05-11-2016, 07:28 PM
User Info
I am thinking about buying a Semogue SOC boar brush. It seems from what I’ve read on some forums about this brush, it’s a love/hate situation. Guys seem to love it or hate it.
So if you love the Semogue SOC boar brush, what do you love about it? Or if you don’t like the brush, what don’t you like about it?

5 1,537
 05-11-2016, 07:54 PM
User Info
Well, like you I also use a FaTip Grande and a Plisson synth so we have something in common.  The SOC has a great handle.  Big knot of nice un-dyed bristles.  But my experience is confirming what I read before I bought mine.  It's taking a really  long time to break in.  I also have a Semogue 610 and it broke in quicker, or at least seemed to.  But I like the brush and believe that eventually, it will be truly great.  Just don't expect that pillowy softness that the Plisson synth has when you first start using the SOC because it's not there.  In fact it's a little scratchy.  The scratchy brush combined with too much face lathering and a FaTip, well you can guess the result. Sore face.  But I'd still recommend getting one as it will soften up.  Mine has started to and is on it's way after 30-40 wet/dry cycles of shaving.  And I've been using it to bowl lather in a Captain's Choice bowl because I think the rough surface will help break in and soften the tips.  I hope this helps.

1 227
 05-11-2016, 08:00 PM
User Info
The SOC is the gold standard of boar brushes, I have used mine probably 50 times in the past year and it's tips are as soft as any badger and it gets better with each use.

It is truly one of those brushes that has to be part of a shave den.

5 139
 05-11-2016, 08:17 PM
User Info
I broke in my Semogues fairly fast by rubbing the bristles of one knot on the bristles of another knot. Worked wonders and cut the time down quite a bit.

79 1,339
 05-11-2016, 08:49 PM
User Info
It is a very good brush, but I found that it just splays too much after it is broken in causing a bit of loss to its backbone. 
I, actually, prefer the Omega Pro #49 & #49 knots as they hold their shape much better, in my opinion.
Regardless, you won't know what it is actually like until you try one for yourself.
Good thing they are very inexpensive so that you can actually do this. Shy
Good luck.

83 21,078
 05-12-2016, 04:50 AM
User Info
(05-11-2016, 08:49 PM)celestino Wrote: It is a very good brush, but I found that it just splays too much after it is broken in causing a bit of loss to its backbone. 
I, actually, prefer the Omega Pro #49 & #49 knots as they hold their shape much better, in my opinion.
Regardless, you won't know what it is actually like until you try one for yourself.
Good luck.

This is my concern. Some guys say when it looses it's backbone it becomes useless but then other guys say that is when it's at it's best. I believe you, celestino face lather, correct? Maybe it makes a difference weather you face lather or bowl lather as to how you perceive this brush.

5 1,537
 05-12-2016, 06:57 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I had the same experience as Celestino. The SOC felt like a floppy rope mop on my face. Yes, the brush broke in nicely - just not to my liking. I've since gifted all my boar brushes as my preference is for luxurious badger.

Otoh, the SOC 2 band is part of my regular rotation. Despite identical handles, the difference in face feel is like night and day. The knot on the SOC 2 band is highly controlled and precise; the SOC boar was wild and unkempt in comparison.

7 2,155
 05-12-2016, 07:59 AM
User Info
(05-12-2016, 04:50 AM)shave/brush Wrote:
(05-11-2016, 08:49 PM)celestino Wrote: It is a very good brush, but I found that it just splays too much after it is broken in causing a bit of loss to its backbone. 
Good luck.

This is my concern. Some guys say when it looses it's backbone it becomes useless but then other guys say that is when it's at it's best. I believe you, celestino face lather, correct? Maybe it makes a difference weather you face lather or bowl lather as to how you perceive this brush.

I do face-lather, 100% of the times and the SOC was getting to the point of splay where it seemed as I was actually having the glue-bump rubbing on my face while lathering, unfortunately.
I don't get this with the Omega Pros #49 & #49.
You may also want to consider the Zenith boar brushes as I have heard some very good things about these.
You may want to contemplate one of the smaller Semogues like the 1470, 610, or 820 as they have smaller knots.

Good luck.

83 21,078
 05-12-2016, 08:02 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
That's my experience as well. It splays too much, like most of the Semogue boars I have, but it's a very good brush. I'd recommend it.

49 1,999
 05-12-2016, 08:11 AM
User Info
Best Boar brushes I have found is Omega italian flag and the semogue soc.

If you want a face splash, soft feeling and a long loft you will like the omega italian flag. Soc is a smallar brush and becomes perfect when broken in.

