05-18-2016, 06:02 AM
User Info
Hi everyone, for the last few years i've been rotating between a Frank Shaving badger brush (doesn't feel too bad) and an Omega 31064.

I find the Omega very soft (which I like) and comfortable but it's a bit floppy. It's also a bit on the large side.  It's also been a terrible shedder, loosing one or two bristle every single shave for the last two years. Lately it's been giving me a hard time. It simply does not lather like it used to even after several cleanings. I would like to purchase a nice luxurious badger eventually but for now It's not a high priority in my budget. I was thing maybe getting a higher end boar brush for now.  I've been spending way too much time thinking this over so I thought I would ask everyone's opinion.

I hear Semogue is nice but takes forever to break in, may be floppy and may not be as soft as my current Omega. Say I'd go with a Semogue, which one do you think would suit me best?

I was also considering Zenith.  The prices are lower than Semogue and I like the look of the aluminum handles. They are supposedly very dense and soft. I'm not quite sure about the knot/loft. I can get 26/57 and 26/64. The vendor says the glue bump makes the effective loft around 52-54mm for the 57mm brush and 58-61mm for the 64mm one.

I'd love to hear your thoughts. thank you!

0 72
 05-18-2016, 06:14 AM
User Info
You might want to consider the RazoRock boar brushes as they have the Zenith knots. I believe Joe confirmed this. He has some on his sight either with the plastic handle or the nicer wooden handle.
Good luck.

82 21,056
 05-18-2016, 06:34 AM
User Info
You're right Celestino. They have the "Blondie", which is 26mm/64mm. That one is plastic. I've heard those are Zenith knots. Comes out to roughly the same price shipped as the aluminum Zenith on TVBshaving (1$ CDN more for the true Zenith). I guess the decision comes down to what loft I prefer and if i'm willing to wait or not.

Has anyone tried both Zenith and Semogue?

0 72
 05-18-2016, 06:42 AM
  • clint64
  • Atlanta, GA
User Info
I have just received a Zenith Pro B02 Boar brush with a loft of 26x57.  I will say that out of the box the brush had little to no odor.  I found the tips on the second use to be as soft or softer than my Omega Pro 49 which has been used over a 100 times.  Overall I am very pleased with the purchase.

7 1,163
 05-18-2016, 06:48 AM
User Info
I would vote for an Omega 10049.  However, if only choosing between the zenith and an semogue, go with a Semogue.  I prefer the owners club, but the 820 and 620 are also nice.  I did not like the Zeniths I had.  The knots did not seem to be well made to me.

87 892
 05-18-2016, 07:48 AM
User Info
(05-18-2016, 06:34 AM)crenedecotret Wrote: You're right Celestino. They have the "Blondie", which is 26mm/64mm. That one is plastic. I've heard those are Zenith knots. Comes out to roughly the same price shipped as the aluminum Zenith on TVBshaving (1$ CDN more for the true Zenith). I guess the decision comes down to what loft I prefer and if i'm willing to wait or not.

Has anyone tried both Zenith and Semogue?

Well, best of luck.

By the way, I have tried quite a few Semogues, but I prefer the Omega Pro #48 & #49 for their larger knots which have more backbone than any of the Semogues I have tried. This might be heresy since I am Portuguese, though. Biggrin

82 21,056
 05-18-2016, 08:34 AM
User Info
So I'll go the traditional forum route and get two brushes. I can get a 49 locally for pretty cheap, so I'll get that and the next time I order online i'll throw in a Zenith or RR and perhaps get free shipping. These are not 200$ badgers and are pretty cheap after all.

0 72
 05-18-2016, 08:37 AM
User Info
Don't know if its possible to go wrong with a Semouge SOC...probably as it stands today one if not the best boar brush of all time.

5 139
 05-18-2016, 08:38 AM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
I have used Semogues, Omegas, Zeniths, and Antica Barbierai colla boar brushes. Out of the bunch, I prefer the Zenith knots. The Omega 48 was too floppy. The Semogues are very good and a close second place. The ABC boar is very dense with soft tips. Maybe too much backbone for me. The Zeniths knots are the perfect blean of everything. right in the middle. Soft tips with a little more backbone than the Omega 48.

