05-12-2016, 05:26 AM
User Info
Hi,
My name is Clint and I have a problem.(The first step in road to recovery, admitting there is a problem).

Whatever does one do after collecting all the razors one finds interesting(for now).....and gets buyer's remorse about the amount of investment/volume..... but doesn't want to part ways with any of the beauties one has(especially when they all haven't been road tested yet)???

-My SBAD is quenched as I settled on a few custom brushes I adore.
-My Soap Acquisition roller coaster came to an end once I decided to limit the contents of the soaps to almost 100% all natural ingredients of well reputed artisans
-My blade stash is like many a bit excessive and variable

I haven't collected anything since I was a kid and baseball cards were all the rage in the late 80's.    

Perhaps I should stop worrying, as unlike the Fad of Baseball Cards, I will be shaving for the rest of my hopefully long life.

Therapeutic thinking out loud finished.  

P.S.  My last refurbish job is now finished (after an 8 month binge of buying and refurbishing), so perhaps I can spend time enjoying my razors instead of waiting for the next one.

[Image: GEaWx2v.jpg]

39 275
 05-12-2016, 05:42 AM
User Info
Hi Clint. 

Thank You for sharing.

18 654
 05-12-2016, 06:33 AM
  • Viking
  • Artisan - Soap & Cosmetics
  • Ames, Iowa
User Info
Hello

You're in good company here... I think you nailed it, after the 8 month binge, you are bound to turn it down to a simmer for a while. However, I have been wetshaving for nearly 10 years now and I still like to buy stuff... I've already been through RAD a few times, and SBAD is just now hitting me. So, I guess the message is: "Buckle in, it's gonna be a long ride."

10 233
 05-12-2016, 06:37 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Are you familiar with the famous Tulip Fad? EBAY is full of overpriced Gillettes. Skilled machinists are turning out new razors with tolerances befitting a nuclear submarine valve and wild badgers undergoing genetic selection as ever finer pelts are pursued. Discontinued product  is
hunted like crystal skulls ( made by an Austrian artist and given fanciful legends to market) and more than one shaver in old clan stuart bathrobes logs online @ 5A.M. to sit reading new posts and checking EBAY for Darwins- unshaven. 
You did not waste funds or time. You merely avoided other pursuits; IE collecting pre 64 model 70 Winchesters in every known caliber while
your third wife has her nails done in HELLO KITTY faces to match the bedroom décor you drag weary feet into every night: dreaming, ever dreaming of that inland passage cruise to actually see brown bears or lions on the beach like THE OLD MAN AND THE SEA.

2 3,171
 05-12-2016, 07:11 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Hi, Clint!

I can relate. I acquired about 2 dozen razors in the last few years and have settled on a solid rotation of only 4-5. I'm very happy with my little collection which is now down to 17 pieces. Even though only a handful are used regularly, the others are ogled daily Smile

7 2,121
 05-12-2016, 07:37 AM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
(05-12-2016, 06:37 AM)kav Wrote: Are you familiar with the famous Tulip Fad? EBAY is full of overpriced Gillettes. Skilled machinists are turning out new razors with tolerances befitting a nuclear submarine valve and wild badgers undergoing genetic selection as ever finer pelts are pursued. Discontinued product  is
hunted like crystal skulls ( made by an Austrian artist and given fanciful legends to market) and more than one shaver in old clan stuart bathrobes logs online @ 5A.M. to sit reading new posts and checking EBAY for Darwins- unshaven. 
You did not waste funds or time. You merely avoided other pursuits; IE collecting pre 64 model 70 Winchesters in every known caliber while
your third wife has her nails done in HELLO KITTY faces to match the bedroom décor you drag weary feet into every night: dreaming, ever dreaming of that inland passage cruise to actually see brown bears or lions on the beach like THE OLD MAN AND THE SEA.

Kav,

Collecting pre-64 Win M70s is a virtue!!!  I have several!  Clap

Eric

48 976
 05-12-2016, 07:37 AM
User Info
SELL IT! I recently took an enormous step forward in this regard.  I sold $XX,000 dollars worth of shaving stuff (brushes and razors) I have accumulated over the past 8 years.  In that incredible amount of stuff that I parted with, I only have a bit of remorse surrounding a couple of items.  Although I have no qualms with what you or anyone else wants to collect, I personally have found it liberating to simplify my shave den. When I say simplify, I don't mean 1 brush, 1 razor and 1 soap, I still have far more than I should, but it's all stuff that gets used and I like that.

