05-14-2016, 06:08 AM
User Info
Gents, I recently purchased Thater 3 Band - 40125308- bulb shape brush.

The knot is really dense and the handle is really sturdy. Brush is premium quality but the biggest challenge I am facing with it is the lather build up.

Am not able to get enough lather on to have a good shave.

On the other have proraso boar does a perfect job for me.

Request some of the Gurus to guide me on how to get the lather right with the brush.

I have spent bomb of money by Indian standards and it looks a dud to me.[Image: c18678de9dbfb686b610ef689a14c981.jpg]

Please help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 795
 05-14-2016, 07:07 AM
User Info
What software are you using for your shaves? 
Do you have the same issues with soaps and creams? 
How about hard vs soft soaps?
If your issue is with soaps only,  what techniques are you using?

11 435
 05-14-2016, 07:17 AM
  • Monchoon
  • Saskatoon, Canada
User Info
First thought is, this is a pretty large brush, you will need a lot more product loaded on to the brush before lathering.

Are you loading much more than your boar?

3 48
 05-14-2016, 07:25 AM
User Info
I would say spend more time loading.

Brushes can be deceiving when lather starts to build.

Sometimes it may look like a ton of lather but after the first pass it's almost gone.

Load it like you hate it.

Should be plenty of later for 6 passes!

82 2,207
 05-14-2016, 07:47 AM
User Info
Here is a video you can watch to see if it helps.

You, most likely, need to load more soap if you are using soap, or add more cream to your brush.

Do you face or bowl-lather?

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=35342

82 21,077
 05-14-2016, 08:02 AM
User Info
Load more.  Big dense badger brushes need more product to make good lather.  If you're a 2 pass plus touch up shaver like me, that means having a lot of left over lather.  No big deal.  If you want efficiency and don't want to take as much time loading and lathering, get a synthetic.

11 973
 05-14-2016, 10:53 AM
User Info
(05-14-2016, 07:07 AM)mainaman Wrote: What software are you using for your shaves? 
Do you have the same issues with soaps and creams? 
How about hard vs soft soaps?
If your issue is with soaps only,  what techniques are you using?

Am using creams only for now like Castle forbes lime, CF Cedarwood and proraso classic on rotational basis.

No issues so far with the software.

1 795
 05-14-2016, 10:58 AM
User Info
(05-14-2016, 07:17 AM)Monchoon Wrote: First thought is, this is a pretty large brush, you will need a lot more product loaded on to the brush before lathering.

Are you loading much more than your boar?

Thanks for the reply.

Well not really. I assumed that the same amount of cream on proraso boar would do the job with the Thater, guess I was wrong.

The other thing is, when going in for the third pass,I squeeze the thater, there is a lot of juice in the brush but somehow it gets lost in the thick dense brush. How do I get this stuff on my face?

1 795
 05-14-2016, 11:08 AM
User Info
(05-14-2016, 07:47 AM)celestino Wrote: Here is a video you can watch to see if it helps.

You, most likely, need to load more soap if you are using soap, or add more cream to your brush.

Do you face or bowl-lather?

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=35342

Thanks a ton for the vdo. I realize that I have not been giving so much time to the brush or myself for building lather at all I guess.

I face lather most of the times.

Let me see share my results with tomorrow's shave.

Hopefully it should be better.

Thanks again.

1 795
 05-14-2016, 11:38 AM
User Info
90% of the rookie mistakes, when beginners have trouble loading a brush is because they load too little product.

If you want a big brush, accept that you need to use more product.

Or else sell the brush and stay with smaller brushes or boars or even more economical, use synhetics. Synthetics lather far more easy than badger brushes, they are far cheaper, thus a better solution for beginners.

You need to load the living life out of the brush. And when you use Castle Forbes, have patience and add more water than you think you need, but add the water little by little, or you will destroy the lather.

Also remember, that just as boars, badgers need a little time before they perform to their best. Not as long break in as boars, but badgers need to be used 5-10 times before they perform to their best potential.

24 5,963
 05-14-2016, 11:53 AM
User Info
Good luck and just use a bit more cream on the brush before you face-lathering and try working the lather for longer while incorporating more water to keep it hydrated.
Shy

82 21,077
 05-14-2016, 12:06 PM
User Info
All good advice. Loading the brush with enough product is key, then gradually incorporate water to hydrate the lather. Also I would test lather using bottled water to eliminate hard water from the equation.

0 650
 05-14-2016, 01:15 PM
User Info
Something that has always worked for me in terms of loading is, load the brush until you have what looks like nice useable shaving lather on your brush and puck. Then go to the face or bowl for finishing your hydration and application etc. Start out slightly damp and as you load continue to wet just the the tips and swirl slowly with little pressure. This method has always enabled me to load more than enough soap while eliminating bubbles and excessive air in the soap water ratio. Hope this helps and enjoy that beautiful brush.

