05-16-2016, 07:13 AM
  • Viking
  • Artisan - Soap & Cosmetics
  • Ames, Iowa
User Info
Greetings Wet Shaving Friends!

I am very excited and happy to announce and officially launch Viking Soap & Cosmetic Goods with the fine folks of 'The Shave Nook' !

My name is Andrew, and I have been a wet shaver for a long time, and have been an avid DIY-er for most of that time. In fact, wet shaving is what got me interested in most of the hobbies I participate in today.

One such hobby is soap and aftershave making. It's something I've done for many years, and as a hobby it has ebbed and flowed - but I came back to it with renewed vigor this spring and decided to follow my dream and turn it into a side gig sharing my passion for making fine shaving & cosmetic-related goods. I hope you folks will experience some enjoyment with the products I create by hand out of my home in Central Iowa.

I know there are a lot of other options for shaving soap/body soap/aftershaves on the market today, but I hope you'll find that the research, passion and love that I put into making my products will give you a very pleasant shaving and cleansing experience. My shaving soap is definitely Italian influenced and should be considered a 'croap', and is tallow-based. It also contains lanolin, so please take note of that if you are sensitive to it. I think you'll find that my formulation makes great lather, provides ample slickness, and has a great post-shave feel - all due to the high quality ingredients and recipe. 

We currently have 5 shaving soap scents available, and will likely be adding a few other options over coming months. To be sure, more aftershave balm scents will be added, and I hope to add in an aftershave splash soon as well (that one is still under intense R&D). For body soap, I like to play around with scents, so stay tuned for updates as curing soap becomes available. 

If there are any questions, please feel free to post them in the thread, or contact me via PM. Feedback is also always appreciated.

Stop by and visit me at: Viking Shaving Soap & Cosmetic Goods

[Image: Shaving-OldNorse-Thumb.jpg]

[Image: ShaveLather.jpg]

Have a great day!

10 231
 05-16-2016, 07:30 AM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
Congratulations on your launch, Andrew!

Just ordered a container of the Tree of Life. Looking forward to trying it!

Best regards,
Alex

111 1,411
 05-16-2016, 08:12 AM
User Info
It's good to see Vikings over there in Vinland as well Wink  Congrats on the launch, and try not to go berserk Tongue

3 4,374
 05-16-2016, 08:21 AM
User Info
Congrats on your launch! I look forward to trying them out!

Edit: Just ordered the Citron. Look forward to trying!

147 3,465
 05-16-2016, 08:31 AM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
Congrats on your launch.  I love how you show lather shots with your soaps!  Cool

Eric

46 935
 05-16-2016, 08:38 AM
User Info
Andrew makes amazing shave soap. I have had the pleasure of using old Norse for the past few weeks. It has an amazing secent, slickness is superb for several lathers, and the soap has amazing cushion. I am going to be ordering his other soaps once I get paid this Friday.

15 162
 05-16-2016, 07:30 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
"If you build it, they will come".

2 3,171
 05-17-2016, 06:02 AM
User Info
Great looking site and products lineup. Congratulations Andrew and best of luck.

119 13,021
 05-17-2016, 11:23 AM
  • Viking
  • Ames, Iowa
User Info
It was brought to my attention that there were some shipping errors (or lack of any shipping option to be more specific) on the website with certain orders. I apologize to anyone who encountered this and the issue has been resolved. 

Thanks for the orders and well wishes so far!

10 231
 05-17-2016, 05:33 PM
User Info
Welcome as an artisan  Andrew.  Looking forward to trying your shaving and bath soaps.

48 5,734
 05-17-2016, 06:02 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
Very nice looking forward to trying Citron out

118 1,708
 05-24-2016, 06:37 PM
User Info
Just received my Hedeby, after one shave, I'm very impressed.
Definitely would recommend.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

1 94
 05-24-2016, 07:49 PM
User Info
Anything with Vikings has to be awesome, right?

Love the font and logo, very nicely done.