0 132
 05-12-2016, 08:20 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(05-12-2016, 08:11 AM)dikdik_s Wrote: Best Boar brushes I have found is Omega italian flag and the semogue soc.

If you want a face splash, soft feeling and a long loft you will like the omega italian flag. Soc is a smallar brush and becomes perfect when broken in.

If I am not mistaken, the Omega you refer to is actually an Omega Pro with a drawing in the handle. You can buy the Omega 49, for example, and save around 18$. It's exactly the same thing.

49 1,999
 05-30-2016, 01:59 PM
User Info
It seems that when the SOC if fully broken in it gets rather floppy from what I have read. For those of you who have a well broken in SOC, how does it compare to other boar brushes you have for face lathering? Does it feel too floppy or okay or better than okay?

5 1,537
 05-30-2016, 02:19 PM
User Info
Love mine, so far used it 4-5 times in 3-4 months time.

If I rarely bowl lather, I use my boars, because they are cheap so I can really swirl the heck out if the brush in the bowl, a thing I don't do with my badgers, as they are far more expensive. I also use my boars for superlather, where I use one of my 10 boars for adding the first layer of shaving cream to my stubbles massaging the cream mildly in to the stubbles, proto lather is created without even having to do much face lathering, because most creams lather with ease, so even a floppy mop of a well broken in SOC Boar will not cause problems feeling too floppy and big, because it's just used for the first cream layer. Then I proceed with a badger dipped and swirled in my shaving soap and then do the rest of the real face lathering to mix and create the great SUPERLATHER lather  Sbathroom_grooming_shaving_100-100  

When mine begins to splay too much, I'm selling it and buying a new one.

It's cheap, so buying a new one every other year really is no big deal.

SOC BOAR price: $34
Simpson Manchurian Chubby 3: $480
Simpson Manchurian Chubby 2: $440

24 5,969
 05-30-2016, 03:01 PM
User Info
(05-30-2016, 02:19 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Love mine, so far used it 4-5 times in 3-4 months time.

If I rarely bowl lather, I use my boars, because they are cheap so I can really swirl the heck out if the brush in the bowl, a thing I don't do with my badgers, as they are far more expensive. I also use my boars for superlather, where I use one of my 10 boars for adding the first layer of shaving cream to my stubbles massaging the cream mildly in to the stubbles, proto lather is created without even having to do much face lathering, because most creams lather with ease, so even a floppy mop of a well broken in SOC Boar will not cause problems feeling too floppy and big, because it's just used for the first cream layer. Then I proceed with a badger dipped and swirled in my shaving soap and then do the rest of the real face lathering to mix and create the great SUPERLATHER lather  Sbathroom_grooming_shaving_100-100  

So you don't have a well broken in SOC and have never used one for face lathering.

5 1,537
 05-30-2016, 04:08 PM
User Info
I use a well broken in soc for face lathering.  Compared to my extremely well broken 10049 pro, it does have a lot of splay.  Unlike others I don't believe it lacks backbone.  The handle is great  (though I generally don't like wood as wood and water is a nono).
That said, Omega pro boar hair is the best in my opinion among omega, semogue and zenith.   YMMV of course.  I dont like the non pro omega brushes for the sme reason i dont like the zenith hair, it is to fine for a boar brush.  The beauty of boar is the tips splittting once, twice or even 3 times a lady.  The fine hair just does not do correctly IMO.  As I shave my head in the shower, I use boar ever day in the shower (head latherer) and usually for about 3 shaves on my face outside the shower on average, so I do use it quite a bit.

90 899
 05-30-2016, 04:50 PM
User Info
(05-30-2016, 03:01 PM)shave/brush Wrote:
(05-30-2016, 02:19 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Love mine, so far used it 4-5 times in 3-4 months time.

So you don't have a well broken in SOC and have never used one for face lathering.

I have owned two broken in boars, a Semogue 620 and a Semogue 1315. Both were only used for face lathering.
As mentioned I bowl lather for 1/50 shaves.
I own so many brushes, that using  the same brush 20-25 times would take me half a life time.
Only way I managed to break the two boars in was because they were used as my travel brushes at one stage last year, and I stay at hotels every 2 weeks, for a weekend, year round.

I have used all my 10 boars for face lathering, but they are not broken in yet. The two that was broken in, I sold last year.

24 5,969
 05-31-2016, 12:40 PM
User Info
I am not a scrubby lather guy , I use the tips of a brush very gently for lathering thus my 1305 has no issues with splay or backbone etc. I believer the SOC could be used in this manner but adjustments are needed and for some that isn't of interest.

60 1,533