05-15-2016, 06:58 PM
User Info
I have this cool blade hone that I picked up with an antique lot about a year ago. Its primarily been sitting in the closet untouched and unused. I saw it tonight and thought what the hell, I think I'm going to try this thing out. Its simple to use, a couple circles on each side of the blade and your done, very light pressure. I used an Astra SP, it was the first time I used 1 and I was not impressed at all. I used 1 honed blade on the right side of my face to start, then switched blades to an unhoned sp for the left side of my face. The right side was smooth and decently sharp with very mild tug on the chin. The left side was noticeably duller and not as smooth, a touch more tug on the chin. I left the unhoned blade in for the right side on my second pass. I really noticed the difference on this second pass, XTG. The right side gave me a nick on my chin, it was noticeably less smooth, and eh kindve sharp but nothing like a voshkod or Polsilver. I put the honed blade back in and went XTG on the left side of my face. Noticeably smooth and a touch sharper. I left the honed blade in for the third pass, It was a noticeable difference and I really didn't care for the Astra so, I probably won't use that blade again , but this hone did make the shave decent. So I'm wondering if anybody else has tried one of these? I've seen plenty of handstropping threads but nothing pike this. Let's hear your guys experiences with stuff along these lines. Here's some pics

[Image: vMRCGoY.jpg][Image: 1jq8urM.jpg]
[Image: hE2BJ94.jpg][Image: EuGT9aP.jpg]

28 779
 05-15-2016, 07:04 PM
User Info
I have a bunch of things like that.

Never tried them.

They were made for carbon blades. I guess if you do it long enough it would do something to stainless blades. I just think good blades are inexpensive enough to not bother. Interesting you could get an improvement. 

Reminds me of 1984.

I know one thing Twin Plex don't do squat.

9 1,410
 05-16-2016, 04:10 PM
User Info
(05-15-2016, 07:04 PM)bakerbarber Wrote: I have a bunch of things like that.

Never tried them.

They were made for carbon blades. I guess if you do it long enough it would do something to stainless blades. I just think good blades are inexpensive enough to not bother. Interesting you could get an improvement. 

Reminds me of 1984.

I know one thing Twin Plex don't do squat.

I thought it was a gimmick, its been sitting there for a year and I figured what the hell. I'll do more testing, I think a feather blade would be interesting as they're known to be harsh. I'd also like to see how many uses I could get out of a polsilver , more testing to come, but I only shave 2-3 times per week so it will be slow

28 779