13 471
 05-24-2016, 08:07 PM
User Info
Are you a real Viking or fake Are you from Scandinavia ?

24 5,857
 05-24-2016, 08:38 PM
  • Viking
  • Ames, Iowa
User Info
(05-24-2016, 06:37 PM)kberga69 Wrote: Just received my Hedeby, after one shave, I'm very impressed.

Thanks much for your kind words.

(05-24-2016, 07:49 PM)22bulldog Wrote: Anything with Vikings has to be awesome, right?

Right.  Sisi

(05-24-2016, 08:07 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Are you a real Viking or fake Are you from Scandinavia ?

Real, but a few generations removed stateside. On my dad's side, my grandmother (Bobjerg) was born in Denmark and her family then emigrated to the USA, while my great grandfather was Danish (Hojbjerg) and my grandfather was born shortly after they emigrated to the USA. Not as robut on my Mom's side, but my grandmother's parents were Swedish and Norwegian.

Plus, my friend in college used to call me "the Cornfed Viking" - I almost went with that name, but liked simply 'Viking' better.  Biggrin

10 231
 05-25-2016, 04:11 PM
User Info
(05-24-2016, 08:38 PM)Viking Wrote:
(05-24-2016, 06:37 PM)kberga69 Wrote: Just received my Hedeby, after one shave, I'm very impressed.

Thanks much for your kind words.

(05-24-2016, 07:49 PM)22bulldog Wrote: Anything with Vikings has to be awesome, right?

Right.  Sisi

(05-24-2016, 08:07 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Are you a real Viking or fake Are you from Scandinavia ?

Real, but a few generations removed stateside. On my dad's side, my grandmother (Bobjerg) was born in Denmark and her family then emigrated to the USA, while my great grandfather was Danish (Hojbjerg) and my grandfather was born shortly after they emigrated to the USA. Not as robut on my Mom's side, but my grandmother's parents were Swedish and Norwegian.

Plus, my friend in college used to call me "the Cornfed Viking" - I almost went with that name, but liked simply 'Viking' better.  Biggrin

Great story, my Viking friend !
Do you speak any Danish ?

The name Hedeby is actually a small city where some of my family originates from

It's one of the first official Danish cities, made by the Vikings

24 5,857
 05-25-2016, 05:21 PM
  • Viking
  • Ames, Iowa
User Info
(05-25-2016, 04:11 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Great story, my Viking friend !
Do you speak any Danish ?

The name Hedeby is actually a small city where some of my family originates from

It's one of the first official Danish cities, made by the Vikings

Just a few phrases. Grandparents spoke fluently, but sadly was never passed down to my dad or his brothers. I do love the way the language sounds though!

I read that the large Viking grave site at Hedeby was where it was determined by archaeologists that they wore plaid, that's why I named the 'tweed' scented shaving soap after Hedeby.  Smile

FYI Folks, I will be starting a separate thread to post updates to the product line for a short while, then once the line-up is 'set,' will change over to product specific threads with new updates as I reckon they will be fewer and further between at that point, but we'll see! Thanks again for the support so far!

10 231
 05-25-2016, 05:41 PM
User Info
Andrew, what is your favorite scent?

13 471
 05-25-2016, 07:22 PM
  • Viking
  • Ames, Iowa
User Info
(05-25-2016, 05:41 PM)22bulldog Wrote: Andrew, what is your favorite scent?

Brad, that is a great question. I am a big fan of 'barbershop' type scents, so I love the 'Old Norse,' but the one that has really grown on me is the 'Tree of Life,' which has dominant notes of oakmoss and sandalwood. I will have a matching aftershave balm dialed in for both of those hopefully sometime over the coming weekend.

10 231
 06-01-2016, 02:42 PM
User Info
i bought 2 shaving soaps and 2 bathing soaps on andrews launch...

so far all have been awesome.... minus the conditioning soap... damn thing was so good the wifey won't let me use it... claimed it hers... sigh

0 96