05-12-2016, 08:06 AM
User Info
Hi all.  I am looking into whether I might like to acquire a Gillette British #15 or #16 SB, but I'm wondering how the head geometry of these razors compare to my (thus far) all-time favorite razor: the '46/'47 US Aristocrat.  I've always found the mid-40's razors (e.g. 46/47 and the Ranger Tech) unique in their blade gaps - blade seems to be very close safety bars in these models.  But they seem to give me terrific shaves!  Can anyone who has experience with these razors offer any insight on factors such as head geometry, blade exposure, blade gap and shave-ability of the #15/16 versus the '46/'47?  Thanks!

33 325
 05-12-2016, 05:39 PM
User Info
Your findings are consistent with mine for the US models.  The blade gaps on the British models is a little bigger, and they are slightly more aggressive. My #16 is the smoothest of the five or so British Aristocrat types I have tried.  #22 was the least. The #16 was second only to the #58 set in terms of smoothness, but I think is a little more efficient.  For me, this comparison is between the best two of all the TTO designs I have tried from Gillette.  If you had to get only one British Aristocrat, get the #16.

29 257
 05-12-2016, 05:49 PM
User Info
(05-12-2016, 05:39 PM)Streambrewer Wrote: Your findings are consistent with mine for the US models.  The blade gaps on the British models is a little bigger, and they are slightly more aggressive. My #16 is the smoothest of the five or so British Aristocrat types I have tried.  #22 was the least. The #16 was second only to the #58 set in terms of smoothness, but I think is a little more efficient.  For me, this comparison is between the best two of all the TTO designs I have tried from Gillette.  If you had to get only one British Aristocrat, get the #16.

Thanks, that's helpful. . . especially since you're not the first to say the #16 would be the choice if forced to live with only one.  I'm intrigued now - how do you think the #16 compares to the #15?

33 325
 05-12-2016, 06:04 PM
User Info
(05-12-2016, 05:49 PM)shaveser Wrote:
(05-12-2016, 05:39 PM)Streambrewer Wrote: Your findings are consistent with mine for the US models.  The blade gaps on the British models is a little bigger, and they are slightly more aggressive. My #16 is the smoothest of the five or so British Aristocrat types I have tried.  #22 was the least. The #16 was second only to the #58 set in terms of smoothness, but I think is a little more efficient.  For me, this comparison is between the best two of all the TTO designs I have tried from Gillette.  If you had to get only one British Aristocrat, get the #16.

Thanks, that's helpful. . . especially since you're not the first to say the #16 would be the choice if forced to live with only one.  I'm intrigued now - how do you think the #16 compares to the #15?

Unfortunately I can't say that I have tried the #15.  My experience with the British manufactured Aristocrats is limited to the British and French 1936 open comb Aristocrats, two different #22 models, #16, and 3-4 different #66 and #70 models.  I can say that the open comb versions seem to be consistent with the US versions and have the same close blade gap as the 46-47 era, albeit with an open comb.

29 257
 05-13-2016, 12:55 PM
User Info
(05-12-2016, 06:04 PM)Streambrewer Wrote:
(05-12-2016, 05:49 PM)shaveser Wrote:

Unfortunately I can't say that I have tried the #15.  My experience with the British manufactured Aristocrats is limited to the British and French 1936 open comb Aristocrats, two different #22 models, #16, and 3-4 different #66 and #70 models.  I can say that the open comb versions seem to be consistent with the US versions and have the same close blade gap as the 46-47 era, albeit with an open comb.

Thanks, that's some helpful perspective.  Now, time to work on acquiring some of these beautiful razors. . .

33 325