05-12-2016, 08:03 AM
User Info
Bullgoose recently had a sale on their Vie-Long brushes, so I took advantage of it to purchase a Vie-Long Lord Randal in natural white horsehair, as I'd had my eye on it for a while.

As received, there was the faint "horsey" smell in the knot, so I washed it for two-three rounds of dish-washing detergent and water, followed by two preliminary lathers with Razorock lavender soap.  Two lathers seemed to be enough to remove most of the knot's own smell, so the third lather was used for today's shave.

I'm really pleased with this brush so far.  Apparently, the brown and white horsehair knots are slightly different as to composition, the brown knot being 35/65 mane-to-tail hair and the white knot being 50/50 mane-to-tail.  My experience has been that the brown horsehair is a bit too prickly for my taste, whereas this white horsehair is softer, like the banded Vie-Long horsehair knots I've used in the past.  After an initial soak, I spent around twenty seconds loading the brush, transferring this to a lathering bowl to work up the lather.  Soon thereafter, I had enough nice lather for three passes.  The knot seemed fine as to backbone, the Razorock soap being relatively soft, but I'm sure it will work fine with harder soaps and have no doubt that it will do great with creams.  Handle ergonomics, reminding me of some British-style handles, seemed very good, one can choke up on it for loading from a hard soap and face-lathering, or hold it by the very end for bowl-lathering as needed.

Promises to be a very nice all-around brush as advertised.

0 67
 05-12-2016, 08:05 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(05-12-2016, 08:03 AM)Alum of Potash Wrote: Bullgoose recently had a sale on their Vie-Long brushes, so I took advantage of it to purchase a Vie-Long Lord Randal in natural white horsehair, as I'd had my eye on it for a while.

As received, there was the faint "horsey" smell in the knot, so I washed it for two-three rounds of dish-washing detergent and water, followed by two preliminary lathers with Razorock lavender soap.  Two lathers seemed to be enough to remove most of the knot's own smell, so the third lather was used for today's shave.

I'm really pleased with this brush so far.  Apparently, the brown and white horsehair knots are slightly different as to composition, the brown knot being 35/65 mane to tail hair and the white knot being 50/50 mane to tail.  My experience has been that the brown horsehair is a bit too prickly for my taste, whereas this white horsehair is softer, like the banded Vie-Long horsehair knots I've used in the past.  After an initial soak, I spent around twenty seconds loading the brush, transferring this to a lathering bowl to work up the lather.  Soon thereafter, I had enough nice lather for three passes.  The knot seemed fine as to backbone, the Razorock soap being relative soft, but I'm sure it will work fine with harder soaps and have no doubt that it will do great with creams.  Handle ergonomics, reminding me of some British-style handles, seemed very good, one can choke up on it for loading from a hard soap and face-lathering, or hold it by the very end for bowl lathering as needed.

Promises to be a very nice all-around brush as advertised.
I am glad that you like the brush. However, both the brown and white horsehair Lord Randal brushes use a 35/65 ratio. This is generally true and Oscar says so publicly in this interview.

You may be thinking of the bleached horsehair brushes. I do not carry any bleached brushes but, they are a 50/50 ratio.

46 18,369
 05-12-2016, 08:31 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Tail hair is stiffer than mane. My horses always rolled in the dirt to eliminate that faint human smell after riding.

2 3,171
 05-12-2016, 08:38 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
I do find the Natural White brushes to be a tad softer than the Natural Brown but according to Oscar, they have the same ratio of mane to tail hair.

46 18,369
 05-12-2016, 08:41 AM
User Info
Interesting that the white could be 35/65. The only horse hair brush that I tried was also a white and was advertised at G&C as 50/50. I wonder if these knots would be stiffer than the one that I tried, which was very soft but light on backbone.

40 1,166
 05-12-2016, 10:49 AM
User Info
Thanks for the clarification Phil.  As Rob mentions above, I took it to be a 50/50 mane-to-tail ratio as the white horsehair knots as given on the Gifts & Care site are listed as 50/50, whereas the brown horsehair knots are listed as 35/60.  Might be something to double-check with Oscar.

0 67
 05-12-2016, 11:23 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(05-12-2016, 10:49 AM)Alum of Potash Wrote: Thanks for the clarification Phil.  As Rob mentions above, I took it to be a 50/50 mane-to-tail ratio as the white horsehair knots as given on the Gifts & Care site are listed as 50/50, whereas the brown horsehair knots are listed as 35/60.  Might be something to double-check with Oscar.

I have triple checked with Oscar.

46 18,369
 05-12-2016, 11:49 AM
User Info
Duly noted.  Thanks.

0 67