05-12-2016, 01:35 PM
User Info
I have been at other websites in the past, but the emphasis there is on American small manufacturers. I’ve no beef with these guys, but they change recipes so often that it makes it too hard to evaluate their performance side by side.

Which was what attracted me to this forum. There seems to be much more of an emphasis on European soaps, which in turn seems a slower market. There is not a constant glut of new products.

But there is so much French! I am currently considering La Savonnière du Moulin and Savonnerie du bon berger soaps. I think I can tell the difference between these, but need some help. Are they different? What are some other great European soaps? My standard bearers are Panna Crema Nuavia and Haslinger’s. I have tried Mdc and found it so-so. And I tend not to like British soaps.

What is the best website for an American to get European soaps?

0 61
 05-12-2016, 01:41 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Bullgoose has many wonderful European artisan soaps.

49 2,019
 05-12-2016, 01:45 PM
User Info
I have bought a decent amount of the Euro soaps from Bullgoose and a few other SoCal shops but I also order direct from some of the Euro vendors. That is usually though when I do a larger order to help eat some of the shipping.

82 1,375
 05-12-2016, 01:48 PM
User Info
RazorMaster from Finland...Excellent
Meissiner Tremonia from Germany.. Again Excellent
Brutalt Bra from Norway...Good stuff
Schmiere Abschaum.....Germany
Baume.Be....Belgium

For me Meissiner is with out a doubt a class unto it self with Razormaster leading the runners up.

5 139
 05-12-2016, 01:55 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Savonnerie in French and Saponificio in Italian are very romantic words to whisper in a lady's ear over candlelight. Their translation into English is Soapworks. Whisper this and the lady will take it as insult to her cleanliness and You'll never make it to the flaming crepes ( pancakes) for desert.

2 3,171
 05-12-2016, 02:27 PM
User Info
(05-12-2016, 01:55 PM)kav Wrote: Savonnerie in French and Saponificio in Italian are very romantic words to whisper in a lady's ear over candlelight. Their translation into English is Soapworks. Whisper this and the lady will take it as insult to her cleanliness and You'll never make it to the flaming crepes ( pancakes) for desert.

0 61
 05-12-2016, 10:59 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
haha! 
Soap does work!

62 3,014
 05-13-2016, 03:09 AM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
(05-12-2016, 01:55 PM)kav Wrote: Savonnerie in French and Saponificio in Italian are very romantic words to whisper in a lady's ear over candlelight. Their translation into English is Soapworks. Whisper this and the lady will take it as insult to her cleanliness and You'll never make it to the flaming crepes ( pancakes) for desert.

Lol!!! Love it!! A little dating advice.

77 1,395
 05-13-2016, 12:16 PM
User Info
What would the difference between  La Savonnière du Moulin and Savonnerie du bon berger be?

0 61
 05-13-2016, 12:19 PM
User Info
Which is more awesome?

0 61
 05-13-2016, 12:20 PM
User Info
The flaming pancakes would be a very good name for a band

0 61
 05-13-2016, 12:57 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Transpose Savonerrie with Vin de la Region. They are two, independent soap makers. Moulin's raison d'etre is donkey milk as the key ingredient; which, seeing as they live on a donkey farm makes economic sense.
This is an ancient beauty aid  that is slowly expanding in French  cosmetics. Bon Berger is introducing donkey milk into some of their products. Both are tres' fantastique. That's french for 'Kav likes them'. Another French soap is Pre de Provence with Shea Butter. The scent almost
turned me away it was so powerful first lather. I let it sit out and next shave became by favorite 'big name' soap at a very attractive price. You can get all of these, in fact can only get Moulin at BULLGOOSE.

2 3,171
 05-13-2016, 01:58 PM
User Info
Try the Valobra hard soaps.  They are top notch.  Valobra, Czech & Speake, and the discontinued Art of Shaving tallow (still available on the auction site in both Sandalwood and unscented).  Several sites sell them.

0 10
 05-13-2016, 04:51 PM
User Info
I'm a big fan of the Italians.

Valobra hard puck, from Genova.  Which as the post above notes is the same soap as Czech and Speake and also AOS Tallow (discontinued).

Antica Barbieria Colla, from Milan.  I love the hard soap but some people say the cream is even better.  

Santa Maria Novella, from Florence.  Hands down the best shave soap/cream in my den.  But a tub is 70 bucks here in the US!

Folks here rave about Saponificio Varesino, which I've yet to try.

None of these are cheap; the least expensive is Valobra.  If you like thick, dense tallow lather, Valobra is for you.

As for the French...

MDC was a big let down for me as well.  Loved the scent and the ease of lather, but it lacked residual slickness and post shave feel/skin conditioning not great.

SdM and SdBB both use Donkey Milk, which people say adds to great skin conditioning.  I have a Savon des Volcans (SdBB) stick on the way.

Good luck!

11 972
 05-13-2016, 06:13 PM
  • Bouki
  • Sandwich Islands
User Info
Le Père Lucien makes a nice line of vegetable based shaving soaps, remarkable for their pleasant scents. Rose de Pushkar is one of the finest roses I've ever come across, and their apricot (Abricot) is legendary among members of this forum. Their workshop is located in Teillet-Argenty, a small village right in the very center of France, but you can purchase their soaps online directly from them, or you can buy them from North American vendors, such as Smallflower, Maggards, and Bullgoose. You may particularly like Smallflower's wide selection of European products.

5 163
 05-13-2016, 06:17 PM
User Info
Best website for euro soaps I've found is Juan at Gifts and Care.

0 44
 05-13-2016, 06:26 PM
User Info
Icon_popcorn

Interesting thread.

10 1,460
 05-13-2016, 08:08 PM
User Info
Pick up some Haslinger (Tvbshaving has good prices). It's Austrian :-)

And a quintessential European soap is DR Harris, if you haven't tried that yet.

6 806
 05-13-2016, 08:11 PM
  • Jovan
  • Banned
  • Traveling USA
User Info
+1 on the Meissner Tremonia which is available at Straight Razor Design.  They now have samples available for purchase.

ABC (Anti Barbers Colla (SP)) is available from BullGoose I think.

I prefer MT and they have a large selection of scents.

Klar Seifert is another (BullGoose) great soap but needs a container as the little tin one is a joke IMO.

2 479
 05-13-2016, 08:18 PM
  • Asafiev
  • Lancaster, PA
User Info

Yes, this is true.  I can attest to the facts of this statement.

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose - Jim Elliot

0 250