05-16-2016, 03:58 AM
User Info
I have looked everywhere I can think of but I would like to polish my ATT R1 razor to a mirror finish but can not seem to find the polishes required to do this.  Can someone help in this matter.  Thank you in advance for your help.

5 164
 05-16-2016, 04:29 AM
User Info
(05-16-2016, 03:58 AM)Mastermason151 Wrote: I have looked everywhere I can think of but I would like to polish my ATT R1 razor to a mirror finish but can not seem to find the polishes required to do this.  Can someone help in this matter.  Thank you in advance for your help.

Wet sand to a high grit (the higher the grit, the better the polish). When moving to the next grit paper, sand perpendicular to the previous paper to easily see that all sanding marks are removed. You will probably want at least two polishing compounds. Black emery is a good coarse compound to start with. Use it with a tightly stitched buffing wheel (felt bob on a Dremel does well, too). Your final polish should be a rouge, probably green. Use a loosely stitched fabric wheel for this step. The sanding is the key. Don't rush the early steps or you will be left with marks.

0 670
 05-16-2016, 04:34 AM
User Info
It may not be as simple as using polish and a rag.

To get a  mirror finish on metal,  you need to remove the outer layers of oxidation through a mechanical process of aggressively removing the outer layers with the progression of abrasives. 

In a nut shell, wet sanding and buffing wheel. When done properly, you can take a rusty piece of steel and turn into a mirror.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polishin...alworking)

It is a process, but you can get great results.

Tim

8 111
 05-16-2016, 08:22 AM
User Info
A good hobby shop that carries model cars may have a product known as a MicroMesh Abrasives Polishing Kit.  That's the original manufacturers name although it is re-branded at the hobby stores as a Revell product.  It's six fabric backed abrasive clothes in the following grits: 3200,3600,4000,6000,8000, and 12,000.  That's right, the coarsest grit is 3200!  These are washable and re-usable.  They were developed for polishing aircraft windshields to crystal clear transparency.  Model car guys discovered that you could wet sand a paint job on a model and make it look like a custom full size car.  And personally, I've discovered that if you start with the finest grade you can get from your local auto supply which is usually around 2000 and then use the MicroMesh set of cloths you can polish razors to perfection.  Like, as nice as the top cap of a brand new Muhle or EJ, only it's bare metal not plated.  I have taken a couple of fairly dull and scratch wounded NEW Long Combs, removed every scratch and blemish with this method and had them plated by Chris at Razorplate.com in nickel.  Here's a photo to show the results.  Even though the razor is now plated, the plating will not improve or conceal a poorly prepared surface. Prior to the nickel plating the surface of this brass was mirror perfect. And can be done by hand with a dish of water for the sanding clothes while watching T.V.

1 227
 05-16-2016, 08:38 AM
User Info
Hmmm.  After several attempts, I can't seem to upload an image.  Weird, I haven't had trouble before.

1 227
 05-16-2016, 09:04 AM
User Info
 05-16-2016, 02:18 PM
User Info
Nice tip Laird. Looks great!

My one tip in general is that if you have a  Dremmel, it can and will do more harm than good in the blink of an eye. Practice on a piece you can live with ruining. It can work wonders but it takes patience.

10 1,435
 05-17-2016, 05:41 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
I have been in both the Shoe Repair and Optical business and one tip for machine buffing is ....Let the wheel do its job..don,t press to hard...have a variety of different buffing pads...(coarse to extra fine)...several buffing compounds...and enjoy the process....also lot,s of dust so wear a mask and/or...have someone do it for you.....oh yah..sometimes the wheel can catch the part and it will fly out of your hands and get bent or damaged...so have fun !!!!

6 2,036
 05-20-2016, 08:45 PM
User Info
Looking for a company that would do this for me.  I'm not looking to learn on my ATT.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

6 198
 05-21-2016, 09:12 AM
User Info
Well, if you use the MicroMesh (Revell) sanding/polishing cloths you can do it by hand.  It's a slower process than using a bench mounted machine or a hand held Dremel type tool and has less risk of error as you can judge your progress along the way.  I would suggest being the most careful polishing the areas under the top cap and along the base plate that hold the blade so as not to change the blade gap tolerances.  Good luck with your project, it should look awesome.

1 227
 06-16-2016, 05:15 AM
User Info
Has anyone tried to using 600 grit sand paper then 2000 grit and next W. J. Hagerty 100 All Metal Polish with rouge on a cotton cloth, followed up with Maas All metal polish on another cotton cloth?

0 2
 03-04-2017, 01:17 PM
  • doc47
  • Northern Arizona
User Info
For light polishing I use a cloth and MAAS polish to get rid go surface scratches.

11 659
 03-04-2017, 08:41 PM
User Info
If you do any reloading or just happen to have a vibrating walnut media polisher, that would likely be the easiest.  I did my ATT razor this way for just a couple of hours, and it made a huge difference.  Not quite mirror, but with fresh media, a bit of polish and a more time, it would be quite close.  One would need to clean up the machining texture with a buffing wheel to make it truly mirror-like.

27 246