05-17-2016, 08:52 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I was sad to see that Guy Clark passed away today at the age of 74. Guy Clark was one of the Texas Folk/Country singers from the 1970's (including Townes Van Zandt and Jerry Jeff Walker among others). If you do not know him by name, you are almost guaranteed to have heard his songs. He will be missed.

46 18,385
 05-17-2016, 09:11 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Folkscene is a SOCAl program heard on many stations (KPFK 90.7 Sunday evenings). They used to host house concerts in the late 70s early 80s and I enjoyed an evening sitting on the floor a few feet from Guy performing. Facepalm

2 3,171
 05-17-2016, 09:26 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(05-17-2016, 09:11 PM)kav Wrote: Folkscene is a SOCAl program heard on many stations (KPFK 90.7 Sunday evenings). They used to host house concerts in the late 70s early 80s and I enjoyed an evening sitting on the floor a few feet from Guy performing. Facepalm

That would have been great! I never got a chance to see him in person. I did not realize that he also made guitars by hand and once owned a guitar shop.

46 18,385
 05-17-2016, 09:34 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Phil, there are several venues for folk and various ethnic artists in socal. Roz Larman of Folkscene is a treasure of past and present performances and local events. I heard a student of Ravi Shankar one week ( and was the only guest who tucked the soles of my feet under and whispered to everyone else to do same) and two former members of the  The Bothy Band the next month; who recognized me from an earlier performance in
Santa Cruz. The saddest was Stan Rogers of Canada, who died in a aircraft fire returning home.

2 3,171
 05-18-2016, 12:51 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
There was a small smokey club  in the 70's known as the Emporium in Dallas and Guy and Jerry Jeff would visit from time to time.  Had a chance to hear them both along with Woody Guthrie.   Good times were had by all.  I miss those days.

178 23,809
 05-18-2016, 05:24 AM
User Info
One of the best shows I've ever seen was Guy with his friend Verlin(sp?) playing guitar and singing songs about 10 years ago.
Great storytelling, great playing- pure entertainment.
I know he's been sick for a while. Very sad he's so young.
Good day to have some homegrown tomatoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 1,673
 05-18-2016, 08:20 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(05-18-2016, 12:51 AM)Johnny Wrote: There was a small smokey club  in the 70's known as the Emporium in Dallas and Guy and Jerry Jeff would visit from time to time.  Had a chance to hear them both along with Woody Guthrie.   Good times were had by all.  I miss those days.

Sounds like a great place and time. I have heard some of the live recordings from that club on Pandora Radio and would have loved to have seen them in person.

46 18,385
 05-18-2016, 04:00 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
As an Austin resident in the mid-late 70's, I listened to a lot of Guy Clark. He was not well known, but his song-writing was stellar. I'm pleased that, in the last couple of years, he was able to make some real money (presumably) by selling one of his many great songs, performed by him (!), to a major national ad TV campaign. Television ads don't work on me, but does anyone remember that ad campaign?

6 357
 05-22-2016, 04:06 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Just saw this thread. Sad news about Guy. The only time I saw him perform was about 5 years ago on Long Island. He shared the stage with Lyle Lovett, Joe Ely and John Hiatt. They played individually and in all the possible combinations and permutations for almost three hours. It was just each man and his acoustic guitar. Definitely one of the most memorable shows I've ever had the pleasure of attending.

RIP GC

7 2,164
 05-22-2016, 04:27 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(05-22-2016, 04:06 PM)chazt Wrote: Just saw this thread. Sad news about Guy. The only time I saw him perform was about 5 years ago on Long Island. He shared the stage with Lyle Lovett, Joe Ely and John Hiatt. They played individually and in all the possible combinations and permutations for almost three hours. It was just each man and his acoustic guitar. Definitely one of the most memorable shows I've ever had the pleasure of attending.

RIP GC

That sounds like a great concert!

46 18,385
 05-22-2016, 06:33 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(05-22-2016, 04:27 PM)bullgoose Wrote:
(05-22-2016, 04:06 PM)chazt Wrote: Just saw this thread. Sad news about Guy. The only time I saw him perform was about 5 years ago on Long Island. He shared the stage with Lyle Lovett, Joe Ely and John Hiatt. They played individually and in all the possible combinations and permutations for almost three hours. It was just each man and his acoustic guitar. Definitely one of the most memorable shows I've ever had the pleasure of attending.

RIP GC

That sounds like a great concert!

Phil, you know how once every six blue moons or so, the stars align and real mystical and magical stuff happens? This was one of those nights.
     I'd bought the ticket months in advance. NOBODY I asked wanted to see this show. And I've got a pretty sizable circle of concert-going pals, including swmbo, and not even she was interested! To this day, I can't believe none of those !&@$s wanted to go!
   Well, the day finally arrived! It was mid February about 5 or 6 (+?) years ago. The snow started the night before. And it kept snowing through the next afternoon, the day of the show. There was probably a foot of snow in most areas. I thought for sure the venue would cancel - they didn't - the concert was on!
    Incredible but true all the roads between my home and the theater were cleaned and passable an hour before show time so I ventured out. I was the only car on the road for most of the 20 minute drive, and was the first car in the parking lot. I thought I'd be seeing a private concert Smile. All of a sudden cars began to file into the lot.
    This theater is pretty unique. It used to be known as Westbury Music Fair (now some other corp sponsor owns the joint). It's a round stage that rotates slowly, about 300 degrees or so. I find it somewhat amusing to see different performers' reactions when they appear there the first time.
     Anyway, the lights dimmed pretty much on time, and I and what seemed to be a few hundred intrepid music lovers were treated to an evening of absolutely brilliant performances! I'd love to get a copy of that show!

7 2,164
 05-22-2016, 07:13 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
Great story Charlie! I wonder if you can find the show on YouTube. It may not have professional sound quality but, it would be nice to revisit.

46 18,385
 05-23-2016, 08:39 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Did a little digging during lunch... There are indeed videos of those men performing on youtube. It was a regular gig they all obviously enjoyed doing together. Apparently Joe Ely masterminded it. I always thought Lyle Lovett was responsible.

Anyway, it just shows how fried I am. The show I saw was Feb. 12, 2006.

Hey, I never used those brain cells anyway!

7 2,164