suppose you could take one of the old tallow AoS unscented pucks, grate it into a jar, douse it with a teaspoon (or 2) of Pen's EF EdT and mix it up then mash it down. 
Job done! Biggrin

47 1,924
 05-12-2016, 12:53 PM
User Info
I love the Pens EF so much I have literally used SdM which to my nose is almost scent less , I spray two pumps atop the puck, let it soak while showering then load my brush and go to the face.. It's amazing..!!

20 1,336
 05-12-2016, 01:04 PM
User Info
LPL Fougére Cologne,  This is not far away for my nose.

8 1,683
 05-14-2016, 07:59 AM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
Received the original SdM yesterday and used it for this morning's shave… which was excellent.

As for scent, it really has the "barbershop" fougere scent (darker moss, powdery hue… kinda damp… better used on cloudier days… more in the vein of Musgo Real (original scent) or Figaro (Bulgarian cream) than it is with Pen's EF)… a dark green scent, whereas English Fern is more of an "outdoors" fougere scent (brighter and livelier green… very fresh… better used on sunnier days).

59 2,813
 05-14-2016, 12:08 PM
User Info
(05-11-2016, 03:55 PM)Nero Wrote: I agree that there really isn't any other soap scent like English Fern.
I have used the Stone Cottage (as you know, Ron Smile ), Valobra Fougere, MdC Fougere, B&M (both white label Fougeres), DRH Sandalwood, and Al's Fougere About It.
Since you asked, Al's Fougere About It is really NOT like English Fern. It is very vetiver heavy, but not green, clovery, nor mossy.
Have not used the Musgo Real, but performance-wise it sounds like a miss (per Josh, above), so I probably won't.

I own the new reformulation of the Musgo Real hard shaving soap and to me it does smell similar to the Musgo Real cream and bathing soap.

And by the way, while it's not a top top performer, I get a great lather from mine.

The Musgo Real creams are better performers, but the hard soap is now no slouch........

24 5,965
 05-14-2016, 07:41 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
(05-14-2016, 12:08 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(05-11-2016, 03:55 PM)Nero Wrote: I agree that there really isn't any other soap scent like English Fern.

I own the new reformulation of the Musgo Real hard shaving soap and to me it does smell similar to the Musgo Real cream and bathing soap.

And by the way, while it's not a top top performer, I get a great lather from mine.

The Musgo Real creams are better performers, but the hard soap is now no slouch........

Thanks Claus! Now that you say it, I think I do recall hearing of a reformulation. Good to know it is better.

59 2,813
 05-15-2016, 04:32 AM
User Info
(05-14-2016, 12:08 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: I own the new reformulation of the Musgo Real hard shaving soap and to me it does smell similar to the Musgo Real cream and bathing soap.

When did they reformulate? I had a puck from its initial release which informed my opinion of it being close to EF. One of the reasons ironically enough of why I didn't like it is because it didn't smell like the MR cream. If they reformulated it to be closer to the cream scent then maybe I'll have to buy it again.

84 1,505
 05-15-2016, 06:33 AM
User Info
I thought LASSCo's Topanga Fougere was pretty close to Pen's EF.

23 656
 05-15-2016, 06:46 AM
  • ddk13
  • USA
User Info
I'm wearing my English Fern right now and sniffing my Ginger's Garden Fougere Fern and they are extremely close.

44 618
 05-15-2016, 09:31 AM
User Info
(05-15-2016, 04:32 AM)jpakstis Wrote:
(05-14-2016, 12:08 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: I own the new reformulation of the Musgo Real hard shaving soap and to me it does smell similar to the Musgo Real cream and bathing soap.

When did they reformulate? I had a puck from its initial release which informed my opinion of it being close to EF. One of the reasons ironically enough of why I didn't like it is because it didn't smell like the MR cream. If they reformulated it to be closer to the cream scent then maybe I'll have to buy it again.

Not sure, 2-3 years ago ??

24 5,965
 05-15-2016, 09:36 AM
User Info
(05-15-2016, 06:33 AM)Starkicker Wrote: I thought LASSCo's Topanga Fougere was pretty close to Pen's EF.

I don't think so.  Both are nice scents, though.  To me, the EF is brighter and more refined.  The LASS is a rough-hewn, complex scent that I think is really wonderful.

2 1,459