60 1,510
 05-14-2016, 11:25 PM
User Info
(05-14-2016, 11:38 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: 90% of the rookie mistakes, when beginners have trouble loading a brush is because they load too little product.

If you want a big brush, accept that you need to use more product.

Or else sell the brush and stay with smaller brushes or boars or even more economical, use synhetics. Synthetics lather far more easy than badger brushes, they are far cheaper, thus a better solution for beginners.

You need to load the living life out of the brush. And when you use Castle Forbes, have patience and add more water than you think you need, but add the water little by little, or you will destroy the lather.

Also remember, that just as boars, badgers need a little time before they perform to their best. Not as long break in as boars, but badgers need to be used 5-10 times before they perform to their best potential.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions.

It did wonders today. I loaded the brush with more of the software. Added the right amount of water. Gave more time to lather.

The Shave was awesome. Thanks again.

1 795
 05-14-2016, 11:26 PM
User Info
(05-14-2016, 01:15 PM)ultra~nova Wrote: Something that has always worked for me in terms of loading is, load the brush until you have what looks like nice useable shaving lather on your brush and puck. Then go to the face or bowl for finishing your hydration and application etc. Start out slightly damp and as you load continue to wet just the the tips and swirl slowly with little pressure. This method has always enabled me to load more than enough soap while eliminating bubbles and excessive air in the soap water ratio. Hope this helps and enjoy that beautiful brush.

I did follow most of the instructions right. Had a great time shaving today. Brush was oozing with lather.

Many thanks.

1 795
 05-14-2016, 11:30 PM
User Info
(05-14-2016, 12:06 PM)ssultan Wrote: All good advice. Loading the brush with enough product is key, then gradually incorporate water to hydrate the lather. Also I would test lather using bottled water to eliminate hard water from the equation.

Well this is a little different suggestion. And you have made me curious about this bottled water thing.I will try this for sure next time to see if there is any improvement in the quality and quantity of lather.

Thanks.

1 795
 05-15-2016, 12:52 AM
User Info
(05-14-2016, 11:30 PM)Jags009 Wrote:
(05-14-2016, 12:06 PM)ssultan Wrote: All good advice. Loading the brush with enough product is key, then gradually incorporate water to hydrate the lather. Also I would test lather using bottled water to eliminate hard water from the equation.

Well this is a little different suggestion. And you have made me curious about this bottled water thing.I will try this for sure next time to see if there is any improvement in the quality and quantity of lather.

Thanks.

You're using Castle Forbes.
The issue is not hard water.
It's lack of experience.

Load more product.
Much more product.
Use more water.
Gradually add drop by drop of water.
Have patience.

24 5,963
 05-15-2016, 02:07 AM
User Info
I had the same issue when I started Jags, good to see your on the right track now. Not sure if its of any use now, but I loaded just the top band very heavily (so no mashing) and as others have mentioned plenty of water. Basically the lather if collecting at the base will be wetter and thus allow for better flow through. I found like yourself if the brush is completely saturated when loaded, by the end of my 2 pass, I can't get much more out of the brush unless I squeeze it. This can be disheartening after paying so much. So now I just load heavy with the tips and use plenty of water. Bottled or Distilled water will also help if you have hard water.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

0 846
 05-15-2016, 04:03 AM
User Info
(05-15-2016, 02:07 AM)Nishy Wrote: I had the same issue when I started Jags, good to see your on the right track now. Not sure if its of any use now, but I loaded just the top band very heavily (so no mashing) and as others have mentioned plenty of water. Basically the lather if collecting at the base will be wetter and thus allow for better flow through. I found like yourself if the brush is completely saturated when loaded, by the end of my 2 pass, I can't get much more out of the brush unless I squeeze it. This can be disheartening after paying so much. So now I just load heavy with the tips and use plenty of water. Bottled or Distilled water will also help if you have hard water.

Thanks Nishy for the inputs. By and large I guess I have nailed the issue. Made some corrections in the technique,as was suggested by other friends and voila.

I don't have hard water challenge but I am just curious if RO or bottled water would have any difference on the quality n quantity of lather.

Thanks a lot again.

1 795
 05-15-2016, 04:28 AM
User Info
Hi Jags, the only reason I use distilled water is to preserve the hairs of my badgers. I get a lot of calcium deposits which may in the long run make the hairs more brittle. With regards to lather quality I don't see a huge difference just load more product in hard water.

0 846