74 2,271
 05-12-2016, 08:23 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(05-12-2016, 07:37 AM)merkur man Wrote: I recently took an enormous step forward in this regard.  I sold $XX,000 dollars worth of shaving stuff (brushes and razors) I have accumulated over the past 8 years.  In that incredible amount of stuff that I parted with, I only have a bit of remorse surrounding a couple of items.  Although I have no qualms with what you or anyone else wants to collect, I personally have found it liberating to simplify my shave den. When I say simplify, I don't mean 1 brush, 1 razor and 1 soap, I still have far more than I should, but it's all stuff that gets used and I like that.

To appreciate tokimeku, one encourages one to engage in the lost art of reading:  The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up.  Tokimeku — a word to live by.

1 1,086
 05-12-2016, 08:32 PM
User Info
Somebody should have made a song....After The RAD Is Gone...what used to be right is wrong..  Slideshows of Simpson Manchurians and such for the visuals.

You could use this for the for the rythem

5 139
 05-12-2016, 09:17 PM
User Info
I can appreciate what you are going thru, I recently looked at what I have gathered in less than 24 months and am now at a point where I just look and say no I don't need that, I currently have 16 brushes, 18 straights, 5-6 DE/SE razors and about 20 soaps/creams along with 4 strops and I was looking the other day and said ok when is enough going to be enough ?

I don't have and never have had buyers remorse but I am thinking now I need to fall back some and decide what I like and what I don't like and go from there.

6 1,332
 05-12-2016, 11:51 PM
User Info
interestingly enough in the last year I have sold almost as much as I still have in inventory as far as both volume and $$$ investment. My biggest leap to was drastically reduce my soap collection from about 25 to only 3 within the last 2 months and am looking to further reduce my brush collection to only having maximum 3-4 within the next month.

Razors on the other hand.....I have 24 DE's and 7 x SR's. 5 of the DE's are potentially on the chopping block and perhaps another 3 to follow afterwards(all 8 are Gillette New's I am trying and besides do I really need 8 different variations from LC, SC, RFB, Twin Pin, Deluxes...etc etc for just 1 razor?).

Once those are gone.....my collection might just stop shrinking as I have some beauties that like another member mentioned I like to "ogle". Especially the Rhodium Toggle I acquired...I havent even used it and I find myself looking at it constantly!!!!

Perhaps the investment of gradually selling off razor supplies to help fund a bigger motorcycle(which I want) will help me transfer focus/funds from one hobby to another. :o)

39 275
 05-13-2016, 08:06 AM
  • Entasis
  • Atop the Razor's Edge
  • Southern California
User Info
I hope my RAD keeps burning as shaving is such a personal act and a time where I get to concentrate. Fortunately, I have a son, so when there is a shaving product that I have lost interest in, I past it over to him. I also have given items to my shaving friends who themselves are very generous. To date I have not sold any of my shaving items.

DE razors have never done well with me until recently with the new ones fabricated by some great craftsmen. SE razors are increasing in number and I cannot pass them up. Custom straight razors are my affinity with my collection constantly growing. Great soaps, creams and balms are being made by small artisans that I truly enjoy. Love it all! Love putting all my shaving items/products into my daily rotation.

13 611
 05-17-2016, 03:18 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
I have no guilt about anything I've bought, and I'm not planning to get rid of any of it, or thin any "herd" down.
When i die, those left behind can sort it all out. Until then it is MINE MINE MINE.

[Image: 21a63fca-6d4f-3b07-9152-4d42b01f94cf]

2 1,683
 05-17-2016, 03:39 PM
User Info
"Too much ain't enough" - sign over the former Lone Star Cafe in NYC (13th & 5th)

36 892
 05-17-2016, 05:35 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Think of this another way...no matter how many razors and "other stuff" you have.....all of it is less expensive than 2 wheels...(no tires) of a Bentley...so really all of this is chicken feed.....well time for my RAD meds and check in at the 12 step program "discovery" group Biggrin Tongue Pancarta

6 2,022
 05-21-2016, 05:18 AM
  • Journeyman
  • The Present (when I'm lucky)
User Info
My AD comes in the form of shaving brushes and aftershaves. At 10 brushes but don't see that changing much more than + or - 2. My real potential AD is aftershave. At 10 now but as I gaze out into the world of aftershaves I see unlimited potential.

18 277
 05-22-2016, 04:13 AM
User Info
My rad was out of control until i got my hands on wolfman,  cobra,  and progress.  Progress is really the best bang for the buck and my daily shaver.  Too easy to shave with.

53 760
 05-22-2016, 05:02 AM
User Info
"One psychoanalytical explanation for collecting is that unloved children learn to seek comfort in accumulating belongings; another is that collecting is motivated by existential anxieties – the collection, an extension of our identity, lives on, even though we do not. More recently, evolutionary theorists suggested that a collection was a way for a man to attract potential mates by signalling his ability to accumulate resources." .... Christian Jarrett "The Guardian" Sunday 9 Nov. 2014

19 775