To clarify, I have the Zenith in the plastic hanlde (reknotted into a RV hanlde). It may be different than the aluminum handle version. The only reason I say this is because the aluminum version is supposedly the same as the ABC boar. I can tell you that my ABC boar is not anything like the Zenith brush I have. ABC being softer and much much more dense.

72 1,225
 05-18-2016, 10:45 AM
User Info
(05-18-2016, 08:38 AM)Gabe Wrote: To clarify, I have the Zenith in the plastic hanlde (reknotted into a RV hanlde). It may be different than the aluminum handle version. The only reason I say this is because the aluminum version is supposedly the same as the ABC boar. I can tell you that my ABC boar is not anything like the Zenith brush I have. ABC being softer and much much more dense.

Gabe, this is quite interesting as Joe (RazorRock) confirmed that ABC knots are Zenith. I wonder if the ABC is just a denser knot, but what would account for it being softer?

82 21,056
 05-18-2016, 12:31 PM
User Info
I have tried several knots of the 3 brands and based purely on the knot this is my ranking:

1. Zenith (super soft before the first use and it maintains the knot shape)
2. Omega (soft with use, a good all-around performer)
3. Semogue (I looove their handles, but I hate the spring-ness of the hairs, and how the knot gets twisted or all pointing outwards with use)

13 119
 05-18-2016, 02:24 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
(05-18-2016, 10:45 AM)celestino Wrote:
(05-18-2016, 08:38 AM)Gabe Wrote: To clarify, I have the Zenith in the plastic hanlde (reknotted into a RV hanlde). It may be different than the aluminum handle version. The only reason I say this is because the aluminum version is supposedly the same as the ABC boar. I can tell you that my ABC boar is not anything like the Zenith brush I have. ABC being softer and much much more dense.

Gabe, this is quite interesting as Joe (RazorRock) confirmed that ABC knots are Zenith. I wonder if the ABC is just a denser knot, but what would account for it being softer?

Side by side pics to come. This thing called work really gets in the way of my hobbies.

72 1,225
 05-18-2016, 02:38 PM
User Info
High marks from me for the Omega #48 and #49 as well. Semogue shines brightly with the simple #2000 as well. I just love the old Italian Barber pro boars though for bang for the buck!

19 775
 05-18-2016, 07:19 PM
User Info
(05-18-2016, 02:24 PM)Gabe Wrote: Side by side pics to come. This thing called work really gets in the way of my hobbies.

Biggrin

82 21,056
 05-18-2016, 08:21 PM
User Info
I've been pleased with my semogue, but the zenith are high on my list of brushes to try out!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

3 328
 05-19-2016, 02:33 AM
User Info
I am a face latherer and enjoy Omega 40033 and Omega bambino

36 886
 05-19-2016, 12:04 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
As promised. The Zenith knot was removed from a plastic handle Zenith brush. I removed and installed it with the cap so the brush feels the same as the original, but with a different handle. The loft was not altered. 

ABC loft = 60mm
Zenith loft = 65mm

To clarify, I am not saying the ABC is not made by Zenith. 

Bristles- The bristles look the same in structure. They are thinner and seem more fine than the bristles on an Omega 48.  The ABC obviously has whiter bristles. The ABC has softer tips, but I have also had it longer. I can not say that the Zenith will not soften up like the ABC. 

Knot - The ABC knot feels and appears to be more dense.  

Backbone- There is a huge difference in backbone between the two. One reason is the difference in loft. The backbone on the ABC is much greater. The Zenith has maybe a little more back bone than an Omega 48, but its very far from the ABC. 

Again, I used the plastic handle model Zenith for the knot. I have never used the aluminum version and can not say that the knot on the aluminum version is not the same as the ABC. I also can not say that the density would not seem to increase with a shorter loft. Or that the backbone would increase to the level of the ABC. In general the Zenith is very similar to the Omega 48. It has a little more back bone and the bristles seem thinner/more fine. It also took less time to defunk. I purchased an Omega 48 and the Zenith on the same order. I broke them in the same way. I eventually got rid of the Omega because it is so similar to the Zenith. I prefer the Zenith because the knot seems like higher quality. 

[Image: z1LzXNQ.jpg]
[Image: Y4dD8DQ.jpg]
[Image: js4LTqx.jpg]
[Image: iZvLONk.jpg]

72 1,225