05-19-2016, 04:46 PM
User Info
Hi I am looking to purchase my first badger brush after using an Omega 10066 boar hair brush the first couple weeks of my start into wet shaving with a DE safety razor.  I have liked it so far but I am interested in a brush with softer tips and a little less backbone that I can still face lather with.  I have seen pretty good reviews on the small but mighty lathering of the Simpson Special and wanted to hear your thoughts.  I would also welcome any other badger brush recommendations under or around $50.  Thanks in advance!  -Kevin

1 28
 05-19-2016, 06:24 PM
User Info
You may want to consider the Vintage Blades 24mm Finest at $34.99.   It's an amazing value.  If you research it you'll find numerous positive posts about this brush.

50 6,089
 05-19-2016, 07:17 PM
User Info
Great, thank you!  I'll definitely check it out.  I've heard a lot about the Silvertip brushes from Larry at Whipped Dog, if anyone has one please let me know how  you like it.

1 28
 05-19-2016, 07:57 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
(05-19-2016, 06:24 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: You may want to consider the Vintage Blades 24mm Finest at $34.99.   It's an amazing value.  If you research it you'll find numerous positive posts about this brush.

+1---As soon as I read the OP, I thought of my Vintage Blades Finest. Excellent brush for the $.

75 1,318
 05-19-2016, 09:03 PM
User Info
If you don't mind purchasing a used brush, BST can get you a lot of brush for the money. For a brand new choice, I think the Simpson Special in Best would be a fine choice. It's a bit on the smaller size, but the handle is really nice. I had a pure for awhile but decided to pass on the pure, but have plans to eventually get a Special in Best again. The Berkeley 46 is a bit of a shorter handle and very nice as well. Just a bit bigger in knot size than the Special. There's more good choices out there than bad ultimately. On the 28th Vintagescent.com will be having a 20% off sale on all their products. 

To get something similar to what you will read about in the forums from many users sticking with Simpson, Thater, and Shavemac would give you results most consistent with what most talk about here and the perceptions of what you might have of how the brushes will perform. Semogue is usually more known for their boar brushes, but I have found their brushes to be very nice. I like the 730 model in particular. While not in the same shape as a chubby or the density, there's just something classic about that brush handle. I feel it's a good knot too. There's one that's a high density model as monikered by the HD designation. I had a 2015HD but something seemed a little off. Not in the quality or anything. I suspect it was more mental than anything to rationalize letting some brushes go to be honest. I'm thinking about picking up a 730HD along with a few others during their sale. The knots are set at a bit of a higher loft for the silvertip versions. There's also the Semogue Owners Club 2 Band Badger brush which might be of interest. I'd really say go with gut overall after listening to the recommendations. I think it's a valid recommendation, and a 730HD model I've estimated to be around 56 dollars.

There's the possibility of going with buying a knot from The Golden Nib and a handle from somewhere like Whipped Dog and I think you will come very close to that model. For a bit more you can get a custom made handle, but that will creep out of the 50 dollar range for sure. I know several love their TGN knots, and I have seen and used some that I like, but ultimately I haven't been too big on most knots you can buy to put in handles. Romera and Envy Shave knots are exceptions here.

I really have to recommend overall a used brush overall. The value through this route is just phenomenal and you can score brushes you'd never even consider normally!

23 632
 05-20-2016, 06:57 AM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
(05-19-2016, 07:17 PM)Kevin1093 Wrote: Great, thank you!  I'll definitely check it out.  I've heard a lot about the Silvertip brushes from Larry at Whipped Dog, if anyone has one please let me know how  you like it.

I have had both the Silvertip and the HMW. The Silvertip has very soft tips and ok backbone. The HMW is more comparable to a Finest. The HMW has more scrub and slightly more backbone than the Silvertip. Both knots are not the densest but feel like good knots. The Vintage blades Finest is more dense than these two. Overall, Whipped Dog brushes are a good way to start. The handles do feel cheap though. But for the $30, you would expect this. The only down side to WD brushes is the occasional shedder. Larry has always maintained superb customer service and usually handles problems promptly. My two didn't shed at all but there are plenty of members who have experienced this (both shedding and Larry's excellent customer service).

I like the idea of a used brush. I have never had a problem purchasing one on this forum. Its similar to purchasing a used car. You can purchase more of brush for your $ if you go used.

75 1,318
 05-20-2016, 10:52 AM
User Info
(05-19-2016, 06:24 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: You may want to consider the Vintage Blades 24mm Finest at $34.99.   It's an amazing value.  If you research it you'll find numerous positive posts about this brush.

Agreed!

20 371
 05-24-2016, 10:16 AM
User Info

+1.  Great brush at your price point.

5 81
 05-24-2016, 11:07 AM
  • gp569900
  • Franklin, TN USA
User Info
Kevin,

I love all of my Simpson brushes. I haven't found one of their brushes I don't enjoy. At the same time, I would strongly encourage you to peruse the Buy/Sell/Trade section. You can find many higher quality values there. 

You can get a much nicer brush that is barely used for the amount you wish to spend. I am about to list over ten brushes for sell. Two come to mind that you might like. First is a Rooney 2/1 in Faux horn. It's a great brush. The other is a Dreadnought Corsair (made by Vulfix, Simpson's parent company). It is denser than the standard Vulfix brushes, but less dense than most Simpson's. Both can be found slightly used for around $50 and cost twice that new.

61 507
 05-24-2016, 11:08 AM
User Info
(05-24-2016, 11:07 AM)gp569900 Wrote: Kevin,

I love all of my Simpson brushes. I haven't found one of their brushes I don't enjoy. At the same time, I would strongly encourage you to peruse the Buy/Sell/Trade section. You can find many higher quality values there. 

You can get a much nicer brush that is barely used for the amount you wish to spend. I am about to list over ten brushes for sell. Two come to mind that you might like. First is a Rooney 2/1 in Faux horn. It's a great brush. The other is a Dreadnought Corsair (made by Vulfix, Simpson's parent company). It is denser than the standard Vulfix brushes, but less dense than most Simpson's. Both can be found slightly used for around $50 and cost twice that new.

Standing by in anticipation.

5 139