05-15-2016, 04:54 AM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
I just reached for one of my favorite AS (Vito's After Shaving), which is a few years old.  I noticed it was cloudy but I poured a dash in my hands and the stuff in the bottle went from cloudy to downright milky.  Has this happened to others?  Any explanation?

I also saw cloudiness in my Floid Suave, but did not use it.

1 795
 05-15-2016, 05:20 AM
User Info
Need another chemist (or CSI - AS) to chime in here...sounds possibly like another ingredient entered the bottle.

36 892
 05-15-2016, 08:38 AM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
It does sound like that.  I just cannot imagine what.  I do not think a bit of water would cause this as these compositions include some water and alcohol, which are clearly water soluble.  The ingredients are as listed below.  The first three, which are the most abundant are water soluble.  I cannot imagine having "poured" some solvent in there.  I'm just at a loss for an explanation.

INGREDIENTS: alcohol denat, aqua, glycerin, PEG-40 hydrogenated castor oil, parfum, simethicone, benzyl benzoate, citronellol, coumarin, geraniol, linalool, citral, CI 16255, CI 19140.

This is what some website (Answers.com) had:

Your aftershave has turned cloudy because the ingredients have separated. This means that it was exposed to light or a change in temperature that caused a chemical reaction.

1 795
 09-11-2016, 11:14 AM
  • RSP1
  • Western NY
User Info
Sounds like bacteria started growing in there somehow? Was thelkid off for an extended period of time? If so, alcohol will pull water from the air and it will self-dilute. It would have to be really really weak for anything to be able to grow though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 323