05-11-2016, 02:04 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I was twirling my brush over my Brutalt Bra like a ballerina in Swan Lake and thought ' where does the word Spruce come from'?
It is a 14th century variation of  'Pruce' which itself is a shortened form of 'Prussia' the old German Baltic state. Trade goods,
especially fir trees and leather were called Spruce Goods. Spruce later evolved into a adjective meaning to wear fine clothing
and eventually in the US to clean thing up and the name of that lovely tree.
Now you know. I love the forest scent as I 'Spruce Up' and continue to be enchanted with this soap. buy it now. I intend to do serious
clearcutting of our own Sprucegoose's shelf.

2 3,171
 05-11-2016, 03:09 PM
User Info
Sprucegoose. Yeah, that works. (What's Howard Hughes gonna do, sue you?)

29 1,776
 05-11-2016, 03:44 PM
  • Nero
  • Saving Through Spending More
  • le montagne
User Info
I ordered her up yesterday. Looking forward to checking it out. I am a big fan of evergreen/forest scents.

57 2,539
 05-11-2016, 04:32 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
My Godmother Jane Russell told me Hughes was a very charming man and his later mental problems a result of so many aircraft crashes and pain medication. She had very choice words about Leonardo. Another neighbor was an engineer on the seaplane. Hughes never intended the plane to lift off. It was supposed to be a taxi run only. He 'discovered' the phenomenon of large aircraft lifting off  without pilot control and it scared Hughes. He was a good enough pilot to regain control and land it. The real success was the revolutionary control system; the father of all modern
systems on large airframes.
We may like Sprucegoose. How Phil reacts will be revealed if my next order are pucks or woodchips Shok

2 3,171
 05-11-2016, 05:18 PM
User Info
Hughes hated the name, actually coined by the newspapers covering the story (even though it was birch). I'm sure Phil will appreciate the clever turn of phrase.

29 1,776
 05-11-2016, 05:30 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Interesting info re Spruce, kav.

102 18,548
 05-15-2016, 09:08 AM
User Info
I haven't had the pleasure of trying this soap. What reports do we have regarding lather and performance, especially slickness and cushion?

24 1,208
 05-15-2016, 09:17 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
'We' and I am not using the Imperial, LIKE IT!

2 3,171
 05-15-2016, 09:33 AM
User Info
That was my first impression! I should follow good advice and go buy some.

24 1,208
 05-15-2016, 11:12 AM
User Info
Got my Brutalt Bra soaps a few days ago via Bullgoose.  I have since shaved with both, the Norwegian Woods and its unscented version.  I was eager to experience how a four-ingredient-only soap can perform, so I paid the relatively high cost and bought them (I also have this thing for juniper and fern-type of scents).  I was also keen to sampling another soap from Norway, as my acquaintance with other Norwegian soap-makers' products has, to this day, proven highly satisfactory.

Impressive soaps overall, providing an above-average performance; thick lather, very slick glide, but with an OK post-shave feel.  The spruce-scented soap, my favorite of the two, exudes a very pleasant fern-type of aroma, redolent of Captain's Choice North aftershave, but more subtle, lingering throughout the shave.  Needless to say, the two products complement each other.  

Norwegian Woods' packaging is perfect, but the same cannot be said of its counterpart, as the container of the unscented version of the soap is too small to accommodate the loading of not even a 20 mm brush; so small, as to ensure damaging of the bristles of the brush attempting to load thereon.

Fitjar's Fjellheim shave cream, another Norwegian artisan who has unfortunately been in one prolonged hiatus for quite a while, is very similar, in performance and scent, to the Norwegian Woods.  But, other than affirming its quality performance, I cannot attest to Fjellheim's number of ingredients, as I no longer have the container.  I have added it to a list of mine denoting soaps and various accoutrements that I have tried and look forward to buying again.  Brutal Bra will certainly be on them, and the Norwegian Woods has been duly noted.

0 21
 05-15-2016, 11:26 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
The solution to the undersized container is to get a bigger container. Perhaps this can be done with future production runs by the maker. It can definitely be done by the consumer especially this mob with no end of bog oak bowls inlaid with mother of pearl found at a thrift store or on EBAY.

2 3,171
 05-15-2016, 11:39 AM
User Info
(05-15-2016, 11:26 AM)kav Wrote: The solution to the undersized container is to get a bigger container. Perhaps this can be done with future production runs by the maker. It can definitely be done by the consumer especially this mob with no end of bog oak bowls inlaid with mother of pearl found at a thrift store or on EBAY.

Sure, as this consumer has already done.  But for $30.00, the maker could see to it that some such details are taken care of in advance.  His Norwegian Woods container is not lacking on that regard, why does his Unscented?

0 21
 05-15-2016, 12:38 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
A big chunk of that $30 goes to paying Olaf Fastebooten to get the soap from Norway to California. As I said, perhaps future product runs might be updated to the newer tin.

2 3,171
 05-15-2016, 12:46 PM
User Info
There is something about this spruce that has a nice depth to it. It's very natural.

I can understand why people get annoyed by the tin, but personally, I'd rather have a crappy tin then another plastic tub.

Aside from the environmental impact of plastic, I feel like tin has some rustic charm about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 279
 05-15-2016, 12:46 PM
User Info
(05-15-2016, 11:39 AM)Taxidiotis Wrote:
(05-15-2016, 11:26 AM)kav Wrote: The solution to the undersized container is to get a bigger container. Perhaps this can be done with future production runs by the maker. It can definitely be done by the consumer especially this mob with no end of bog oak bowls inlaid with mother of pearl found at a thrift store or on EBAY.

Sure, as this consumer has already done.  But for $30.00, the maker could see to it that some such details are taken care of in advance.  His Norwegian Woods container is not lacking on that regard, why does his Unscented?

As far as I understand, the tins for the TSN LE soap was ordered specially for us.

3 4,370
 05-15-2016, 03:28 PM
User Info
My tub should be waiting for me when I return home at the end of the month.  Biggrin

39 3,868
 05-29-2016, 04:38 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Hallgeir has been so happy with the feedback that Norwegian Spruce is going to become a regular offering.

46 18,072
 05-29-2016, 04:57 PM
User Info
(05-29-2016, 04:38 PM)bullgoose Wrote: Hallgeir has been so happy with the feedback that Norwegian Spruce is going to become a regular offering.

Now that is fantastic news!

0 228
 05-29-2016, 05:24 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Brutalt is the eucalyptus coughdrop your great grandmother gave you along with a cedar chest scented blanket from her hope chest to wrap up in front of a ocean sculpted driftwood filled fireplace sending multi colored flames from the sea salts heavenward. Aromatherapy? We don need no stinkin aromatherapy.

2 3,171