05-12-2016, 02:23 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
I am not an agent of this company. It is a product I own being offered at a great price. I am simply alerting the group about it. The product is a beautifully designed pour over with a double filter and secure shut off valve. The coffe brewed in this pot is superior to any French press. No grounds oils or bitterness. Can make either 1 or 2 large cups of coffee with no grounds,oils or bitterness. Origionally priced at $50 now on sale at Two for $40. I bought 2 and gifted one to a friend. So far I am very pleased with the resulting brew.
https://www.sweetmarias.com/product/hand...pper-large

64 990
 05-12-2016, 04:00 PM
User Info
Looks a lot like the Perfect Tea Pot my wife has from Teavana. Works great but I've never wanted to use it for my coffee as it's dedicated for tea.

31 7,981
 05-12-2016, 04:52 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Thanks for the tip Barry. I may have to pull the trigger

45 17,066
 05-13-2016, 08:14 PM
User Info
How's the cleanup compared to a French Press?

4 574
 05-13-2016, 10:19 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
(05-13-2016, 08:14 PM)Gig103 Wrote: How's the cleanup compared to a French Press?

Getting rid of the grinds is easier.The unit is plastic rather than glass. I bang the unit against my trash can and most of the grinds drop out. The filter is a double filter. So far all the grounds came out of the filter with just a quick rinse. According to the directions if grinds get into the inside of the filter  it snaps apart easily and can be rinsed easily. The pot rinses and cleans easily. The only downside so far is that it is not dishwasher or microwave safe. In addition I notice a plastic taste to the coffee. I have no such taste in a glass French Press. However, the coffee is cleaner than the French press and I hope with continued use the plastic taste will dissipate. The plastic is certified safe no BP whatever. I use my Technivorm in the mornings. I use this pour over in the afternoon to make 2 mugs of coffee for me and my wife. The Tecnivorm does not do a half pot of coffee very well.

64 990
 05-14-2016, 04:00 AM
User Info
Ordered yesterday Barry.

Shipped today.

Can't beat that!

Thank you for the heads up!

79 1,992
 05-14-2016, 05:28 AM
User Info
Tom at Sweet Maria's is a terrific guy. Very knowledgeable and offers quality products. I get all of my green coffee beans from him. Highly recommended.

35 3,493
 05-14-2016, 06:22 AM
User Info
Very, very similar to my Better Half's teamaker.. she is very happy with it, and clean up is indeed easy Smile

3 3,907
 05-14-2016, 08:21 AM
User Info
Looks like a neat design. The only thing I question is the plastic. I would assume that the plastic would leach into the water and give you a bit of that plastic bitter-like flavor, especially water at 200-205 degrees blooming grinds for 2 minutes. No proof of that, it's just an assumption. Though in the end it's all about the taste of the coffee and if it's good then that's all that matters. The price seems very fair with very little chance of breaking it, unlike the three Chemex, and two Bodum vacuum pots I've destroyed.

~Royce

4 359
 05-14-2016, 09:06 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
(05-14-2016, 08:21 AM)DudeAbides Wrote: Looks like a neat design. The only thing I question is the plastic. I would assume that the plastic would leach into the water and give you a bit of that plastic bitter-like flavor, especially water at 200-205 degrees blooming grinds for 2 minutes. No proof of that, it's just an assumption. Though in the end it's all about the taste of the coffee and if it's good then that's all that matters. The price seems very fair with very little chance of breaking it, unlike the three Chemex, and two Bodum vacuum pots I've destroyed.

~Royce

I hear your pain. I miss my Hario Vacuumm pot as well. I tend to be a CSA (Coffee Snob of America). Perhaps others will not taste the plastic as much as I do. Hopefully the taste will disappear over time. It is not a bad taste it's just not a coffee taste.

64 990
 05-15-2016, 04:44 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
Looks interesting, but I'm hesitant because I've tried a number of coffe makers that are touted as making the perfect brew, but have yet to find one that really does.  BTW, it took me a moment to figure out what a 'pour over' is; I thought that OP was referring to his new hairstyle at first.  Tongue

5 820
 05-15-2016, 05:07 AM
User Info
I've been using a Clever Coffee Dripper for several months and it works really well for me. I haven't noticed the taste of plastic in my coffee. But I can see two big improvements in the HandyBrew over the Clever Coffee Driffer; it's larger size and use of a metal filter over paper. My CCD size large supports 18 fl oz, vs 30 fl oz in the HandyBrew. I'm the only coffee drinker in my house, but I could use the additional capacity for guests. And the paper filters in the CCD have been extremely convenient. A good shake over the garbage and all the grinds and the filter are gone. Will use of a metal filter make it more difficult to clean? I'd like to avoid having to buy paper filters if the metal filter is not a pain to clean.

36 1,146
 05-15-2016, 06:11 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
(05-15-2016, 05:07 AM)shevek Wrote: I've been using a Clever Coffee Dripper for several months and it works really well for me. I haven't noticed the taste of plastic in my coffee. But I can see two big improvements in the HandyBrew over the Clever Coffee Driffer; it's larger size and use of a metal filter over paper. My CCD size large supports 18 fl oz, vs 30 fl oz in the HandyBrew. I'm the only coffee drinker in my house, but I could use the additional capacity for guests. And the paper filters in the CCD have been extremely convenient. A good shake over the garbage and all the grinds and the filter are gone. Will use of a metal filter make it more difficult to clean? I'd like to avoid having to buy paper filters if the metal filter is not a pain to clean.

The filter is more of a pain than the paper. However, there is no paper taste. You don't have to putchase filters. The fact that the pot is plastic and you can actually bang it against the trash can and dislodge the grinds makes it easy to remove the grinds. Just not quite as easy as the paper filter. You have to still rinse a few grinds from the pot and the filter. Payback larger cleaner brews. Also cleaner counter tops. The valve on this unit is very effective. When you lift the unit off a coffee cup there is no leakage. No coffee drips as you move it from cup to cup or to the sink.

64 990
 05-17-2016, 06:27 PM
User Info
As an on-again/off-again single-cup coffee drinker, I'm considering the small Bee House Dripper from Sweet Maria's for its ease of use. If that doesn't do it for me, this thread as well as the Aeropress thread is an excellent reference on what to consider next.

23 1,742
 05-20-2016, 04:23 PM
User Info
 05-20-2016, 06:24 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
(05-20-2016, 04:23 PM)Skinny Rogers Wrote: [Image: c227e4eae8dbf09e700415167bce6653.jpg]
Let us know what you think. Oh and by the way. By the 3rd pot of coffee the plastic taste disappears. I am very pleased with this pot.

64 990
 05-20-2016, 07:06 PM
User Info
I ordered and received a Melitta pour over the other day. First one I've ever owned and now I'm hooked! Best cup of coffee I've ever had! Can anyone compare this with a Melitta?

141 3,315
 05-20-2016, 10:27 PM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
I got my two.  My parents aren't impressed (they're diehard french-press fans) but I am.  The double filter is a nice touch,  It makes an exceptional cup of coffee.
Glad I bought them.

46 1,825
 05-24-2016, 06:03 AM
User Info
Interesting but for now I'm sticking to my Chemex and french press and aeropress and...

0 106
 05-24-2016, 08:41 AM
User Info
I just saw some $99 brewer on YouTube that was basically this one (inverted fine filter) but with a carafe. Now I know where to get a cheaper one if I ever decide I need more than espresso or Aeropress!

4 574