05-18-2016, 06:52 AM
User Info
Had (2) shaves now with Peter Charkalis' Acqua di Florida (Ok well, Ginger Gardens' Acqua di Florida).  I am extremely impressed with both the cushion and slickness, and the matching aftershave is top notch (both the soap and AS are up there with some of my top performers).  Customer service was great as well.  I had never smelled the original Florida Water, but its got a fizzy/fresh thing going on.

Anyone used any of his other stuff?  Freud Blue?  Colonia?

13 466
 05-18-2016, 08:03 AM
User Info
I've used other shave soaps from the artisans he buys his stuff from but nothing from "Peter Balls Charky" yet.

It's weird, I get kind of a bad taste from his whole trip though. He started off being super friendly, made a group on FB called Shaving Soaps and Good Stink, made more friends and became real popular on FB. Then he decided to start the Shaving Shop by getting artisans to make soap for him. He has a really good paying day job and it makes me wonder why he felt the need to make cash off his friends and fellow hobbyists.

0 73
 05-19-2016, 03:29 PM
User Info
(05-18-2016, 08:03 AM)LAParker Wrote: I've used other shave soaps from the artisans he buys his stuff from but nothing from "Peter Balls Charky" yet.

It's weird, I get kind of a bad taste from his whole trip though. He started off being super friendly, made a group on FB called Shaving Soaps and Good Stink, made more friends and became real popular on FB. Then he decided to start the Shaving Shop by getting artisans to make soap for him. He has a really good paying day job and it makes me wonder why he felt the need to make cash off his friends and fellow hobbyists.

0 7
 05-19-2016, 03:39 PM
User Info
(05-19-2016, 03:29 PM)Charky Wrote: I'm still a friendly guy LAParker. I have a decent day job, but certainly not wealthy. I started the business for two reasons. First,  my little girl suggested that I should start my own shaving business since I owned so many soaps. Her sarcasm got me thinking...so I can thank her. The Second reason is the fact that I'm 52 now and thinking (worried) about retirement. I have very little towards retirement and the fact is, I'm thinking about this for the first time in my life. I want to have something to fall back on as extra income. There's a third reason. My wife was laid off after 19 years at Xerox. Our medical was through her work, so we have taken a big hit and hoping that this can somewhat supplement the lost income and medical. There you go. That's the truth behind why I started the business.
(05-18-2016, 08:03 AM)LAParker Wrote: I've used other shave soaps from the artisans he buys his stuff from but nothing from "Peter Balls Charky" yet.

0 7
 05-19-2016, 03:54 PM
User Info
I have Franciso (personal favorite), Springtime in Paris, Success, Hedonism.  I would purchase each again.  

I aspire to acquire Cafe au Lait, Emerald Moss, Widow Maker and Barbershop Poivre Rose.

Peter has excelled at customer service and thus far has run a reputable buisiness.  Rather than tackle production he wisely outsources to experienced soap makers to create unique items for sale.  Its quite an innovative business angle if you ask me.

0 229
 05-19-2016, 03:59 PM
User Info
Do you like the scent of Hedonism?

13 466
 05-19-2016, 04:04 PM
User Info
(05-19-2016, 03:59 PM)22bulldog Wrote: Do you like the scent of Hedonism?

Yes.  I have received more compliments with that soap than any other.  It is also a personal favorite of my better half.

0 229
 05-19-2016, 04:38 PM
User Info
Peter and family do a nice job with this business , I have used the Colonia a/s he offers and it is very nice. I will be picking up another bottle or two in the coming weeks. As with all respectable gents in this hobby that decide to venture into the business , I wish you nothing but the best sir and thank you.

59 1,408
 05-19-2016, 04:48 PM
User Info
(05-19-2016, 04:38 PM)ultra~nova Wrote: Peter and family do a nice job with this business , I have used the Colonia a/s he offers and it is very nice. I will be picking up another bottle or two in the coming weeks. As with all respectable gents in this hobby that decide to venture into the business , I wish you nothing but the best sir and thank you.

Thank you!

0 7
 05-19-2016, 05:37 PM
User Info

What difference does it make why he started the business? Or that he has a day job? Lots of people in the wetshaving world have day jobs and run side businesses. He's not forcing you to buy anything. I think his business model is great; gets popular artisans to make soaps to his specs and sells them. Thats the same thing Italian Barber essentially does for his RazoRock soaps.

22 653
 05-19-2016, 05:51 PM
User Info
(05-19-2016, 05:37 PM)Starkicker Wrote:

What difference does it make why he started the business? Or that he has a day job? Lots of people in the wetshaving world have day jobs and run side businesses. He's not forcing you to buy anything. I think his business model is great; gets popular artisans to make soaps to his specs and sells them. Thats the same thing Italian Barber essentially does for his RazoRock soaps.
Thank you Starkicker.  I could see his point (slightly). He mentioned the group I started. That group is really all about matching soaps/AS's & Frags. The fact is, I don't allow vendors to promote their products. That goes for me as well. I also do not promote my channel on the site. Therefore, I'm not using it as a tool to promote my business. Cheers

0 7
 05-19-2016, 05:56 PM
User Info
(05-19-2016, 04:48 PM)Charky Wrote:
(05-19-2016, 04:38 PM)ultra~nova Wrote: Peter and family do a nice job with this business , I have used the Colonia a/s he offers and it is very nice. I will be picking up another bottle or two in the coming weeks. As with all respectable gents in this hobby that decide to venture into the business , I wish you nothing but the best sir and thank you.

Thank you!

Didn't see your intro thread, Peter. Welcome!

(Can't hide from us, we're here, too) Smile

0 1,053
 05-19-2016, 06:01 PM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
For myself I like the small variety of soaps from the various soap makers, the scents and the spacious containers, and especially the creative labels which are a delight. Kudos Peter

50 412
 05-19-2016, 06:59 PM
User Info
(05-19-2016, 05:56 PM)Shannon Wrote:
(05-19-2016, 04:48 PM)Charky Wrote:

Thank you!

Didn't see your intro thread, Peter. Welcome!

(Can't hide from us, we're here, too) Smile

Thank you Brian!

0 7
 05-20-2016, 05:56 AM
User Info
I've loved everything I've gotten from Peter so far and the customer service, packaging are second to none in my opinion.

I'm just patiently waiting for savoy to come back in stock and another order will be on the way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

115 1,005
 05-20-2016, 06:50 AM
User Info
Hi Peter, good to see you here! Keep up the good work, I hear nothing but great things.

3 897
 05-20-2016, 06:00 PM
User Info
Hi Peter, I watch your videos from time to time. Just wanted to say you give me the impression that you're a nice guy, and that I wish you the best in your venture. 

Hope to try your products soon.

10 1,129
 05-20-2016, 06:57 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Peter, thank you for joining TSN.
We encourage your participation here, and please take a moment to review our forum rules regarding Artisans and Vendors.

102 18,552